The Comic Book Thread (spoilers)

Your Mom

I just read the first cupple of Irredeemable Books and it´s terrible. I have no idea how this was nominated for an Eisner Award.

I love 20th Century Boys and The walking dead though, so i hope the other nomines are less disapointing, will check them out soon.

Best Continuing Series

* Fables, by Bill Willingham, Mark Buckingham, Steve Leialoha, Andrew Pepoy et al. (Vertigo/DC)

* Irredeemable, by Mark Waid and Peter Krause (BOOM!)

* Naoki Urasawa's 20th Century Boys, by Naoki Urasawa (VIZ Media)

* The Unwritten, by Mike Carey and Peter Gross (Vertigo/DC)

* The Walking Dead, by Robert Kirkman and Charles Adlard (Image)

Full list of Nominies can be found here.

http://www.comic-con.org/cci/cci_eisners_10nom.php#nominees

I also wish Bendis would just stop writing the Avengers and let absolutely anyone else do it. His dialogue is just so bad. And while I like a lot of his ideas, his follow through is... not great. To be fair, he is a lot better on non-team books.

I just read the first cupple of Irredeemable Books and it´s terrible. I have no idea how this was nominated for an Eisner Award.

I love 20th Century Boys and The walking dead though, so i hope the other nomines are less disapointing, will check them out soon.

If it makes you feel any better, I think the Walking Dead is terrible. I read the first 3 trades and while I liked volume 1 okay, the next two volumes were just unbearable. As much as Bendis bugs me when he makes everyone sound the same, at least everyone doesn't sound like an identical exposition robot. Here's some choice never-ending monologue that drops about 5 pieces of useless information into one convenient speech:

"Rick: I'm just making sure we do what's right, Lori. I was put in charge after we left Atlanta. Honey, listen to me. I'm a cop-- I've been trained to make decisions like this. I'm the only one here in a position of authority. I'm making the choice that's best for all of us. That's what you all look up to me for. That's why everyone comes to me for advice and guidance. I'm in charge."

Also the art got worse, the plot was dull, and there was no character I cared about at all: all of them felt like cardboard props destined to be killed off dramatically except for Rick, who just irritated me. I get the appeal, but god that book bugs me.

Sucks to see Captain America passed over except in the single issue category for the Colan story about vampires, but Incognito being nominated for best limited makes up for it somewhat. Also J.H. Williams should win an Eisner for everything he does.

If you're looking for a specific one then you may as well look it up on Amazon. If you want a wider list, I dunno.

I'm currently facing an internal struggle between my (irrational?) dislike of Hardback copies and my desire to order 'Stark Disassembled'... :shifty:

I also wish Bendis would just stop writing the Avengers and let absolutely anyone else do it. His dialogue is just so bad. And while I like a lot of his ideas, his follow through is... not great. To be fair, he is a lot better on non-team books.

If it makes you feel any better, I think the Walking Dead is terrible.

There is no way you need to like The Walking Dead, it´s special in many ways so it´s very likely that you end up with something that dos not apeal to everyone. But asides from the over the Top Governor Character most of what happens in TWD makes sense in the Universe it put itself in. Irredeemable dossent, the reactions and actions are blowen out way out of proportion, mass genocide with lame reasons like "You are not greatfull" or "Why arent you aplauding?" is pritty much the worst bad guy motivation i know from any comic. It´s more on a Kane vs HHH Kati Vick Level.

Esp. Invincible (yeah yeah, more Kirkman...) brings up the Question of good and evil in a Super Hero context much better.

Irredeemable being considerd awesome seems to me like on of the reasons why comics are being looked down on.

One thing I wonder about Irredeemable and Incorruptible:

Max Daring's power is he becomes stronger and more resistant to damage the longer he stays awake, but at the sacrifice of being able to feel anything. And his powers reset when he goes to sleep.

Have they said how long he'd have to stay awake in order to be able to kick the Plutonian's ass?

And have they done any flashbacks to before the Plutonian went nuts?

One thing I wonder about Irredeemable and Incorruptible:

Max Daring's power is he becomes stronger and more resistant to damage the longer he stays awake, but at the sacrifice of being able to feel anything. And his powers reset when he goes to sleep.

Have they said how long he'd have to stay awake in order to be able to kick the Plutonian's ass?

