The Comic Book Thread (spoilers)

Your Mom

Ozymandias is revealed as the one behind The Comedian's death (iirc), and the whole thing was done to unify the the world against a common threat - a common, nonexistent threat (a faked alien invasion of New York City). Rorschach and Nite Owl think that Ozy's logic is shit. Everyone agrees that they're going to hide the truth from the world because the world's better off that way, Rorschach thinks that's bullshit and decides he's gonna go out and tell the truth, but Doctor Manhattan is all *VAPORIZES RORSCHACH*. Ozy asks Manhattan if he thinks he did the right thing, Manhattan claims that nothing ever ends and leaves Earth.

Split, if you're into detective shit, read Gotham City Central. Absolutely great. Um, Wormwood is generally pretty fun and the artwor is good. It's funny at times, but the endings are all incredibly fucking rushed. It's proof that Ben Templesmith should stick to art as opposed to writing, but go into expecting a laugh or two and some good artwork and it's okay.

If you're interested in more Warren Ellis stuff, his run with Ultimate Fantastic Four was awesome as shit. Same with his work on The Thunderbolts, and supposedly his run on Astonishing X-Men has been good too. Transmetropolitan was brilliant.

And though not like Fell at all, I will continue to stand by Elephant Men despite not being able to keep up with it recently.

Edited by Will Tang Clan

Has anyone read any Northlander (I think it's called that)? Is it any good?

Where do I find just a plain old list of whats coming out this week? I used to have a place and they dont seem to do it anymore and I've been to a bunch of other sites yet I find nothing :(

The New Releases page on the Previews site is what I usually use:

http://previews.diamondcomics.com/public/

Split, if you're into detective shit, read Gotham City Central. Absolutely great. Um, Wormwood is generally pretty fun and the artwor is good. It's funny at times, but the endings are all incredibly fucking rushed. It's proof that Ben Templesmith should stick to art as opposed to writing, but go into expecting a laugh or two and some good artwork and it's okay.

If you're interested in more Warren Ellis stuff, his run with Ultimate Fantastic Four was awesome as shit. Same with his work on The Thunderbolts, and supposedly his run on Astonishing X-Men has been good too. Transmetropolitan was brilliant.

And though not like Fell at all, I will continue to stand by Elephant Men despite not being able to keep up with it recently.

Thanks for the all the suggestions, man. My dad bought me Batman: The Long Halloween when he saw me browsing in waterstones, and I can't stop reading it. Usually I like to take my time and not rush things, but this is amazing.

FINALY The first Volum of the GENIUS Manga "20th Century Boys" was released in the US today!

http://parkablogs.com/content/comic-art-bo...-17-18-feb-2009

In Germany we are already at Volume 21 of 24 and i can tell you it´s well worth every penny, check it out. And do not be scared by it being a manga, it´s not the normal manga... it took a while for Adults in Germany to notice that this issent big eyed upskirt dragonball z... children did not like it, but by now it´s running very well.

This is a down to earth but sci fie thriller like Steven Kings Stand by Me, It, The Stand... or something like that... not Sailor Moon.

You´ll travel trough many decades to see the story unfoled... people tell me who loves 20th Century Boys will also love Lost and the other way around.

Seriusly, just check it out, you will not be disapointed!

BC_1591169224.jpgBC_1591169267.jpg

BC_1421519224.jpgBC_1421519232.jpg

20th Century Boys (20世紀少年 Nijyusseiki Shōnen?) is a science fiction mystery manga created by Naoki Urasawa. It won the 2001 Kodansha Manga Award in the General category,[1] an Excellence Prize at the 2002 Japan Media Arts Festival, and the 2003 Shogakukan Manga Award in the General category.[2]

Urasawa wrote 20th Century Boys along with another popular title, Monster, for 2 years (Monster ended in 2001). It was licensed by VIZ Media in 2005; however, at Urasawa's request, it has been rescheduled for release after Monster finishes its English serialization due to a change in art style over time.[3]

20th Century Boys seems to have been inspired in parts of the story by the works of Stephen King, containing allusions to It and The Stand. However, the story draws allusions mostly from rock and roll, with its title based on T. Rex's famous song, "20th Century Boy".

