Nintendo Revolution Controller!

illmatic

I love how Nintendo always is trying different things then the competition.

I'm sure you'll especially love it when they're making games for Sony and Microsoft after alienating the consumer eight fucking thousand times. Nintendo are out of their goddamn minds and if the PSP starts putting a big enough dent in Gameboy sales, they're done. I didn't think it was possible to have a worse controller than the PS3, but look, Nintendo did it! I was really intrigued by the idea Nintendo had for this new controller, possible touch screen interface sounded really cool. Now what have they done? Taken a tiny ass remote control, slapped buttons on it, and then a connection wire for the analog stick? People are going to be dropping this controller left and right, it's going to be uncomfortable, and it's just plain ugly. Revolution was the only console I was for-sure going to buy, but I can't fucking play with that controller. Nintendo wanting to be different is going to bankrupt them.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure you'll especially love it when they're making games for Sony and Microsoft after alienating the consumer eight fucking thousand times. Nintendo are out of their goddamn minds and if the PSP starts putting a big enough dent in Gameboy sales, they're done. I didn't think it was possible to have a worse controller than the PS3, but look, Nintendo did it! I was really intrigued by the idea Nintendo had for this new controller, possible touch screen interface sounded really cool. Now what have they done? Taken a tiny ass remote control, slapped buttons on it, and then a connection wire for the analog stick? People are going to be dropping this controller left and right, it's going to be uncomfortable, and it's just plain ugly. Revolution was the only console I was for-sure going to buy, but I can't fucking play with that controller. Nintendo wanting to be different is going to bankrupt them.

it's a bit sad really, their downfall is imminent and should be happening any day. when it does, i'll shed a tear. nintendo was what got me started in gaming. :crying:

Edited by Cloudy

There was a near perfect controller, it was called the PS2 Dual Shock, all it needed was a button where your small fingers would be on the controller so you had extra buttons and to put the analogue in place of the D-Pad. Come to think of it, combine the GameCube and PS2 controllers and you've got perfection IMO.

it's a bit sad really, their downfall is imminent and should be happening any day. when it does, i'll shed a tear. nintendo was what got me started in gaming.  :crying:

It's especially saddening when I think I'll never play Mario, Zelda, or Metroid again since the Big N claims that once they're out of the hardware business, they're out of the game business. Which I doubt is a true statement, probably just something to say to make them sound like they're here to stay. But Nintendo always seems to stand by their statements, they definitely mean it when they say they want to be different and don't want to be involved in Sony vs. Microsoft. Coming out a year later than the X360 and six months later than the PS3 doomed this console from the start, but this controller just pissed on the early grave.

it's a bit sad really, their downfall is imminent and should be happening any day. when it does, i'll shed a tear. nintendo was what got me started in gaming.  :crying:

It's especially saddening when I think I'll never play Mario, Zelda, or Metroid again since the Big N claims that once they're out of the hardware business, they're out of the game business. Which I doubt is a true statement, probably just something to say to make them sound like they're here to stay. But Nintendo always seems to stand by their statements, they definitely mean it when they say they want to be different and don't want to be involved in Sony vs. Microsoft. Coming out a year later than the X360 and six months later than the PS3 doomed this console from the start, but this controller just pissed on the early grave.

you gotta keep the nintendo loyalists in mind though, there's a fair number of them that will probably buy this console regardless of how shite the controller may be.

you gotta keep the nintendo loyalists in mind though, there's a fair number of them that will probably buy this console regardless of how shite the controller may be.

Sega loyalists didn't save the Dreamcast from an early grave, and in it's short two years, it produced more quality games than the XBox has in four years. And it definitely was a better system in its first two years than the PS2. Even if this controller is great (which I highly doubt), Sony and Microsoft will take the best parts of it for their next console and it will probably be loved by the masses, but for Nintendo? The consumer is already weary of them because they "went too kiddie" during the N64 days and just keep getting weirder every generation. Not to mention Third Party Developers, who rarely even bother with Nintendo anymore, now they're going to have to design their games specifically for this console? Say bye bye to any multiplatform titles that companies were planning on putting on the Revolution. They've alienated the consumer, they've alienated third parties, what else is left? You can't keep a system alive on first party games, especially when Nintendo takes their sweet ass time to get the big ones on the shelves.

i think the number of nintendo loyalists far outnumbers sega loyalists, though.

..maybe. >.>

Oh definitely, but it's not enough to keep a system afloat. Nintendo is selling less and less consoles with every generation and now they have two major competitors. Unless Nintendo is banking on everyone who owns a PS3 or X360 buying the Revolution as a second console, I don't understand their business strategy. I'm all about different and cutting-edge, which Nintendo is, but you have to have some appeal to the masses. Nintendo better advertise the hell out of those old school downloads, because as of now, that's the only positive thing I see coming out of the Revolution.

yeah. anyone have any figures on console sales for the ps2, xbox, and gamecube so we can compare/contrast here?

