The Game Concepts You Can't Stand

Benji

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest muddatrucker

I completed 2 of the hitman games without using a pinch of stealth, I just ran in and bazookered the shit into people, they want it to be a stealth game but its just as easy not to use stealth and still kick arse.

Why was Ultimiceia even doing what she was doing? I totally forget, was it ever explained?

I thought it was pretty self explanitory...she wanted to compress the past, present, and future to rule them as one existance. It was pretty stupid, as it was explained that only she was the only one who could physically exist in that kind of place. She should have taken notes from Kefka...ruling the world isn't fun unless you've got people to torture and opress for your enjoyment <_<

Zero had the right idea, VI was the best in the series followed by VII and then IX (which I personally loved to bits)

I completed 2 of the hitman games without using a pinch of stealth, I just ran in and bazookered the shit into people, they want it to be a stealth game but its just as easy not to use stealth and still kick arse.

Well if you think about it, someone armed like a small army could easily take out most of the situations like that, the point with them is playing with stealth gives some people a more satisfied feeling, and gets you extra weapons and stuff.

Yeah, it's a cliché, but I think FF7 has the best story, by far. It's just so fucking deep, you can play it through a hundred times and not get it all. The whole Cloud/Sephiroth/JENOVA relationship by itself is just brilliant, in my eyes. Of all the FF games, it's got the best combination of playability and storyline.

I can't understand people saying FF8 has the best story. The story is terrible. It seems like it's been made up as it went along. The earliest part is generic fantasy meets teen angst, as I said earlier, the "GF = memory loss" explanation just seems like a cheap cop-out to fill in some plot holes, the whole Sorceress thing is just ridiculous. It would have been alright with just Edea, but when she suddenly becomes a good guy, and practically a footnote in the rest of the game, and Ultimecia becomes your enemy for reasons that are never fully explained, it just gets horrible. Couple that with a dull and tedious battle and magic system, an unlikable main character, and a "plot" that travels at a snail's pace half the time and darts between points that are completely irrelevant and just seem made up on the spot the rest of the time, and (short of some nice FMVs), FF8 had nothing to offer me as a Final Fantasy game.

I haven't played Tactics, I don't think it was ever released over here. That and I count it as a spin-off, rather than part of the main "numbered" series, the best of which I think are 7, 6 and 9 in that order. Nine was the most inherently playable, but the storyline was lacking, while 6 had a good middle ground, and 7 had the best story of the lot.

Another thing I hate about FF8, though, is how all the secrets are pretty much impossible to work out without a strategy guide. You need to talk to specific rocks and lakes on the world map in a specific order, when there's no hints or anything to suggest that...fuck that. There's no possible way anyone could feasibly work that out by themselves, it's ridiculous.

Yeah, it's a cliché, but I think FF7 has the best story, by far. It's just so fucking deep, you can play it through a hundred times and not get it all. The whole Cloud/Sephiroth/JENOVA relationship by itself is just brilliant, in my eyes. Of all the FF games, it's got the best combination of playability and storyline.

I can't understand people saying FF8 has the best story. The story is terrible. It seems like it's been made up as it went along. The earliest part is generic fantasy meets teen angst, as I said earlier, the "GF = memory loss" explanation just seems like a cheap cop-out to fill in some plot holes, the whole Sorceress thing is just ridiculous. It would have been alright with just Edea, but when she suddenly becomes a good guy, and practically a footnote in the rest of the game, and Ultimecia becomes your enemy for reasons that are never fully explained, it just gets horrible. Couple that with a dull and tedious battle and magic system, an unlikable main character, and a "plot" that travels at a snail's pace half the time and darts between points that are completely irrelevant and just seem made up on the spot the rest of the time, and (short of some nice FMVs), FF8 had nothing to offer me as a Final Fantasy game.

I disagree, in my opinion FF7 is the 2nd best game of all FF games. The best one is the most underrated one: Tactics. Best story in a game since Chrono Trigger, best story in a FF game, amazing gameplay, one of the best games ever. its sad that the game is often overlooked.

And looking back at my last post, I messed up, RE isnt FPS, its a 3rd person view game.

