Transfer Talk

Steeb

• Replies 672
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fernando Torres says he's not going anywhere, at least not until next year.

SAF needs to fucking sign someone.

He can have me on five grand a week if he wants. I will play instead of Keane and I would even commit to the club for 5 years.

Duff at 5mill is dirt cheap, i'd really like to see Klose but he wants CL football, another centre back would be nice as well i don't really rate Craig Moore

...or Titus Bramble, Boumsong, and Taylor always seems to be injured.

Duff is a good player, but what about N'Zogbia? Or Luque? Newcastle never learn, they just throw good money after bad.

Pennant completes Liverpool move

Pennant will wear the number 16 shirt at Anfield

Liverpool have signed Jermaine Pennant from Birmingham in a £6.7m deal.

The price for the 23-year-old winger, who has joined on a four-year contract, could rise to £8m with add-ons.

The Blues initially turned down a £3.5m offer and negotiated a higher fee as they have to give Pennant's old club Arsenal 25% of the cash received.

Pennant, who joined City last summer after a successful four-month loan spell, is expected to immediately join his new team-mates in Switzerland.

And he could make his debut for the club he supported as a child on Saturday against Kaiserslautern in Liechtenstein.

"If I'm needed, I'm fit to play," Pennant said.

"I've dreamt about this since I was a little boy so to actually be here and to be able to wear a Liverpool shirt and play at Anfield is a dream come true. I'm over the moon.

"My best will come at this club because I am playing alongside top quality players who will only help me develop my game.

"This is the best club in the country and the best club to be at so if I can't do it here then I won't be able to do it anywhere.

"I've still got a long career ahead of me because I'm still young, but hopefully I'll enjoy all my good times here.

"I've come here to be successful and it'd be a great feeling if I can win trophies as a Liverpool player."

Pennant added: "I had a great time in my 18 months at Birmingham City, and everybody, including the fans were absolutely fantastic to me.

"Hopefully I will have the opportunity to play against them in the Premiership sooner rather than later, because that is where they deserve to be.

"When I had my problems, Steve Bruce and the club showed faith in me.

606 VIEW

It does seem an excessive amount for a largely unproven player

GC

606: Have your say

"I'll always be grateful to Steve and the rest of the coaching staff because they have provided me with the opportunity to take on a new challenge in my career."

Pennant's arrival solves Rafael Benitez's search for a right-sided midfielder, with his first choice, Sevilla's Daniel Alves, proving too pricey at £12m.

The England Under-21 international, who joined Birmingham for £3m, joins Wales striker Craig Bellamy at Anfield as Benitez looks to invest in young British talent.

But in Pennant, the Liverpool coach has purchased one of football's most notorious players.

In 2005 the midfielder become the first footballer to play in the Premiership while wearing an electronic tag. He had served 21 days in jail after being found guilty of drink driving while banned and having no insurance.

Originally Pennant had been banned from driving for 16 months in 2004 after being seen travelling in the wrong lane in Paddington, west London.

Also in 2005 it was reported that Birmingham sent the player home from training after he turned up under the influence of alcohol.

And in a separate incident that year, Pennant was alleged to have become involved in an argument with a man outside a restaurant on the Greek island of Zante, which led to the man punching him.

In 2003, Pennant was sent home from an England Under-21 training camp for breaking a curfew.

bbc.co.uk

EXCLUSIVE: United get Carrick

Thursday, 27 July 19:37 BST

Manchester United have signed Michael Carrick from Tottenham Hotspur for Stg17 million. The EXCLUSIVE news was revealed on Setanta Sports programme The Hub on Thursday evening.

Carrick is set to finalise personal terms before being unveiled to the media at Old Trafford within the next 48 hours - the press conference is likely to take place before the weekend, however.

Setanta Sports understands that Carrick will move in a straight-cash deal, with no players moving in the opposite direction. The midfielder's desire to move to United is said to have forced Martin Jol into letting one of his prize assets leave North London.

Carrick is set to pen a five-year deal at Old Trafford once his medical is completed and terms are agreed, with no hitches expected at this stage.

United agreed a fee of Stg17m with Tottenham on Thursday after tracking the midfielder for the last couple of seasons. Old Trafford boss Alex Ferguson sees Carrick, who was a member of England's World cup squad, as a replacement for Roy Keane.

The news will be a major boost for United's fans with Ruud van Nistelrooy all but completing his move to Real Madrid this week.

For examples of ridiculous English signings.

Pennant isn't worth anything near £7, Carrick isn't worth anything near £18m.

How come you don't get Brazil, Germany, Holland or France's bench warmers costing £18m?

Apparently Blackburn have signed Benni McCarthy, better than signing Mido if you ask me.

McCarthy can never stick a club. After every season there is always speculation of him leaving due to some incident or another.

£18m for Carrick? Sorry, but that isn't worth it at all. United need a midfielder with experience. Sure, he's young, but he isn't experienced at all.

I'm not 100% sure of the price, but Fulham have signed Franck Quedrue, which is a great signing as far as I'm concerned.

I'm happy that not only are we signing good players, we are signing players that I like (Niemi, Bullard and now Quedrue)

Carrick's fee isn't £18m according to BBC Sport, it's closer to £15m. I'll be sad to see Carrick go with how well he's done for us in the past couple of seasons. It is one hell of a good profit from when we bought him, though.

Apparently Chelsea and Arsenal are holding talks over Ashley Cole.

David Thompson has gone to Pompey.

Bloody bloody Manchester United.

At least Liverpool got massively ripped off for Pennant.

But Chelsea shouldn't go for Cole yet - they should lurk - as the end of his contract is coming up they could get him a LOT cheaper and if anyone else comes in for him in the meantime Chelsea can jsut offer a little more...

Giving loadsa cash to one of your nearest rivals is foolishness.