The Comic Book Thread (spoilers)

Your Mom

Teaser for New X-Force, beginning in October, by writer Rick Remender and artist Jerome Opeña:

1271613519.jpg

Based on the shadows, I'm guessing the lineup will be something along the lines of:

Wolverine (duh)

Domino (the long haired one, right next to Wolverine)

Deadpool (the shape of the head, swords on his back?)

Archangel (the one with the wings)

Fantomex? (the one with a cape and a gun, I think)

Thoughts?

Oh, and regarding the X-Men teasers,

"Mutants vs. Vampires" begins in a new "X-Men" #1 by Victor Gischler and Paco Medina.

and

Singh said that, following "Second Coming," the X-Men will be much more integrated into the Marvel Universe, which will explain why Spider-Man, She-Hulk and others are in the X-Men promotional images.

Source: CBR

Edited by Johnny Latino Heat

So anyone subscribe to comics off Marvel.com? I'm thinking about getting a Secret Avengers subscription for a least a year cause I don't live near a comic store.

• 2 weeks later...

I purchased the latest Vertigo Crime graphic novel, "Area 10" by Christos Gage and Chris Samnee. Ordinarily, I wouldn't spend $20 on a book after reading only a short preview, but the strength of the creative team and the quality of said preview pulled me in. I'm glad I picked it up because it was a compelling read with plenty of twists and turns that (to use a cliche) never took the easy way out as far as the plot progession went. Samnee's art always looks great, but it was really strong here- most of the book was done in a subdued, realistic style, but the scenes that bended reality, so to speak, were done really innovatively. It's definitely worth reading- if the price is off-putting, see if you can grab it from a library.

So anyone subscribe to comics off Marvel.com? I'm thinking about getting a Secret Avengers subscription for a least a year cause I don't live near a comic store.

I get Ultimate Spider-Man of Marvel. It´s chaper and they replace the book if it gets lost. The packeging is ok, cardboard back and plastic foil.

So I just started reading Irredeemable this afternoon.

Holy shit, Mark Waid.

Hol-ee shit.

SO MANY AWESOME MOMENTS.

Plutonian killing Hornet's daughter in issue 1, and the whole *whisper* "Do you know who I am, Sarah? I'm a superhero." line. Forcing Qubit to pick 10 people that Qubit thinks he's saving, only to turn around and vaporize them. Cary's escalation into a total uberdick after Scylla dies.

This book is beyond rad.

So I just started reading Irredeemable this afternoon.

Holy shit, Mark Waid.

Hol-ee shit.

SO MANY AWESOME MOMENTS.

Plutonian killing Hornet's daughter in issue 1, and the whole *whisper* "Do you know who I am, Sarah? I'm a superhero." line. Forcing Qubit to pick 10 people that Qubit thinks he's saving, only to turn around and vaporize them. Cary's escalation into a total uberdick after Scylla dies.

This book is beyond rad.

If you like that, try Incorruptible as well. It's the reverse of the coin, so to speak. A supervillain going straight after Plutonian's rampage. Also very good. Not as good as Irredeemable, but well, not much is :P

May as well throw this in here...

I never grew up reading Marvel or DC comics and have only recently been spurred on to get some of the graphic novels. My astonishingly-limited collection so far includes 'Red Son' (Superman), 'Year One' and 'Dark Knight Returns' (Batman) from the DC side of things. As for Marvel, I recently picked up both 'Road To Civil War' and 'Civil War', which were quite good.

Obviously it's difficult for me to know where to go with these things because simply typing any character into Amazon or Wikipedia will provide me with a whole host of collections, re-done versions, and all sorts. So I figured I'd ask here:

If I wanted to get graphic novels of Captain America and/or The Avengers, which ones are the best choice?

For Captain America, your best bet would be starting with the beginning of Ed Brubaker's run. There are two omnibus editions out collecting the bulk of it, and I'm sure it's also out in trade (start with the Winter Soldier book).

As far as Avengers, a good place to start is the beginning of New Avengers- I think that storyline was called "The Breakout", so that's probably the name of the trade.

Hmm, and a new "Captain America: Winter Soldier Ultimate Collection TPB" (aka books 1 and 2 together) was released on Amazon.co.uk just a couple of weeks ago. Excellent.

I'll get Breakout as well, since it's only six quid. (Y)

If anyone could help me out, does anyone know a site where they have like, a list of every paperback/other publications? Like from Batman, Green Lantern, stuff like the Showcase Presents, Civil War, etc? I had one site where they had every comic book released for a bunch of characters and other stuff, but I had to reinstall my computer and lost my bookmarks. If anyone could help me out with a site that has that kind of stuff, I'd appreciate it. (Y)

If anyone could help me out, does anyone know a site where they have like, a list of every paperback/other publications? Like from Batman, Green Lantern, stuff like the Showcase Presents, Civil War, etc? I had one site where they had every comic book released for a bunch of characters and other stuff, but I had to reinstall my computer and lost my bookmarks. If anyone could help me out with a site that has that kind of stuff, I'd appreciate it. (Y)

I can help with lists of Marvel Essentials and Showcase Presents, but that's about it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Essential_Marvel

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Showcase_Presents_publications

I thought they did something really dumb with the Marvel Essentials line, regarding the X-Men:

Essential Uncanny X-Men vol 1 = X-men #1-24 from the 60s.

There is no Uncanny X-Men vol 2.