Sorry... maybe I'm being a bit thick.

Where are all the buttons?

These are the buttons I can see. If I'm being a moron, let me know.

B (On top)

B (On back)

Power

D-Pad

A

Select

Home

Start

b

a

Now, of these buttons, we can probably eliminate the power button as an action button, same as start select and home. This leaves

B (On top)

B (On back)

D-Pad

A

b

a

Now the B on the top is unreachable when in the standard position, so are the b and a buttons. This leaves..

B (On back)

D-Pad

A

Assuming the DPad can be used as four buttons, and combine that with the fact that the Analogue stick has two buttons on it, that gives us.

A

B

DU

DD

DL

DR

Analogue 1

Analogue 2

Does anyone else see a problem with this?

I mean the N64 controller had

A

B

CU

CD

CL

CR

DU

DD

DL

DR

L

R

Z

Guest Grapehead

It's funny to see how many people write things off before using it themselves. Oh well, I'll just wait to play the Xbox 360 before I judge it, same with the PS3, hell that's a pretty good way to live, I think I'll just wait until I use anything before I judge it, neat.

There was a near perfect controller, it was called the PS2 Dual Shock, all it needed was a button where your small fingers would be on the controller so you had extra buttons and to put the analogue in place of the D-Pad. Come to think of it, combine the GameCube and PS2 controllers and you've got perfection IMO.

...You mean an Xbox controller?

AHAHAHAHAHA, sorry, that was funny, the X-Box controller is hideously disfigured, it's bloody annoying to hold, I seriously hope it's changed for X-Box2, because that's the only thing really holding me back from buying it.

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=60917

That may be of some relief to some people... I'll quote what I'm specifically talking about...

Eurogamer: How is the controller going to work with games that aren't designed specifically for the Revolution - multi-platform titles and so on?

0Jim Merrick: We're producing a classic-style expansion controller, based on traditional designs like the Gamecube controller. It's like a shell with a hole in the top into which you slot the freehand-style controller, and then you can play third-party ported games, and retro Nintendo games you've downloaded.

So there's that option - but even while it's inserted into the classic-style shell, the freehand controller will still be able to sense positioning and so on, so there are more options too.

It's something that's just as true for the DS - not every game uses the DS's unique features. But some multi-platform titles do, like The Sims 2 for example. We hope other developers will do the same and look at ways their multi-platform titles can make use of the Revolution's features.

Nintendo? The Shit Patrol called, they want their TV remote back!

I absolutely hate this thing. I don't care what doodahs they put on the Revolution, I don't care if it's actually a Transformer who can freeze time, I am not going to buy it with a controller like that.

And I'm a Nintendo fanboy.

Edited by ZeMapper

What a predictable response.

Hell, I don't really care. You can't really judge a controller until you use it really. My first impressions were "What the fuck" after reading the article I ended up thinking "It could work".

I like the fact that Nintendo are the only company that really seem to give a shit about innovation in the next generation and attracting the non gamer crowd. They have attracted this crowd fairly successfully in Japan with the DS, this seems like the next step in that direction.

Guest Grapehead

It's funny to see how many people write things off before using it themselves. Oh well, I'll just wait to play the Xbox 360 before I judge it, same with the PS3, hell that's a pretty good way to live, I think I'll just wait until I use anything before I judge it, neat.

I hate when people throw out this bullshit. When it's something that looks stupid and ridiculous, "wait and see, geez! you are so negative!" But when it's something that looks good, "OMFG THAT IS TEH AWEZOME~!1 I'M GETTIN DIS IMEEDEUTLEY!" Imagine if I sat here after seeing the awesome videos for the new Zelda game and said "eh, I'll wait and see." No, things that look good, look good and things that look stupid, look stupid. And we're talking business, what people are likely to buy; people are going to look at this as nothing but a gimmick and write it off regardless of how many people say "wait and see." If the consumer writes you off, you're fucked.

Eurogamer: How is the controller going to work with games that aren't designed specifically for the Revolution - multi-platform titles and so on?

0Jim Merrick: We're producing a classic-style expansion controller, based on traditional designs like the Gamecube controller. It's like a shell with a hole in the top into which you slot the freehand-style controller, and then you can play third-party ported games, and retro Nintendo games you've downloaded.

So there's that option - but even while it's inserted into the classic-style shell, the freehand controller will still be able to sense positioning and so on, so there are more options too.

Sounds slightly inconvenient, and if Nintendo isn't packing that in with the system and sells it as a peripheral, it's just going to further alienate the gamers.