Doctor Who

Posting in the right place this time :shifty:

Fans have named David Tennant the best ever Doctor Who in a poll, beating Tom Baker into second place.

The Scottish actor, who made his debut last Christmas, received 28% of votes cast in a survey of 4,000 readers of Doctor Who Magazine.

"This is a real honour, and I am totally gobsmacked," he said.

Baker, who played the character from 1974 to 1981, has topped every previous poll conducted by the magazine, except in 1990 - when Sylvester McCoy won.

"This is an incredible result for David, and shows how quickly viewers have taken to him," said editor Clayton Hickman.

"The iconic image of Doctor Who has always been of Tom Baker in his floppy hat and long, multi-coloured scarf, but it looks like that's been replaced."

Fans voted Tennant's predecessor Christopher Eccleston into third place, while Paul McGann received the fewest votes of the 10 actors to play the Doctor on TV.

Favourite assistant named

Readers also voted Billie Piper as their favourite Doctor Who assistant, in the role of Rose Tyler.

In second place was 1970s companion Sarah Jane Smith, played by Elisabeth Sladen.

Sladen is due to return to the screen in the spin-off series, The Sarah Jane Adventures, over Christmas.

A new episode of Doctor Who will be shown on BBC One this Christmas, with a guest appearance from comedy performer Catherine Tate.

Actress Freema Agyeman, 27, will be introduced as the Doctor's new companion Martha Jones in 2007, following Billie Piper's departure this year.

TOP FIVE DOCTORS

1. David Tennant - 28.2%

2. Tom Baker - 26.5%

3. Christopher Eccleston - 11.4%

4. Jon Pertwee - 9.6%

5. Patrick Troughton - 8.8%

Source: Doctor Who Magazine

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with the top 4, at least, just maybe not in that order. I have a soft spot for Pertwee, Eccie and Tennant were/have been brilliant so far, and I don't think I need to explain Tom Baker.

Posting in the right place this time :shifty:

Fans have named David Tennant the best ever Doctor Who in a poll, beating Tom Baker into second place.

The Scottish actor, who made his debut last Christmas, received 28% of votes cast in a survey of 4,000 readers of Doctor Who Magazine.

Baker, who played the character from 1974 to 1981, has topped every previous poll conducted by the magazine, except in 1990 - when Sylvester McCoy won.

"This is an incredible result for David, and shows how quickly viewers have taken to him," said editor Clayton Hickman.

"The iconic image of Doctor Who has always been of Tom Baker in his floppy hat and long, multi-coloured scarf, but it looks like that's been replaced."

Fans voted Tennant's predecessor Christopher Eccleston into third place, while Paul McGann received the fewest votes of the 10 actors to play the Doctor on TV.

Favourite assistant named

Readers also voted Billie Piper as their favourite Doctor Who assistant, in the role of Rose Tyler.

In second place was 1970s companion Sarah Jane Smith, played by Elisabeth Sladen.

Sladen is due to return to the screen in the spin-off series, The Sarah Jane Adventures, over Christmas.

A new episode of Doctor Who will be shown on BBC One this Christmas, with a guest appearance from comedy performer Catherine Tate.

Actress Freema Agyeman, 27, will be introduced as the Doctor's new companion Martha Jones in 2007, following Billie Piper's departure this year.

TOP FIVE DOCTORS

1. David Tennant - 28.2%

2. Tom Baker - 26.5%

3. Christopher Eccleston - 11.4%

4. Jon Pertwee - 9.6%

5. Patrick Troughton - 8.8%

Source: Doctor Who Magazine

CREDIT: BBC News.

I know there was a Doctor Who thread for the old series, but that was months ago, thought it best to make a new thread rather than update.

Whilst I love Tennant as Doctor Who, I don't think he's the best ever. It seems a case of voting for the one most in people's memory to me. He is a great Doctor though, and I can hardly wait for the Christmas special and the new series.

Like the rest of the top 5 anyway, with traditional winner Baker, Eccie and Pertwee.

I'd agree that they are the five best, but not necassarily in that order. I'd probably still have Baker top, with Tenny, Eccy and Pertwee battling for 2nd, with Troughton 5th.

