Overrated Albums?

What albums by your favourite bands or bands you like do you think are overrated?

Personally, my biggest pick is Sepultura's "Roots" album. It has 3 good songs on it - Dictatorshit, Lookaway & Rattamahatta. That's it. The rest of the album is so forgettable and just.. not good, but tons of people I know LOVE that album to pieces. I'd much rather take Arise or Chaos AD over Roots.

So, what about you guys?

London Calling. Sorry Clash fan's but I'll never understand why some people herald this album as the greatest of the 1980s (if not the greatest). I wouldn't even say it was the Clash's best album personally. It lacks the energy to really grab me and pull me into the music. It's not the sort of album that makes me want to move, it's nice to chill out to, but really nothing more. I don't want to sound negative, it is a good album, but I'll never be convinced that it is an amazing work of art. I see the album as having a few good songs, and a lot of tracks that I'd rather just skip over.

"Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band."

It's not that it's a bad album, not at all. It even has the Beatles' best song ever ("A Day in the Life."). But as a cohesive album it's not as strong as "Revolver," "Rubber Soul," and especially "Abbey Road" as far as their We're All Hippies period goes, and "A Hard Day's Night" blows it away too in terms of overall quality.

Bright Eyes - I'm Wide Awake It's Morning.

I've always preferred the more electronic, emoey side to Bright Eyes to the folky side, and IWAIM is complete folk from top to bottom. It's got some fantastic songs on it (Road to Joy and Old Soul Song (for the New World Order)) are two of my favourite Bright Eyes songs, but as a full album it comes up short for me. Plus, the fact it came out the same day as Digital Ash in a Digital Urn (my second favourite Bright Eyes album), makes it look weak in comparison.

Pixies - Doolittle.

I love every single song on Doolittle, there's not a bad thing about it, my only problem with it is people make it out to be the greatest Pixies album of all time, when my favourite; Surfer Rosa trumps it with every song. I just generally don't like it when a mass audience find a band/album/song amazing beyond all belief, because it forces me to find flaws in it, and that's exactly what happened with me and Doolittle.

Alot of Offspring fans I know think Ixnay On The Hombre is a really great album. I personally think its one of their worst albums.

And Sublimes s/t album. Don't get me wrong, I do think its a good album. But compared to 40 Oz Of Freedom and Robbin' The Hood, both of which had FANTASTIC tracks all around, I just don't think it can compare to those

GIMMICK STOL'D.

I don't really see too many albums as being over-rated, or at least haven't thought long enough about it to think of any good ones. I know a few things that are comparitvely over-rated to other albums in bands back catalogues....

I'll have a think and add something later.

"The Wall" by Pink Floyd. It's repeatedly hailed as one of the best ever, when it's not even Floyd's best, not by a long shot. Comfortably Numb and Run Like Hell are the only good songs on there, and even they're not great. Hell, Kittie's version of Run Like Hell is miles better, and Kittie aren't very good.

The same, to a lesser extent, can be said for "Nevermind" by Nirvana, which I'm amazed hasn't been said yet. It's a good album, but far from a classic, and not Nirvana's best.

I'm sure there are more I'll end up coming back too, but those two, especially The Wall, are what comes to mind when I think "over-rated".

everything about nirvana is overrated

(Y)

Nirvana's at this point where they're so vastly considered to be overrated that they're almost underrated if not for the fact that they're inexplicably in the top ten of any mainstream music-related list no matter what.

Edited by GoGo Yubari

Hmm. First I'll go for individual albums of bands I do actually like...

- Radiohead, OK Computer. Frankly it's just not as good as Amnesiac or The Bends. It's a good album, but the experimental vibe drags after the first half for me, and overall I don't think it really goes where it feels like it wants to.

- The Smiths, Strangeways Here We Come. Considering it came after Meat is Murder and, more importantly, the Queen is Dead, and right before Morrissey's superb early solo recordings, it just doesn't seem good enough to me. Clearly he still had good material in him, as evidenced by the solo stuff, SHWC seems a bit of a blip to me.

- Pixies, Doolittle. It's a great album, but I personally prefer Trompe le Monde. Preferential issue, I guess.

- Pink Floyd, Dark Side of the Moon. Now, I like Pink Floyd. I really do. If you leave this thread thinking "ooh, RK doesn't like Floyd" then you'll be wrong. But frankly DSotM is heinously overrated as an album. In the top 10 albums of all time? Do me a favour!

- Beach Boys, Pet Sounds. The fact that it sounds like Rubber Soul-lite just means I can't quite get into it.

Plenty of others, probably, but those are the ones that really stick out. And, because I'm bored, I'll now randomly list some albums that I think are overrated and have no merit in them whatsoever, bar none. Controversy = fun. Maybe I'll explain later if I get called up on something loads.

- U2, anything post-Achtung Baby

- Metallica, anything post-Ride the Lighting

- Eminem, anything he did

- Blink 182, self-titled

- Green Day, American Idiot

- Sex Pistols, Nevermind the Bollocks

- Libertines, self-titled

- The Others' album I forget the name of

- Coldplay, X&Y

everything about nirvana is overrated

(Y)

Nirvana's at this point where they're so vastly considered to be overrated that they're almost underrated if not for the fact that they're inexplicably in the top ten of any mainstream music-related list no matter what.

Thats the exact point I've stated for quite a while, I completely agree.

People are so quick to be "oh, Nirvana are teh suck~!", it kinda all gets taken out of proportion and Nirvana will actually end up as under-rated to some extent.

I don't think the album is over-rated purely based on the "importance" of it. Whether you liked it or not, it changed quite a few things, whether it was for the good or bad depends on what you are into. However, it isn't as if it is lauded without having any real musical impact.

EDIT: Funnily enough, a lot of the people who don't like Nirvana are the sorts who like guitar solos and general widdly-ness (Evil Chase K and Aaron Maiden in this here topic I know of at least), which was effectively what music like Nirvana's killed off for the best part of the 90's. Personally, I hate that style of music to a degree, as too many bands throw out technical guitar work/solos just for the sake of it, seemingly. As Skumfrog said in another topic, I'd take a Johnny Marr over most of those kinda guitarists based purely substance over style.

Edited by HGwannabe

Funnily enough, a lot of the people who don't like Nirvana are the sorts who like guitar solos and general widdly-ness (Evil Chase K and Aaron Maiden in this here topic I know of at least), which was effectively what music like Nirvana's killed off for the best part of the 90's. Personally, I hate that style of music to a degree, as too many bands throw out technical guitar work/solos just for the sake of it, seemingly. As Skumfrog said in another topic, I'd take a Johnny Marr over most of those kinda guitarists based purely substance over style.