World Cup 2006

Dan

I thought Campbell looked very solid. Even more so than Tery with that appauling howler to let in Jamaica. It's only thanks to Robinson that Terry didn't cost us a goal.

Bwahaha.

Campbell made a mistake in the second half to gift them a chance too.

Terry made one mistake, so did Campbell.

I'm just glad it's Sven who is picking the squad.

Hahaha. Trying to compare Sol Campbell to John Terry.

Give up, he's past it. Players seem to be able to get half a yard on him far too easily these days and I really hope he's only going to Germany as 4th choice, behind Carragher.

EDIT ~ Also CSAMH, my bad... I mis-interpreted what you were saying.

Edited by Whisper in the Wind

Carragher did well and his pass for Crouch's second goal was inch perfect. His over-lapping play with Beckham was great and he worked up and down the wing hard. I'd put him ahead of Neville but I'd imagine Sven puts Neville ahead of him so Carragher becomes the perfect utility defender on the bench.

On another point, why do people presume Brazil will do really well, even though most people haven't seen them since 2002.

I really believe, if England play as well as they can, with the players we have, we are a better team than Brazil.

Bugger. Just heard on Sky Sports, Ashley Cole's having a scan on his groin. Let's hope it's not serious because Wayne Bridge really isn't good enough to start for England in my opinion.

Also I'd definately pick Gary Neville over Carragher. I rate Carragher but he's a centre back really, he's not got much on Neville as a right back. He did play well today though. The only real problem I have with him is he's a bit negative at times, which I suppose can only be expected since he's a natural centre back.

Edited by Whisper in the Wind

The swiss are my team to watch. I think the Aussies might sneak through their group and get USA later on in the tournament, which would own all matches.

On another point, why do people presume Brazil will do really well, even though most people haven't seen them since 2002.

I really believe, if England play as well as they can, with the players we have, we are a better team than Brazil.

Because people go on the reputation of players like Ronaldinho. But he can easily be reduced to a nobody, just like in the Champions League Final. I agree England could, and should beat the likes of Brazil.

Ronaldinho is the type of player who is amazingly good if things are going right, but nobody when the game isn't going in his teams favor.

If England get Brazil at any stage, we need to score early goals and keep the ball.

Edited by The DanArockalypse

If Beckham can continue his crossing form into the WC we'll be laughing. Without his crosses he's just another player waiting to be booked, but when he's putting them in like that he's lethal.

Crouch was Man of the Match by miles, though. The only people that still call him crap are people that think Defoe should be in the squad ahead of him.

Shame Gerrard's been reduced to holding again though. He's being punished for being a better all-round player than Lampard, but as long as he can still get forward every now and again he'll be fine.

The Hamster's predictions:

GROUP A QUALIFIERS: Germany, Costa Rica

GROUP B: England, Sweden

GROUP C: Netherlands, Argentina

GROUP D: Portugal, Mexico

GROUP E: Czech Republic, Italy/USA

GROUP F: Brazil, Japan

GROUP G: Switzerland, Korea

GROUP H: Ukraine, Saudi Arabia

Germany bt. Sweden

Netherlands bt. Mexico

Japan bt. Czech Republic

Switzerland bt. Saudi Arabia

England bt. Costa Rica

Argentina bt. Portugal

Brazil bt. USA/Italy

Ukraine bt. Korea

Netherlands bt. Germany

Switzerland bt. Japan

England bt. Argentina

Brazil bt. Ukraine

Netherlands bt. Switzerland

England bt. Brazil

Netherlands bt. England

The swiss are my team to watch. I think the Aussies might sneak through their group and get USA later on in the tournament, which would own all matches.

Because people go on the reputation of players like Ronaldinho. But he can easily be reduced to a nobody, just like in the Champions League Final. I agree England could, and should beat the likes of Brazil.

lol Saudi Arabia getting through? Aren't they the team that haven't won in like 18 World Cup matches or something? haha.

Crouch's hat-trick should shut the rest up. People can't say how Crouch's second was a tap in considering it was such great play from the team. It's how Arsenal went on the 49 game unbeaten streak, they played good football and scored the easy goals.

6-0 against any team is impressive too right before a World Cup match.

lol Saudi Arabia getting through? Aren't they the team that haven't won in like 18 World Cup matches or something? haha.

Crouch's hat-trick should shut the rest up. People can't say how Crouch's second was a tap in considering it was such great play from the team. It's how Arsenal went on the 49 game unbeaten streak, they played good football and scored the easy goals.

6-0 against any team is impressive too right before a World Cup match.

More "you silly America people" fodder: ESPN's main anchor Chris Berman gave the list of his top 10 World Cup goals ever. They're pretty slanted towards more recent ones, but all 10 goals were really good.

10. Dario Rodriguez, Uruguay '02 vs Denmark (Group) -- I missed this one because I was racing for a pen, but I think I remember this one being a scissors kick.

9. Saeed Al-Owairan, Saudi Arabia '94 vs Belgium (Group) -- 40-yard speed burst through the middle as the defense parted like the Red Sea.

8. David Beckham, England '98 vs Colombia (Group) -- 25-yard free kick takes a 90-degree turn in midair to go in the net as the keeper stands in awe.

7. Earnest Stewart, United States '94 vs Switzerland (Group) -- Yes, the token American goal, but it was a free kick from 35 yards out, so there's some justification.

6. Roberto Baggio, Italy '94 vs Spain (Quarters) -- The ponytailed one shreds the entire Spanish back line in putting them through in the 89th minute to the semis.

5. Pele, Brazil '58 vs Sweden (Final) -- Volleys to himself, turns, and powers it in to help Brazil win the championship.

4. Michael Owen, England '98 vs Argentina (Round 2) -- 45-yard run around the entire back line, giving England the lead in the blood match.

3. Carlos Alberto, Brazil '70 vs Italy (Final) -- All 10 Brazilian outfielders touch the ball in the buildup, ending with a befuddled Italian team conceding a fourth goal.

2. Dennis Bergkamp, Netherlands '98 vs Argentina (Quarters) -- A 50-yard pass is touched down in midair by the right foot and sent in with the left without any dribbling to send Netherlands to the semis in injury time.

1. Diego Maradona, Argentina '86 vs England (Quarters, second goal) -- Maradona races 60 yards around the entire English team, single-handedly (sorry, couldn't resist) putting his team through on the way to World Cup glory.

Good list? Any others you recommend I watch?