The last chapter of the story was serialized under the name 21st Century Boys.

A live action movie adaption was released, directed by Yukihiko Tsutsumi in Japan, on August 30, 2008. Previous to the release, the film preview was held in Paris, on August 19.

Yes, the Premiere of an Japanes Movie in Paris, not F´N Japan, thats how well it hit the western world.

Synopsis

Growing older is pretty rough and Kenji is finding out just how hard it can be as life starts wearing down on him. On top of trying to make ends meet running a convenience store he has to care for the niece that his missing sister left in his care. Memories of youth make it easier, until those memories come back to haunt him.

Kenji and his old friends are slowly being drawn into a mysterious conspiracy that could threaten the world. Who is the mysterious "Friend" and how does he tie into Kenji's youth? Why are there disappearances and deaths tied into Ochanomizu University? Their memories hold the keys to the puzzle, but time and age have clouded their minds.

The strange occurrences and the reach of the "Friend" conspiracy grow by the day. It will all culminate on New Year's Eve 2000. Will Kenji and the others be able to put together the puzzle and save the world?

Edited by Michael Matzat on a Plane

Anyone ever subscribe to a comic through Marvel? It seems way cheaper and I am wondering what the downside is.

I've subscribed to two different comics from Marvel in the past. Can't really think of any downside other than having to throw out the annoying little cardboard "sign up for more comics!" thing that comes in each package. And maybe it's a personal thing, but the psychological grip of it wears thin, as I'll tend to force myself to read the comic as soon as I get it in as opposed to my own leisure, only because I spent more money up front and feel I need to make the most of it. Other than that, its one payment, it shows up with your mail once twice a month. No fuss no muss.

I have glanced at Old Man Logan and I've liked it. I like the premise, too. I can't say much more than that, though.

I just finished the third issue of Magneto: Testament. READ IT. REAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD IT. Holy shit, read this. I was blown away by the first issue and the quality has kept up so far, and supposedly it doesn't stop. It's an incredibly depressing and somber read, but it's fucking amazing. Seriously, everyone ought to read it.

Yes, agreed on Magneto Testament. The whole series was top notch.

I'm digging Old Man Logan. I can go either way with Millar's work- a lot of the time I find it too overdone and "big screen" for my tastes, but when McNiven's the artist, I don't mind letting the pictures do the talking. The idea is pretty cool and so far the execution has been strong. I can't say if I'll feel the same way when this wraps up, but I'm enjoying it more than any of his other recent work, even Kick-Ass.

Anyone ever subscribe to a comic through Marvel? It seems way cheaper and I am wondering what the downside is.

They take a litte while longer to ship it, comic shops (at least here in germany) have stuff a cupple of days earlyer. But than again it´s almost half price... thats worth waiting a few days longer on something that only comes out once a month anyway. ;-)

I Have a Ultimate Spider-Man Subscription running, even though i usualy hate what happends and have no idea whats going on right now becaus i refuse to get a million books to understand this ultimatum thing. (yes, not even downloads of scanns, i dont care, and i don´t want it... maybe the ultimates hardcover in a year or so, but thats it... how dos this help me now? it dossent, BOOOOHooooo!)

Oh yeah, i also thought about getting the amazin spider man... for some reason they only aply shipping for 12 issues even though it´s 36... that makes the price even more rediculus... i have no idea whats going on in that comic aswell... only heared that it has gotten realy good after the big silly mephisto eraser event that i heared about.

Edited by Michael Matzat on a Plane

The only Marvel stuff I'm reading right now are Captain America and Avengers/Invaders, and I'm about to drop a DC title from my reading list. Is there there anything from Marvel I should check out? Keep in mind I have no interest whatsoever in the Ultimate books or anything written by Bendis (Paul Jenkins, too, if he's still working for Marvel), and I'm boycotting the Spider-Man books until BND is eventually undone.