Metallica Announces Producer For Next Album

Evil Chase K

Hmmm. I must be one of the only people in the world that actually liked St. Anger.

I too will defer judgement, but in my opinion if it's like 90% of Rubin produced albums, it'll bomb on Garage Inc levels

Edited by Troy Maskell

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have liked every single metallica album, including the ones post black, and am excited as hell for the new album, if anything im kind of worried that rubin will try and get them to take a risk that wont pay off, and screw things up.

Maybe it was the perspective that came from watching "Some Kind Of Monster", but I grew to appreciate "St. Anger" for what it was: a band making the very best of a bad situation.

All I remember of Some Kind Of Monster is Lars Ulrich being a whiny little brat ("How come no one ever does anything for me?") and how he always sounds like he's got a mouth full of cheesecake.

On a more serious note, though, Rubin revitalised the Chili Peppers (arguably), Johnny Cash, Neil Diamond, and countless others. It'll be interesting to see what he can do when he gets his hands on Metallica, simply because he's almost the antithesis of Bob Rock.

I have liked every single metallica album, including the ones post black, and am excited as hell for the new album, if anything im kind of worried that rubin will try and get them to take a risk that wont pay off, and screw things up.

They took a risk that didn't pay off on St.Anger, they tried to get down with the kids and go more nu-metally (best way to describe it) just to cash in on it, and they got blasted for a piss poor album.

Edited by ACCBiggz

Metallica's known for taking chances. But on their own terms. I don't think the influence of Rick Rubin will change them in anyway.

I think it's gonna be a very modern sounding album, but yet at the same time harken back to the classic Metallica sound.

That or it'll be like St. Anger with better production.

Or what I fear will happen, Metallica forgets that they're 10 million times better than both bands and tries to make music like Slipknot and SOAD.

Metallica's known for taking chances. But on their own terms. I don't think the influence of Rick Rubin will change them in anyway.

I think it's gonna be a very modern sounding album, but yet at the same time harken back to the classic Metallica sound.

Or what I fear will happen, Metallica forgets that they're 10 million times better than both bands and tries to make music like Slipknot and SOAD.

I don't think Metallica would do Ozzfest. They like to do things on their terms, so I couldn't see them doing Ozzfest. If they're gonna tour, they'd most likely do it on their own terms.

Plus with their Escape From The Studio '06 tour...I think they plan on getting back to the recording process after these lists of shows.

That being said Blabbermouth is usually right about stuff, and Metallica headlining is the ONLY way I'd attend Ozzfest.

I am not a Metallica fan at all. I don't rate them or the music they play. I am a fan of Johnny Cash (the American albums in particular) and I have liked what Rick Rubin has done with Neil Diamond and RHCP (although I wouldn't put myself down as a big fan of either). So I am intrigued to see how this album does. Rubin has a way of getting people to bring out the best in them music-wise. If he can re-light the fire on the career of someone like Johnny Cash or get Neil Diamond to do something new and have it work then maybe it will work for Metallica too.