Leeds/Reading Festival

fourstarfizzle

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually for those interested in Truck festival the line-up is, plus more to come:

65daysofstatic

Alva

Anat Ben David

Buck 65

Chicks On Speed

Chris McMath

Chris T-T

Colony

Emmy The Great

Fell City Girl

Foals

Forward Russia

Gaptooth

Get Cape, Wear Cape, Fly

Goldrush

Harlette

Hundred Reasons

Jakoyak

Jetplane Landing

Katchafire

KTB

Manic Cough

Morrison Steam Fayre

My Mayo Mai

Mystery Jets

nervous test_pilot

Persil

Piney Gir’s Country Roadshow

Rachael Dadd

Rebecca Mosley

Regina Spektor

Seth Lakeman

Shimura Curves

Skindred

Sow

Suitable Case For Treatment

The Black Madonnas

The Dusty Sound System

The Epstein

The Lodge

The Madeleines

The Neutrinos

The Organ

The Research

The September Girls

The Schla La Las

The Sound Movement

The Tyde

The Walkoff

The Young Knives

Thomas Truax

Tim Victor

Toob

Tough Love

Total Science

Trademark

Xmas Lights

Youthmovies

Shame its sold out :thumbsdown:

Leeds/reading>download>truck

loads of bands i want to see at leeds that i haven't seen yet, seen loads of bands at download who are playing this year, and i have seen all but about 10 of the truck bands, hahaha

Reading usually > Download, by far. This year, however, Reading's a bit dull, whereas Download has about the best conceivable metal festival line-up I've seen in many, many years.

Download has about the best conceivable metal festival line-up I've seen in many, many years.

I dunno about that, as to me it generally looks a little...meh. Some great acts, but a lot that just seem uninspiring to me.

Download has about the best conceivable metal festival line-up I've seen in many, many years.

I dunno about that, as to me it generally looks a little...meh. Some great acts, but a lot that just seem uninspiring to me.

Basically, I have very little interest in metal, but the majority of the metal bands I am interested in are playing Download. There's a lot of wank, sure, but look who's there to balance it out.

Tool, Strapping Young Lad, Alice In Chains, Opeth, Secret Machines, Sikth, Soilwork, Zebrahead, Ginger & The Sonic Circus, Killing Joke, Reuben, Cathedral, BMTH and Winterville....plus Guns & Roses and Within Temptation, who I'd probably go and see despite both being a shell of their former selves. But I'd practically pay the price of admission just to see one or two of those bands, whereas Leeds/Reading doesn't really have that many I'd really like to see, compared to last year which had some of the best headline acts I've seen in years, and great acts on the smaller stages too.

But it generally is an indiefest, usually anyway.

Maybe the odd-year isn't completely indie, but it's still got an indie-base.

The odd year probably has even more other stuff, but the base is as much rock as it is Indie. It has also had pretty much always had primarily metal on at least one day(though that gets watered down a little now), the Concrete Jungle with the alt bands, 3 days of dance acts in the dance tent....Indie plays a much smaller part than it gets given (even though it has quite a few indie bands, naturally).

And yeah, Skummy, I'd see why people would be up for Download, but I know countless metal fans who feel a little let down as well. Depends on who you talk to I guess, though as I mentioned there definitely are some excellent acts playing.

Edited by rvdwannabe

I can see why a "pure" metal fan would be disappointed, to be honest, as many of the bands I listed (Skindred, Secret Machines, Killing Joke, Ginger and Reuben, to name but a few) aren't the "heavy-as-fuck" style that most of the Download crowd seem to be aiming for. But, for me, short of getting Carnival In Coal, Mike Patton and Motörhead on the current Download bill, it's about as good as a metal festival can get right now, whereas Reading pales in comparison to last year, and there's not really anything of a "must see" aspect like there was with the Stooges and the Pixies last year.