Another thing I hate about FF8, though, is how all the secrets are pretty much impossible to work out without a strategy guide. You need to talk to specific rocks and lakes on the world map in a specific order, when there's no hints or anything to suggest that...fuck that. There's no possible way anyone could feasibly work that out by themselves, it's ridiculous.

Um... secrets? You mean the ultimate weapons? The magazines told you everything that you needed in order to make them, alright so I didn't get them all but I managed Squall's without a strategy guide.

Also, FF8's card game>all FF mini games. Including Blitzball.

Um... secrets? You mean the ultimate weapons? The magazines told you everything that you needed in order to make them, alright so I didn't get them all but I managed Squall's without a strategy guide.

Also, FF8's card game>all FF mini games. Including Blitzball.

No, not that. There's a load of shite, I can't remember what it lets you do at the end of it all, but you have to talk to a certain lake on the World Map, and talk to a certain forest and throw rocks at a monkey, then talk to stones in some desert, and a load of meaningless shite like that. Especially seeing as none of the other games even had interactivity with anything on the World Map, there's no way you can figure it out. I can't remember what you got at the end of it, but it was bollocks.

And I never got into the FFX storyline, personally. The game never felt like a Final Fantasy game, and I never really got into it, which didn't help, but the storyline just didn't seem interesting to me. I figured out the Auron plot twist ridiculously early on, and it just seemed to suffer pretty much the same problems as Final Fantasy 8 for me: New additions to the menu/battle system that I didn't like, an unlikable main character, a storyline I found unappealing. It just didn't hold my interest at all.

I will admit, the FF8 card game was far better than the FF9 card game, though, but FF9 made up for it with so much else you could do outside of the main story.

I disagree, in my opinion FF7 is the 2nd best game of all FF games. The best one is the most underrated one: Tactics. Best story in a game since Chrono Trigger, best story in a FF game, amazing gameplay, one of the best games ever. its sad that the game is often overlooked.

VII is overrated. I beat it by accident. I just ran into Sephiroth, whipped the shit out of him, and thought that I would have to fight him again, only for it to go 'nope, thats it, it's over.' Bullshit.

VIII is really good, but leveling up is too easy. Every level is 1000 exp? I was level 90 before I finished the second disk.

IX is cool, I like the style, I like all of it, but the card game keeps it from being my favorite.

X is far and away my favorite. It has my favorite characters (Wakka and Rikku), and the best mini-game. The fact that it is continued in X2 is great.

As for genres I can't stand, shit like Resident Evil. It probably has more to do with the controls, but I can't stand that survival shit.

I have to totally agree that TACTICS IS THE BEST GAME, yes I believe that it got it's basis from War of the Rosess, but to pull off the storyline in the context of a video game was just brilliant... after that I have to say X, and blitzball is the best minigame!!

Oh, if you look at the boards online that are run by hardcore gamer geeks, of which I am one, Tactics always ranks in the top ten so - it isn't overlooked by everyone!!

Most of those sites also rank Chrono Trigger, Vagrant Story, and Xenogears (though this one has huge divisions among gaming groups) high too. So they totally get my seal of approval.

VIII is really good, but leveling up is too easy. Every level is 1000 exp? I was level 90 before I finished the second disk.

Well, the game wasn't supposed to be focused on levels. The monsters level up with you, which makes it wiser NOT to level up and to instead stock up on spells and attach (I forget the word) them to your stats to make your party super powerful. That said, if you are good at junctioning no matter what level you are the game will be easy.

Also, I'm clueless what quests you (not DMN, Skumfrog) are talking about that you can't beat without an FAQ. Just about everything was answered in the magazines.

Guest clintcasey

Having never played Final Fantasy Tactics I can't realy comment on its storyline. However I can say this. The guys as Square Enix liked it enough that the baised Final Fantasy XII in the same world as FF: Tactics. If I'm not mistaken the game takes place about 10 years after the events of Tactics although it does involve different characters.

VII is overrated. I beat it by accident. I just ran into Sephiroth, whipped the shit out of him, and thought that I would have to fight him again, only for it to go 'nope, thats it, it's over.' Bullshit.

X is far and away my favorite. It has my favorite characters (Wakka and Rikku), and the best mini-game. The fact that it is continued in X2 is great.

I find this kinda funny, since it seemed practically impossible to lose against the boss in FFX.