The Comic Book Thread (spoilers)

Your Mom

Why're you selling so many of your TPB's lately? :-/

Money. I can't leave the house, so I can't get a job, right? I figured that if I started with what I had already, and then scoured the internet for good deals on new stuff, I could just keep selling and bringing more in without losing any money, and hopefully making some.

Plus, it's an excuse almost to be able to read more. Because I sell everything as "read once" in near mint condition, I get to read them and then sell them. I'd rather be able to build a large collection, but circumstance just doesn't allow it.

I'm also trying to write a collection of short stories to self-publish and sell on eBay... so if I can make any kind of money to help out my parents while I'm being a bum, they would appreciate that...heh.

More people need to own Secret War and New Avengers so they can spot all the conspiracy stuff I have <3

I haven't been reading Secret Invasion, but the conversations and "conspiracy stuff" in this thread have been entertaining. You should really make a list of all of your theories about what's what. You could be the Mel Gibson of this particular conspiracy.

Speaking of... do the Skrulls have an inside man or woman on Earth already? Like, someone who isn't a Skrull, but is helping them? I just thought maybe they might, being that there are plenty of people who would have been able to out them before this all really began.

Courtesy of Newsarama

WHAT COST INVASION?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

by Troy Brownfield

It’s that time of year again. Spring and summer bring conventions, big-budget films, and crossovers. Periodically, Newsarama likes to take a close look at the consumer cost associated with following all of the official tie-ins for a larger storyline. The issue of cost will no doubt be on the minds of readers this summer; rumors suggest that gasoline will regularly top $4.00 a gallon, and other staple items (milk, bread, etc.) will likely rise in price as a result.

As such, readers will no doubt pay close attention to the cost associated with big storylines. At the very least, some readers will want to try to figure out what the bare minimum purchases might be in order to properly enjoy a wide-ranging story. These examinations imply no editorial judgment; they are merely a look at the totals as a service to the readership.

Our first story under the abacus this season is Secret Invasion. Presently, we have a comprehensive checklist of the story that runs through July. That will cover issues #1-4 of the 8-issue series, as well as all ancillary titles and spin-off minis from the official list to that point. It’s been suggested here and there that the “necessary” components will be the prime Secret Invasion mini, paired with the two Bendis-written Avengers books. Whether you buy all of the tie-ins is up to you and your individual proclivities, and as always, comes with the message from the publisher that you don't need all the tie-in issues to enjoy the story. If you only purchased Secret Invasion and the two Avengers books, your cost would be $9.97 a month, or $39.88 through July (before tax).

If you want to take a swing at the whole thing, look below. Subtotals and Totals are all before tax.

Before it all - Bonus! - The Secret Invasion Saga, one of the better "Saga" entries from Marvel was free!

April

Secret Invasion #1 $3.99

Mighty Avengers #12 $2.99

New Avengers #40 $2.99

April Subtotal: $9.97

May

Secret Invasion #2 $3.99

Captain Britain and MI:13 #1 $2.99

Incredible Hercules #117 $2.99

Mighty Avengers #13 $2.99

New Avengers #41 $2.99

Secret Invasion: Fantastic Four #1 $2.99

May Subtotal: $18.94

June

Secret Invasion #3 $3.99

Avengers: The Initiative #14 $2.99

Captain Britain and MI:13 #2 $2.99

Incredible Hercules #118 $2.99

Mighty Avengers #14 $2.99

Ms. Marvel #28 $2.99

New Avengers #42 $2.99

Secret Invasion: Fantastic Four #2 $2.99

Secret Invasion: Runaways/YA #1 $2.99

Secret Invasion: Who Do You Trust? $3.99

June Subtotal: $31.90

July

Secret Invasion #4 $3.99

Avengers: The Initiative #15 $2.99

Black Panther #39 $2.99

Captain Britain and MI:13 #3 $2.99

Incredible Hercules #119 $2.99

Mighty Avengers #15 $2.99

Ms. Marvel #29 $2.99

New Avengers #43 $2.99

New Warriors #14 $2.99

Secret Invasion: Fantastic Four #3 $2.99

Secret Invasion: Runaways/YA #2 $2.99

She-Hulk #31 $2.99

Thunderbolts #122 $2.99

X-Factor #33 $2.99

July Subtotal: $42.86

Subtotal as of July: $103.67 (again, that's the comprehensive story)

So there you have it: the complete cost for the first half of Secret Invasion. Down the road, we’ll calculate the second half, and check in on other events running into the fall. In the coming weeks, we’ll also look at Final Crisis coming from DC, promised as an event that won’t have as many tie-ins as previous events (although at least two miniseries that tie-in have been announced). We’ll see.

http://www.uncannyxmen.net/db/article/show...amp;fldAuto=324

Interview with Greg Pak and Axel Alonso regarding a new book that will follow the Phoenix Endsong/Warsong books. T'will be called Phoenix: Birthsong. Clicky clicky on the link for some information.