I couldn't stand Ecclestone, or the series he was in, at all. David Tennant is more of a throwback to the quirky Doctors of old, whilst Eccy was trying to modernise the character into something more dark and gritty...he'd have been great if it were a whole new franchise, but it just didn't work given the inherent history of Doctor Who.

Tom Baker's the best. The look, the voice, everything. That IS Doctor Who. Tennant is, I think, the nearest thing to that we're likely to get now, though, the only other person I can picture playing the Doctor is Eddie Izzard, and he reportedly turned it down.

And I actually liked Paul McGann as the 8th Doctor, although the reasoning for his low placing are probably that he only did the TV movie, so he's not really a memorable figure.

I agree skum, Paul McCann fit in well and I'm sure its probably why he was the face of the doctor for the online series, simply because he had the look of a darker side of the doctor, which if it would have been televised would have led on to Chris Eccleston pretty well, unfortunately no one really watched it as far as a mainstream audience goes, so it's irrelevant.

Hamster is, as always, correct. Sylvester McCoy's Doctor was supremely underrated and is one of the best of the 10. If you go back and watch seasons 28-29, the direction they were taking the series in during the late 1980s was very similar to how the Russel T. Davies era has been thus far - a more ambiguous, slightly darker Doctor, and a companion (Ace) who wasn't just a one-dimensional character there to scream and be rescued. McCoy also happened to be a great actor, who could play both lighter moments ("I'm fit as a trombone!") and the much darker stuff they were doing as a part of the Cartmel Masterplan later on.

Tennant is a great, great actor and he's had 13 good episodes as the Doctor, but until he's done a bit more I dunno if I'm comfortable rating him against people like Baker, Troughton, etc. I'd say he has the potential to be one of the best ever Doctors, but right now... difficult to say, no?

Surprised so few people have mentioned Troughton as a candidate for the best Doctor, as he was, let's face it, a fucking brilliant actor who totally re-invigorated the character from the ground up. Let's not forget that in 1966, they were doing something with regeneration that hadn't been done before, and if they'd given the part to a less talented actor than Patrick Troughton, the series would've ended in a year or two. The fact that he also had some amazing episodes and great companions didn't hurt either.

• 3 weeks later...

David Tennant Leaving WHO??

Robert Carlyle Might Be 11??

I am – Hercules!!

You really can’t believe what you read in British newspapers, but it’s a slow week.

The Sun is reporting that David Tennant will step down as the 10th Doctor Who in season four (or season 30, depending where one wants to begin counting) to continue pursuing his movie career. Season three/29 is shooting now; we Americans saw the season two/28 finale last week.

The same story reports that two actors are in the running to play the 11th Who: Robert Carlyle (“Trainspotting”) and David Morrisey (“Basic Instinct 2”).

Read more of this here.

Courtesy aicn and The Sun.

Wow Robert Carlyle would suck copious amounts of cock as Who. Not so sure on the other guy.

And you try searching for Dr. Who via the search engine and see why I created a new topic.

Edited by 28 TGCs Later

plot spoilers ahoy!

Doctor battles Daleks in New York

The Daleks are poised to do battle in New York in a forthcoming episode from the latest series of Doctor Who.

The two-parter will see the show's star David Tennant and new assistant Martha Jones, played by Freema Agyeman, face their famous foes in 1930s Manhattan.

"This time, their plan is the most audacious Dalek scheme yet! Even the Doctor finds himself out of his depth," said lead writer Russell T Davies.

Tennant and Agyeman will be joined on the show by Spooks star Miranda Raison.

Raison, who plays journalist-turned-spy Jo Portman in Spooks, will feature alongside Holby City's Hugh Quarshie and Ryan Carnes, of Desperate Housewives' fame.

Other stars set to feature in the new series - the third since the BBC drama was revived in 2005 - include The League of Gentleman's Mark Gatiss and actress Anne Reid.

The new series, which follows a Christmas special featuring comedian Catherine Tate, begins in Spring 2007.

Agyeman, 27, will replace Billie Piper as the Doctor's new companion, while Tennant returns for his second complete series.

Fans recently named Tennant the best Doctor Who in a poll, beating Tom Baker into second place.

