World Cup 2006

Dan

Hiddink. That's who I want as England manager. In that last 2 World Cups, he's taken 2 unfancied teams much further than they had any business going. Nobody thought Korea, or Australia, would get as far as they did under Hiddink, but the man is a tactical genius, can get the best out of his players, and generally isn't afraid to make tough decisions and do what is best for the team.

Look at somebody like, for example, Luke Wilkshire. Plays for Bristol City in the English League 2, can't even get in their first team lately because he's seen as a 'fairweather' player by most, but under Hiddink he goes out and has the best series of games he's ever played.

Imagine what Hiddink could do with a squad as talented, and with as much potential, as England's.

While I'd like to see Hiddink as England manager more out of interest than anything else, I don't know how great a job he would do; smaller teams generally have smaller egos, and I see him as someone who's much better at unleashing the potential of a weaker side than one of the supposed top countries in the world.

That said, Hiddink as N.Ireland manager would rule all.

While I'd like to see Hiddink as England manager more out of interest than anything else, I don't know how great a job he would do; smaller teams generally have smaller egos, and I see him as someone who's much better at unleashing the potential of a weaker side than one of the supposed top countries in the world.

You can't really do much with the current NI squad outside of Davis and Hughes. Healy is overrated, and the rest are semi-professionals, bar a few. :P

http://www.ihateronaldo.com/

Hiddink. That's who I want as England manager. In that last 2 World Cups, he's taken 2 unfancied teams much further than they had any business going. Nobody thought Korea, or Australia, would get as far as they did under Hiddink, but the man is a tactical genius, can get the best out of his players, and generally isn't afraid to make tough decisions and do what is best for the team.

Look at somebody like, for example, Luke Wilkshire. Plays for Bristol City in the English League 2, can't even get in their first team lately because he's seen as a 'fairweather' player by most, but under Hiddink he goes out and has the best series of games he's ever played.

Imagine what Hiddink could do with a squad as talented, and with as much potential, as England's.

Why the fuck do people keep saying Bristol City play in league 2.

The commentators kept doing it too.

They're like, 3rd favourites to win league 1, and haven't played in league 2 for like, 30 years.

EXCLUSIVE: I'LL GET CON RON

EXCLUSIVE DREAM IN ROOINS: WAYNE'S FURY GERMANY 2006 Raging Rooney's threat to his Man United team-mate

Simon Wright And Justin Penrose In Gelsenkirchen

WAYNE ROONEY last night sensationally accused Cristiano Ronaldo of deliberately getting him sent off - as England crashed out of the World Cup against Portugal after a nerve-shredding penalty shoot-out.

He revealed that his Manchester United team-mate spoke to him just before the game and said: "I am going to get you sent off."

Rooney, in tears and raging, told fellow players in the dressing room: "I can never play with him again. I am going to f****** sort him out."

TV cameras caught the moment, before kick-off, when cocky Ronaldo whispered in Rooney's ear then butted his neck. Rooney looked bewildered.

Then, in the 61st minute, cheating Ronaldo kept his word - charging to the ref Horacio Elizonodo to badger him into showing England's talisman the red card for a seemingly accidental clash with Ricardo Carvalho. Rooney pushed him away - and Ronaldo got his wish.

As the England star headed off 32million fans watching on TV at home saw slimy Ronaldo wink smugly to his coach Phil Scolari.

Advertisement

Reduced to 10 men, lionhearted England held on without Rooney before losing 3-1 on penalties after extra time. Our boys wept, including defensive colossus John Terry. In the stands the wives and girlfriends who brought such fun to the tournament cried.

But passionless Sven Goran Eriksson stood rooted to the spot, barely a flicker of emotion on his face. His listless leadership of England despite trousering a £5million-a-year salary will land him in the dock of public opinion.

He had the most talented England squad for years - and failed to get the most from them. He said it would get better - it never did.

It was the third time Scolari had beaten England. In 2002 he led Brazil to a 2-1 victory in the World Cup quarter final. And in Euro 2004, Big Phil - now Portugal's coach - beat us on penalties after a 2-2 draw in the quarter final again.

Last night Manchester United sources revealed bad blood has festered between Rooney and Ronaldo for most of last season. A United insider said: "Wayne thinks Ronaldo is not a team man, is vain and only interested in himself."

Ronaldo has indicated that he wants a transfer to Real Madrid, but if that doesn't happen and he returns to Man U it will be as England's most hated man.

Last night England legend Alan Shearer spoke for the nation as he said: "I think Wayne Rooney should go back to the Manchester United training ground and stick one on Ronaldo."

Accountant Ben Wilson, 29, from London, who watched the game on a big screen outside the ground, said: "Rooney's sending-off was a disgrace. It was a foul but then Ronaldo was all over the ref trying to get him booked."

It was left to Scottish football pundit Alan Hansen to pinpoint where England went wrong...Eriksson's tactics.

He said: "The manager at no time got the balance right against Portugal - it never looked like working and he never tried to change. England played the system 4-5-1 that we questioned from the word go and never looked comfortable."

Alan Shearer said: "Sven obviously didn't fancy Peter Crouch. The same questions will be asked over and over again. Why only bring four strikers?" Ian Wright said: "We simply didn't have enough strikers."

It could all have been so different. Early on, boosted by the return of Gary Neville at right back, our boys looked a class apart from the team that trudged its way through the previous stages of the tournament.

But at the other end Portugal were causing problems too. And as the half wore on, England plunged back into their listless old way and the game became a scrappy affair.

In the second half injured Beckham had to be substituted. Then came Rooney's sending-off and, ironically, England began to play better. But still they couldn't score.

Finally, after 30 minutes extra time, it came down to penalties. Lampard missed England's first spot-kick, but Portugal missed two. Then, with the scores at 1-1, Gerrard had the chance to put England 2-1 up, but had his shot saved.

Portugal scored and it was up to Gerrard's Liverpool teammate Jamie Carragher, but he also had his penalty saved.

Then Ronaldo stepped up and fired his penalty high into the net and send Portugal through. A sickening end.

From the Sunday Mirror website.

ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONEEEEEEEEEYYYYYYYYY!