Leeds/Reading Festival

fourstarfizzle

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why the Arctic Monkey's hate? If you don't like them you must either be black or homosexual.

Theres nothing special about them to be honest. It's more just a media force feeding routine from NME and various music media places that have given them all this hype.

No. NME and their ilk were relatively late jumping on the Arctic Monkeys bandwagon, they've had a huge internet buzz building around them for well over a year, and it's deserved. While they're nothing spectacular, and "I Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor" is a wank song, some of their stuff is wonderful ("Scummy" and "Fake Tales Of San Francisco" in particular). They're a damn sight better than half the other bands playing.

All in all, though, this doesn't even begin to match last year's, but then last year had The Stooges and The Pixies, so that's not exactly surprising. I'm usually more excited about the bands on the smaller stages, though.

Why the Arctic Monkey's hate? If you don't like them you must either be black or homosexual.

Theres nothing special about them to be honest. It's more just a media force feeding routine from NME and various music media places that have given them all this hype.

Arctic Monkeys got as much "anti-bandwagon bandwagon" hate as they got "bandwagon" love, if that makes any sense. Skumfrog said all there was to say, though, really.

Whether random Download bashing makes sense or not, it also doesn't make sense for people who obviously hate Indie to come in and complain about the line-up on a primarily Indie festival.....it'd be like me going into something about a rap festival and whinging about it....they do have rap festivals, right? :shifty:

As a primarily metal fan, it worries me that there are more bands at Reading that I'd like to see.... although the line-up is still pretty meh for both.

Tool and Pearl Jam respectively make it tempting though.

EDIT: Oh, and the Concrete Jungle, aside from one or two bands, is generally shank. It's gone from metal/metalcore bands to mostly pop-punk/emo/screamo (which, whilst ok, just doesn't produce as good a line-up as the CJ used to), with the odd decent band thrown in (Dillinger Escape Plan last year)

Edited by HGwannabe

People gave their opinion on a line up, that's not bashing indie. It became worse when a random Download shot was included. There was no need, really.

And Liam, you're hardly a metal fan, if you'd rather be at Indiefest than Download. ;)

Yeah, but you don't like Indie, and you comment on an Indie festival? Doesn't make much sense to me. That's my point. I don't think the Download shot made sense either.

And I'd rather be at Wacken then both, so that's my "metal" credentials if I need them checked.

Edited by HGwannabe

Well, they haven't listed a lot so far, so I dunno, worth a wait. The second stages can be good for smaller bands (I saw The Bronx, The Icarus Line and some others last time I went), and then there is the Concrete Jungle for those who want something a little heavier.

Plus the Dance/Comedy tents on top of that.

Reading is one of the better festivals when it comes to alternatives to the Main Stage attractions, so who knows?