I don't trust that. Posted April 1 and all that...

EDIT: Highlight the second page.

Alonso: Sure. The one-shot will be on sale six months after... April Fools' Day!

If you haven't realized it by now, the entire interview was nothing but an April Fools' Day joke. If Marvel has indeed any plans for a series called X-Men: Phoenix – Birthsong or a humerous one-shot as described above, we knew nothing about it.

The first two images used along the interview were "borrowed" from other websites. Frankly, we couldn't ask for permission without having to reveal the purpose what we'd want to use the images for (and thus spoil the joke). Originally created by Stuart Saygner and Alan Davis, the two pictures can be found here:

- http://www.comicartfans.com/SketchbookMonth.asp?GSub=8642

- http://www.comicvine.com/marvel-girl/3566/

The final image was specifically created for this April Fool's joke and is a massively recolored and photo-shopped collage of several different scans. Pink Pearl was taken from the cover to Alpha Flight (1st series) #22. Miss Mass' head stems from Alpha Flight (1st series) #111, last page, while her body is actually that of Belle from the X-Ranch, as seen in Uncanny X-Men #399, page 7. The full body-shot of Big Bertha was found in the Deadpool/GLI Summer Fun Spectacular, page 15. The sashes and Phoenix logos are from several panels of the Phoenix Endsong limited series. Finally, the Phoenix effect in the background was taken from the inside cover of Classic X-Men #9.

This April Fools' Day joke was brought to you by Peter Luzifer, Binaryan (Ryan Jones) and Douglas Mangum.

Edited by Johnny Latino Heat

Yeah, I'm also not too keen on the fact that Swierczynski says in the interview that he's just discovered pulps while that pretty much drives practically all of Bru's recent work (based on an interview for the Ed Brubaker Captain America Omnibus).

He's either going to employ the cliche hammer or abandon the pulp feel and go for more of a Kurosawa samurai vibe (like his "Lone Wolf and Cable"). I did chuckle that the CBR article cites his work on "Calbe".

Brubaker and Fraction did a hell of a juggling act in Immortal. It's a white kung fu billionaire with alien origins. Only in comics do you come across crap like that and only really clever writing keeps it from being retarded. I'll give Swierczynski a chance, but only in hindsight. I'm not enough of a gambler to throw good money at his individual issues.

Speaking of Bru and noir, has anyone else hear been reading any of his Criminal stuff? Personally I think it is the best stuff he's ever been a part of and beyond that some of the best stuff being printed right now. I haven't started the new arc yet, but I've been trying to get this one as it comes out just because those sales are the only type that will keep the title going.

Robert Kirkman must have gorilla sized balls. Not balls the size of a gorillas, but each testicle must be the approximate size and mass of an adult primate in order for him to do what he's done in the past few issues of Walking Dead.

Just read #48...

I literally am... stunned.

He literally just fucking killed everyone but Rick and Carl off...

I know it's the point of the series to be shocking, but the killing of the baby isn't sitting well with me at all...

I did not like that. Like seriously, what the fuck?

I actually haven't liked the way the series has gone the past dozen or so issues. Seems like shock value for the sake of it with no real purpose.

It's not particularly good story telling either. Not like the first couple dozen issues.

I may wind up dropping the series if he doesn't have some astonishing and amazing new direction.

Read Captain America #37 a few hours ago, and the ending still wants to make me vomit....

It looks like the 1950's Captain America, the guy who had plastic surgery to look like Steve and took his name then later went nutso along with Nomad, who was his Bucky, then later became the evil Grand Director and was supposedly killed off, is back.....and in the Red Skull's hands.

Here's hoping Bucky shoots him in the head when they eventually end up fighting.