Bands you hated/were opinionless of....

Liam

I've had this happen quite a few times. I'll be introduced to a band, and hate them, or be totally meh to thier whole setup, but then sometime down the line, I'll come across them again, and as my music taste has changed, I enjoy them a lot more than the first time round.

The biggest example of this for me is probably Inme. Fair enough, they fit into the guilty pleasures category (as I know how many people detest them), but I went from absolutely hating any single they put out, to now having both albums, and they are on my CD player pretty regularly.

Two other examples, but this time of albums, are Tool - Lateralus, and Deftones - White Pony. I got both of these as I was just starting to try and listen to more alternative music, but I just didn't "get" both of these when I first listened. However, when I dusted Tool off six months later, I loved it. Deftones I was quicker to get into, but it still took me a while, but now, White Pony is one of my favourite albums in my collection.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I saw the video for Paranoid Android I kinda just assumed Radiohead was some weird stoner music. Hail To The Thief turned me onto them something fierce.

Also, the latest Killers song is not terrible. I used to absolutely despise them, now it's just a moderate hatred.

When I saw the video for Paranoid Android I kinda just assumed Radiohead was some weird stoner music. Hail To The Thief turned me onto them something fierce.

Also, the latest Killers song is not terrible. I used to absolutely despise them, now it's just a moderate hatred.

Whats the latest Killers song?

The one in heavy video rotation, with the boomarang throwing chicks in hotpants.

I really just watched it for the chicks, but the song isn't revoltingly bad, thus making it better then previous Killers singles I had heard.

I didn't like Gorillaz much during the "OMG CLINT EASTWOOD" period of 2001 where everyone else loved them. Then I saw the "19/2000" video and my opinion changed very quickly. I still don't care for "Clint Eastwood" too much, actually. It's a decent song and all but it's the second-worst track on the self-titled release (of course, the self-titled album only has one bad track, so...)..

Evanescence. No Way Out 2003, fucking badass song there. However I never really dug anything else the did besides Tourniquet and Whisper (And ofcourse Amy Lee herself). Recently however i've been really getting into their stuff.

There's more that I just can't think of at the moment.

There's been a ton of bands lately, but the only one that really stands out is Coheed & Cambria. I used to always make fun of Dragsy and others for liking them and not The Mars Volta, but now that I listen to the albums, I can see why he likes them so much. Good stuff.

And Welcome Home and Wake Up are badass tracks.

There's been a ton of bands lately, but the only one that really stands out is Coheed & Cambria. I used to always make fun of Dragsy and others for liking them and not The Mars Volta, but now that I listen to the albums, I can see why he likes them so much. Good stuff.

And Welcome Home and Wake Up are badass tracks.

Actually, they'd be another one I'd put up there. I used to rip them, but I quite enjoy thier music now.

The big one was, and it pains me to say it now, The Smiths. I saw the video for This Charming Man on MTV2 many many years ago, and I thought it was utter tripe. I thought the video was awful, the music was naff and Morrissey's voice was ridiculous.

For years I heard loads of people, including bands I was a fan of, citing The Smiths as influences and as one of the greatest bands of all time, and I shrugged it off, thinking they were just awful. It wasn't until around two and a half years ago that I heard Placebo's cover of Bigmouth Strikes Again and quite liked it, and then my friend played me There Is A Light That Never Goes Out, and I've been in love with the whole Queen Is Dead album ever since.

Everyone laughed at them and said they were shit, so I did. Then I actually bought the album and found out they were class.

Thinking about it, I haven't listened to it for a while....I've been drinking tonight, need some music to play...hmmmmm...

*dusts off Darkness CD*