And have they done any flashbacks to before the Plutonian went nuts?

No, because his powers come at a cost.

Sleep deprivation. After all, he's just human... with that power. He can't stay awake forever.

In fact, the last issue ended with a cliffhanger due to that, actually.

So I just read 99 issues of Exiles over the course of 2 days... God damn, if there was ever a property I've wanted turned into a TV show this would be it.

I enjoyed the "World Tour" arc a lot, but dropped the book as soon as Chris Claremont took over writing.

I really, really cannot wait for that show. If it's half as good as the books, it'll be the best show on TV.

Oh, it wil be.

The directors for the first six are:

1) Me.(=Darabont -> the mist, the green mile)

2) Michelle MacLaren (Breaking Bad, X-Files)

3) Gwyneth Horder-Payton (The Shield, BSG)

4) Johan Renck (Breaking Bad)

5) Ernest Dickerson (The Wire, Dexter)

6) Guy Ferland (The Shield, Sons of Anarchy)

The writers for the first six are:

1) Me

2) Me

3) Me, Chic Eglee, Jack LoGuidice. (Chic: The Shield, Dexter. Jack: Sons of Anarchy)

4) Robert Kirkman (wrote some comics I think)

5) Glen Mazzara (The Shield, Hawthorne)

6) Adam Fierro (The Shield, Dexter, 24)

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/45801

Sounds to good to be true.

The The walking Dead Trailer is fucking Sexy. The TV Show seems to aim for a lot more action, but with the list of directors and writers anounced i have faith in them not fucking it up... season two aperently is almost set in stone and romero is rumored to direct an episode.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBiI6YRfWIY

Edited by Michael Matzat on a Plane

I just finished The Walking Dead #75, finally getting myself caught up to the series, goddamn I love this book.

The trailer for the show looks amazing, and I liked that they cast Lennie James as Morgan, I've always enjoyed him whenever I see him. The show should be great, I just hope it finds an audience. Luckily it's on AMC where a million viewers is considered a success, so I'm optimistic.

A friend would like to know some good trades to pick up in order to get started on the X-Men. My collection thus far has only briefly dipped into X-Men stuff (e.g. House of M), so I don't immediately have an answer for her either. Too busy picking up Avengers stuff, you see. :shifty: (Speaking of which, my hardbacks of 'Invincible Iron Man: Stark Disassembled' and 'Captain America: Two Americas' arrive tomorrow, so yay!)

I've been poking through Wiki to try and pinpoint something for her. I think something pre-House of M would probably make sense, but nothing too old, so I've been looking in the sort of 2000-2005 timeframe. However, once there, I don't know what trade arc would be a good idea to point her at. Ones that simply appear to make sense from the list in front of me include 'Uncanny X-Men Volume 1: Hope' (from ~2002), or maybe skip forward to 'Uncanny X-Men The New Age Volume 1: The End of History' (from ~2004), and so on. Whether any of these are particularly good is also another question.

So yeah, any advice from here which I can give her?

Pre and immediately post House Of M the X-Men was terribly written. In fact, up until the last 4 or 5 years I think The X-Men was really bad. I would suggest the following, and it is where I jumped back in at myself after I totally gave up on the X-Verse in like 2001 or 2002 minus a few browsing of issues here and there.

X-Men Deadly Genesis by Brubaker.

Uncanny Rise And Fall OF The Shiar Empire

X-Men Supernovas

And then go from then on with the two main X-Books. Deadly Genesis was a stand alone mini series that was the lead in to Bru's run on Uncanny, and it is very pivotal to that run

I would also recommend Madrox Mutiple Choice and follow that with the current run of X-Factor starting with The Longest Night and moving forward. X-Factor is awesome beyond belief.

Also, any and all of the X-23 stuff, followed by New X-Men when Kyle and Yost took the book over.

Everything I have mentioned eventually connects and runs together in the Messiah Complex massive crossover storyline.

Hmm, okay. So I could give her a reading list of:

1) X-Men: Deadly Genesis

2) Uncanny X-Men: Rise and Fall of the Shi'ar Empire

...to get her started. I approve of it being Brubacker-heavy, since I've been loving all his Captain America stuff. :shifty:

Does Deadly Genesis explain the backdrop of House of M well enough, or might she need to have read that too?