Gamings Best Storylines

Benji

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I liked Chrono Trigger...might be influenced by the fact time travel makes me happy.

I liked True Crime: New York City too...I've only seen the bad cop ending, and it took me into the direction I expected, but the twist at the end of it (Marcus' godfather actually being alive) was really, really good.

Final Fantasy III. Anyone who disagrees is a fool. The entire second half of the game is basically "Free roam, do whatever, whenever you're ready enter the tower and head for the finish of the game". And the best part is, the "extra" storylines you can get to in the second half are good enough that you won't immediately head for endgame. It's awesome.

Final Fantasy III. Anyone who disagrees is a fool. The entire second half of the game is basically "Free roam, do whatever, whenever you're ready enter the tower and head for the finish of the game". And the best part is, the "extra" storylines you can get to in the second half are good enough that you won't immediately head for endgame. It's awesome.

See this is where I get all confused. A year or so ago I got and played a whole bunch of the old FF's, but due to the III in Japan, VI in America nonsense I ended up having no clue which is which. So. Which one was it you had to fight Kafka (?) and there was a black ninja dude with a dog you could get? I think thats the one you're talking about, which was indeed awesome, and incredibly large. But I prefered the one where you are a knight who ends up becoming a paladin or something, and had a partner called Kain >_> I've a feeling it was II, but fuck knows.

I never had a problem with the storyline at all, or talked to anyone else who didn't like it. For me all of the hate is directed at Raiden...because he's a cunt...and probably gay too dry.gif

People who hate Raiden miss the bigger picture. I'd gladly play as Raiden because of how awesome it makes Snake look. Snake easily gained more overness from not being the main character in 2 then he would have otherwise. But the story was good too. It was just way overthought, in my opinion. The half-hour (Or so it seemed <_< ) conversation over codec before fighting Solidus at the end is ridiculous. Thats the reason why I think it's the weakest, but it's still good.

Edited by Kaneanite

MGS3, MGS, MGS2.

Loadsa people hate on MGS2 for over-complication, swerves aplenty and general weirdness but I enjoyed all that and felt a part of something bigger and constantly changing.

Having said that MGS3 is the best of the three Solids...

I can't remember the name of the game...it wasn't all that good, but I really liked the storyline. Basicly, at the start you're murdered. There was some weird shit, and then you were told you could try and prevent your own death. Basicly you'd have to do things to prevent certain situations. I remember once you were stabbed in the town square, where someone ran out from behind a tree. You went back in time to make sure that the tree was never planted (Don't know why you just couldn't go back 20 minutes to before you died and sawed the fucker down). The game itself was pretty meh. But the storyline had potential to be great. You had to stop yourself from being killed, find out who was trying to kill you, and depending on what actions you took changed what ending you got. Really interesting. Can't for the life of me remember the name of the game. All I know is that is was a fairly early PS2 release.

Just decided to name one that others probably wouldn't.

I loved FF7 but hated the end. Unless I'm just missing something that ending sucks! :(

The ending is indeed a bit terrible. It starts out alright, but it's how it just cuts out without any real closure. Yeah, it's supposed to show that Holy was more concerned about destroying Midgar, the true threat to the planet, rather than Meteor, but you never got to see if Meteor was destroyed, if it hit, or what. Or what happened to everyone. It was a load of wank.

Grand Theft Auto: Vice City

While the GTA3 focused on pretty much a do-boy, it's sequel followed a dark vision of the American Dream in a rags-to-riches story. The way Tommy goes from working for people, to working for himself, and just the set up and connections, is brilliantly played out.

Yeah it's pretty much "Let's allow people to play Scarface" in a game.

The mansion is pretty much the same, the mission with the guy and the chainsaw and the overall feel and era....And it gains a lot from it.

See this is where I get all confused. A year or so ago I got and played a whole bunch of the old FF's, but due to the III in Japan, VI in America nonsense I ended up having no clue which is which. So. Which one was it you had to fight Kafka (?) and there was a black ninja dude with a dog you could get? I think thats the one you're talking about, which was indeed awesome, and incredibly large. But I prefered the one where you are a knight who ends up becoming a paladin or something, and had a partner called Kain >_> I've a feeling it was II, but fuck knows.

Guest clintcasey

I loved FF7 but hated the end. Unless I'm just missing something that ending sucks! :(

Really? The only thing I hated about it was that there was no real battle with Sephiroth. Just keep tapping a button while Cloud moves toward him and fight over. Bah.

Really? The only thing I hated about it was that there was no real battle with Sephiroth. Just keep tapping a button while Cloud moves toward him and fight over. Bah.

I'm not sure what Samoa meant by missing something so I'll try to explain what happens, just so we're clear:

After everyone escapes from the northern crator on the air ship they jet over to watch the everything go down. Meteor was just about to hit Midgar when Holy showed up. Now Holy did start to combat Meteor but at the same time it also started destroying Midgar because its true purpose after all is save the planet and all the mako reactors there had severly wounded the planet.

Just when all seemed loss Arieth, controlling the life steam gets rid of Holy, and Meteor and saves whats left of Midgar.

Then we flash forward 500 years to Nanaki and his two cubs comming up on the ruins of Midgar.

But yeah if you realy want to talk about the best storyline in a video game it goes to Final Fantasy VII hands down. The story was so complex that they've made 2 video games and a movie to tie up all the loose ends.

Actually it's four games total (including original), an anime film and two books... so far.

I'll always have a soft spot for Myth: The Fallen Lords, it had such a great, dark storyline (however closely it resembled The Black Company). I also liked System Shock. Not so much the overall storyline, but the atmosphere listening to the recorded messages gave out. I remember being near heart-broken that after receiving communications from this one girl for ages, you arrive minutes too late to save her.

Silent Hill 2 is pretty awesome too.