Dealing with a loss...

livid

Tonight, against our cross-town rivals, we lost on the last play of the game. A QB boot. We played shitty in the first half. We played well in the third quarter and we blew in the 4th quarter. This is one of the biggest games of the season and we lost, to a team that's not better than us, because we lost the game on our own. We had so many mistakes, it's not even funny.

What sucks even more is that I'm injured and unable to play what may end up being the entire season.

I've been bawling like a baby for the past hour. How do you guys deal with stuff like this?

You didn't even play and your bawling you eyes out?

I just think thats a little much...

I've never cried over losing in baseball (which I played rep for about 7 years now) and...I just move on and kick the shit out of the next team.

You'll get them next time if you guys stick to your game.

I try not to harp on these things for too long, as a Tiger/Lions fan I'm almost desensitized to losing. Don't hold too much stock into one loss dude, it's not the Super Bowl, or game 7 of the NBA finals. It's not like you are out of the playoff hunt right? Just continue to forge ahead, continue to support your team from the sidelines, as it's as much as you can do right now. I can understand being upset over a tough loss, but it's Highschool Football (from what I gather you're a high school footballer?), and in the grand scheme of your lifespan, this one loss wont alter the course of history for you.

IF playing - I take menthal notes, look at what made us lose and talk with the coach about what we think needs working on, ball retention, handling, kicking for touch. Whatever it may have been and we work on it at the next raining session.

As a fan - Depends on the game, last year Spurs lost 5-4 at home to the gooners. I was there and it was a shame we'd lost but it had been a good game and was far better then a 5-0 blowout. Last week at the lane we lost to Chelski 2 - 0 at home, all stemming from a ridiculous refereeing decision and I'm still bloody anoyed now!

Guest Muthafawkkinmatt

I get super pissed off, even if we are playing football in an empty lot or something. I get mad and start fighting with everyone. Sometimes it carries over to the next day. Two times when I used to play floor hockey they called the cops on me. I cried once before too but I was young maybe about 12 or 13 and we lost the baseball championship. We went undefeated all year, it just sucked so bad. But yeah usually I just get super angry at everyone.

When i used to play id just get on with it and beat them the next time and tell the others what they did wrong (in a constructive way of course) so we can improve for the next time .

When watching Spurs if ive seen us play like complete twats and just not give enough i get pretty pissed off and have a good moan at my mates for a few days then i calm down .

I've never cried over losing in baseball (which I played rep for about 7 years now) and...I just move on and kick the shit out of the next team.

I think lying about your age and your race over the internet is a little much.... :rolleyes:

You lose, you take the extra punishment from Coach the next week, you get your shit together and win the next one. I've never heard of this crying over a loss thing, with the possible exception being state/national title games.

As far as me, I was always angry after a loss, though I never had the cops called on me. Teammates knew to just leave me alone and let me cool off.

You lose, you take the extra punishment from Coach the next week, you get your shit together and win the next one.  I've never heard of this crying over a loss thing, with the possible exception being state/national title games. 

As far as me, I was always angry after a loss, though I never had the cops called on me.  Teammates knew to just leave me alone and let me cool off.

It's still nothing to cry over.

Why? Who the fuck said that a big game, as this is, isn't anything to cry over? It's called emotion and passion. Football is one of the things in my life that I love and when something like this happens, where it's a big game and I am unable to help the team out, I'm going to break down. And it's not like I was the only one that did it, the entire team was. You don't understand how big this game is and you don't understand how many people on our team have a passion for the game.

I may not have played, but that just adds more to it, because like I said, the team could've used me during the game to help out. And believe me, this is the only thing I can remember crying over in the past 10 years, so what? You think "it's nothing to cry over", but I love football and I can't stop that. If I didn't love the sport, we wouldn't be having this discussion, but we are because I have a very strong passion for football and it was a huge game.

I like you TRB, but damn, that's an asshole thing to say, when you have no idea (it seems) how I felt directly after the game.

Oh and bawling might have been too strong of a word, but I was fucking upset.

Dry your eyes, mate >_>

I've only ever cried when Ireland scored against Germany in the 2002 World Cup, but other than that, sport isn't worth crying about, IMO.

Meh, I generally shed a tear or so after I play a crap tennis match, it usually isn't until I discuss it afterwards (last time i remember was not so long ago, when I was accused of cheating more or less which upset me) and one of my best friends started crying when she lost her under 18 final match, but meh, she's on 12 so she probably more likely to cry over this sort of thing.

I think it's worse when you lose a sport you play individually rather than a team sport, because at the end of the day with team sports, at least when I lost a football (soccer) i didn't cry even though we'd get hammered because simply put;

IT WASN'T MY FAULT!

I don't cry if any of my teams lose, I don't go on a shooting rampage, I don't do any of that... I like sports as much as the next guy, but damn, some people take it a little too far... If we lose, I'll just move on with my life... after all, it's only a sport... no matter what sport it is...

I cried when AC Milan beat us (Juve) in the CL final a few years back. Same with when Italy got knocked out by South Korea in the 2002 World Cup. I think I nearly cried when Liverpool beat Juventus this year too.

So yeah, I'm a bit of a cry baby when it comes down to seeing my team lose. Don't find no harm in it though.

I've only cried over two sporting events.

1) My HS football team's loss in the city semifinals last year. I was a senior then, and it was my last game. I believe that playing HS football changed my life in a way that nothing else has: ending that experience was too hard not to cry.

2) The Expos' last home game. I'd been a fan since I was four years old, and it was horrible when I finally realized, after the last out, that the team wasn't going to be saved anymore.