The Scottish actor, 35, received 28% of votes cast in a survey of 4,000 readers of Doctor Who Magazine.

source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6211731.stm

And just so this isn't pointless, what did every think of the xmas special? I thought it was ok, but I found Catherine Tate quite annoying. Also, the villain wasn't a patch on the Sycorax.

David Tennant Leaving WHO??

Robert Carlyle Might Be 11??

I am – Hercules!!

You really can’t believe what you read in British newspapers, but it’s a slow week.

The Sun is reporting that David Tennant will step down as the 10th Doctor Who in season four (or season 30, depending where one wants to begin counting) to continue pursuing his movie career. Season three/29 is shooting now; we Americans saw the season two/28 finale last week.

The same story reports that two actors are in the running to play the 11th Who: Robert Carlyle (“Trainspotting”) and David Morrisey (“Basic Instinct 2”).

Read more of this here.

Courtesy aicn and The Sun.

Wow Robert Carlyle would suck copious amounts of cock as Who. Not so sure on the other guy.

And you try searching for Dr. Who via the search engine and see why I created a new topic.

It'd suck if Tennant left, he's been great so far, and I've REALLY gotten into him as the doctor.

As for the Christmas special, I actually thought Catherine Tate was good, and the first half an hour was very good stuff. Then we met the villain. Next few minutes were ok. Then the doctor met the villain. Oh deary me..... THEN it became totally shit, and the last twenty minutes were utterly dire. The final long, long, LONG scene with The Doctor and Donna was so over the top in hammering in its point. I was just thinking "OK RUSSELL, WE GET THE SODDING POINT", but still they went on....

Am I the only one that doesn't want to see the Daleks back AGAIN? I just don't like having them in EVERY season so far, you risk losing a little bit of the OMG reaction when they do appear, and you almost expect 'the dalek episodes'. It would pay to keep them special.

But yeah, the Sycroax have to come back. And the Ood.

The Runaway Bride was sub-par compared to season 2, I'd give it *** tops, due to the crappy villain and hammy acting in the last scene or so as timmay pointed out, Russell clearly had a few too many when finishing it off, but I'll forgive it purely, and ONLY for the fact that they said Gallifrey on-screen. I've been waiting for 2 years, it was a TOTAL mark-out moment for me.

I'll add more thoughts when I'm not so unbelievably tired.

The Runaway Bride was far better than I had expected, to be honest. Tate wasn't as terrible as I was expecting either. However, I did let out an audible 'NO!' when they teased her becoming the new assistant. Followed by a 'YES!' when she declined. And then another 'NO!' when they teased it again. And then a 'YES!' when I saw the new one, who looks kinda hot. >_>

I will be quite sad, and a little angry, if Tennant leaves already. He's quality as the Doctor, IMO, and would be very hard to follow. It'll be even worse if Carlyle followed him, as he's not the right sort of actor, IMO. Not very good at the light-hearted stuff, again, IMO.

It'd suck if Tennant left, he's been great so far, and I've REALLY gotten into him as the doctor.

As for the Christmas special, I actually thought Catherine Tate was good, and the first half an hour was very good stuff. Then we met the villain. Next few minutes were ok. Then the doctor met the villain. Oh deary me..... THEN it became totally shit, and the last twenty minutes were utterly dire. The final long, long, LONG scene with The Doctor and Donna was so over the top in hammering in its point. I was just thinking "OK RUSSELL, WE GET THE SODDING POINT", but still they went on....

Am I the only one that doesn't want to see the Daleks back AGAIN? I just don't like having them in EVERY season so far, you risk losing a little bit of the OMG reaction when they do appear, and you almost expect 'the dalek episodes'. It would pay to keep them special.

*cough* Spoiler Tags *cough* <_<

I'd mark out for a Sycorax/Ood alliance.

If you're fucking fed up with the Daleks, blame Terry Nation's estate. The BBC had to pay a frickin' fortune for the rights to use them and I doubt they'd be willing to pay that much again, so the way I see it enjoy them being used as much as they are because once the deal's over you'll probably never see them again.

I'd rather see the Daleks than the Cybermen any day, personally.

*cough* Spoiler Tags *cough* <_<

I'd mark out for a Sycorax/Ood alliance.