Instead they renamed it, so its Essential Classic X-Men vol 2, which is X-Men #25-53 and Avengers #53. There's a Classic X-Men vol 3, which reprints issues #54-66, the covers to #s 67-93 (which were reprints), and a bunch of other X-Men appearances before Giant-Size X-Men #1. (I own vol 1 and 2, but not 3 yet)

The Essential volume with Giant-Size X-Men and issues #94-119 is just called Essential X-Men volume 1. So thing will get interesting if they ever decide to reprint the series just called X-Men....

Edited by GhostMachine

Me again, back for more recommendations having enjoyed both Winter Soldier and the first New Avengers book (Breakout). (Y)

1) Is it worthwhile continuing on with the New Avengers? Reviews on Amazon are mixed, but that's what you'd expect from Amazon. Since there are currently 11 or 12 books already, I figured it was probably best to ask now.

2) How about a Green Lantern recommendation? (my next random character of choice)

I just started getting into comics myself, but I got a few Green Lanterns. I recommend anything by Geoff Johns. I got Rebirth, Wanted: Hal Jordan, Revenge Of The Green Lanterns and No Fear and they're really good. I'm about to buy some more of his Green Lantern comics myself, they've been really good. I also got Green Lantern/Green Arrow volumes 1 and 2 and they were good as well.

Thanks for the help, Ghostmachine (Y)

Me again, back for more recommendations having enjoyed both Winter Soldier and the first New Avengers book (Breakout). (Y)

1) Is it worthwhile continuing on with the New Avengers? Reviews on Amazon are mixed, but that's what you'd expect from Amazon. Since there are currently 11 or 12 books already, I figured it was probably best to ask now.

2) How about a Green Lantern recommendation? (my next random character of choice)

New Avengers is just as awesome for the next three volumes without a doubt. Although I suggest you pick up House of M before reading volume 4: The Collective - it may be a little confusing otherwise.

If your going to read House of M you may aswell also get Avengers: Disassembled which is the lsat Avengers story before they became 'New.' Its a good story and works as a prelude/set up to both New Avengers and the House of M.

Volume 5 is the Civil War tie in, which while not as good as previous volumes... if you enjoyed Civil War then you'll enjoy this because it adds more depth to the main story.

After that its still damn good, definitly worth reading :) Hope that helps at all.

Lots of recommendations there - cheers guys. :) Working through the Marvel lot and a couple of the Green Lanterns should no doubt keep me busy for the rest of the month at least...

For the first batch I'm going for Avengers: Disassembled, House of M, and New Avengers #2 & #3.

New Avengers is AWESOME until the Civil War tie in, which is a bit shit. Then it picks up, then gets mightly shit about the time of Secret Invasion. That's when I stopped buying it, so I don't know what it's been like afterwards.

Okay, I read that they finally revealed the true identities of Red Hulk and Red She-Hulk, and I'm so glad I haven't been following the Hulk titles, because I'm severely disappointed. Looks like the writers were too pea-brained to come up with an original idea.

Rulk and Red She-Hulk turned out to be

Thunderbolt Ross and Betty Ross Banner. Lame, considering those were the most obvious choices (though I'm glad Rulk didn't turn out to be Glenn Talbot like some people were thinking), and they've both been monsters before (Zzzax and Harpy).

LAME!

Edited by GhostMachine

Okay, I read that they finally revealed the true identities of Red Hulk and Red She-Hulk, and I'm so glad I haven't been following the Hulk titles, because I'm severely disappointed. Looks like the writers were too pea-brained to come up with an original idea.

Rulk and Red She-Hulk turned out to be

Thunderbolt Ross and Betty Ross Banner. Lame, considering those were the most obvious choices (though I'm glad Rulk didn't turn out to be Glenn Talbot like some people were thinking), and they've both been monsters before (Zzzax and Harpy).

LAME!

Yeah, I mean, really, who didn't see that coming? Then again, it's Jeph Loeb, so... what could you expect, right? (N)

1) New Avengers is hit or miss, but for all intents and purposes, it was really Marvel's flagship book during the time it ran, so that's something to consider. The Secret Invasion tie-ins got tiresome, but that's way down the line. But hey, if you liked Breakout, pick up the next one and go on a case by case basis. I think "The Sentry" comes next, which is pretty decent.

2) Like Hewey said, start with Rebirth for Green Lantern and go from there. Like Brubaker on Captain America, most of what Johns has done for GL over the past 5 years has been one big, flowing story. Personally, I thought the peak was the Sinestro Corps War (which is around issues 21-25 of GL), but I'd stay start with Rebirth and go from there. It's a little tough to get into if you don't know any of the backstory (why Hal Jordan is the Spectre, for instance), but some research should clear it up and make it a satisfying read.

1) New Avengers is hit or miss, but for all intents and purposes, it was really Marvel's flagship book during the time it ran, so that's something to consider. The Secret Invasion tie-ins got tiresome, but that's way down the line. But hey, if you liked Breakout, pick up the next one and go on a case by case basis. I think "The Sentry" comes next, which is pretty decent.

2) Like Hewey said, start with Rebirth for Green Lantern and go from there. Like Brubaker on Captain America, most of what Johns has done for GL over the past 5 years has been one big, flowing story. Personally, I thought the peak was the Sinestro Corps War (which is around issues 21-25 of GL), but I'd stay start with Rebirth and go from there. It's a little tough to get into if you don't know any of the backstory (why Hal Jordan is the Spectre, for instance), but some research should clear it up and make it a satisfying read.

In Rebirth, before the story begins, there's a page where they go through each main character and explain the backstory, so he won't be completely clueless to it. I had never read GL before rebirth, but got caught up quickly thanks to them having that information in the book.

BTW, Boulder, did you ever read Green Lantern: Agent Orange or Green Lantern: Secret Origins by Geoff Johns? Are they worth getting?

Edited by Baby Hewey