The Comic Book Thread (spoilers)

Your Mom

I checked out the first five issues of Superior Spider-Man after hearing about what happened and I actually, surprisingly, really like it. That said, I have two minor questions about the current state of the continuity, spoilered just to be 100% safe for anyone else who's been out of the loop:

How long has JJ been mayor? And how did Peter come to be working at this Horizon Labs place?

I checked out the first five issues of Superior Spider-Man after hearing about what happened and I actually, surprisingly, really like it. That said, I have two minor questions about the current state of the continuity, spoilered just to be 100% safe for anyone else who's been out of the loop:

How long has JJ been mayor? And how did Peter come to be working at this Horizon Labs place?

JJ has been mayor for a long time now, since ASM #591; IIRC, Spidey went on an adventure with the Fantastic Four to the Macroverse, where time passed differently, and when they came back, a month had passed since they had left and Jonah had just been elected mayor.

As for the Horizon Labs, IIRC he started working there right at the beginning of the Big Time storyline (from ASM #648 onwards); since they didn't have a strict schedule, valued privacy and only requested that he gave them results, he could come and go as he pleased, thus actually managing to keep the job, something that didn't happen every other time he managed to get a job at a lab.

Ok, I know that I've been talking about Valiant a bit but really they're fixing to nail a pretty good run in the next couple of months with the Harbinger Wars in Harbinger and Bloodshot, and then Planet Death in X-O .... the books have been fantastic thus far and I think this story lines will really deliver. Then, in Shadowman the whole issue with Master Darque has been great and they've really set him up to be a right evil/dirty bastard.

Oh, and Thanos Rising looks lovely ... a 5 issue Thanos origin story ? FUCK YES.

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty sure that's what's written on the cover.

My copy of Guardians of the Galaxy has arrived! It was... okay. It'll be a good introduction for a lot of people. Thoughts in the spoiler for anyone that still hasn't read Thanos Imperative and wants to (because holy shit why haven't you read Thanos Imperative you stupid shit?!)

So, my big problem with Nova and GotG is that there's almost no follow up to the "death" of Peter Quill, Richard Rider and if I remember correctly, Drax too. It jumps in, presumably AFTER Peter Quill has returned from The Cancerverse and surprised his friends and the world by being like HEY LOOK I'M ALIVE AWESOME. There's barely any mention of what happened there. Drax I can deal with, obviously Thanos is back in some capacity and I'm pretty sure the rule is if Thanos lives, so does Drax. But what about Star Lord? How did he get back? Without Richard Rider? Is Rich dead? How is there a Nova Force still? Why doesn't Sam Alexander have contact with the World Mind? Where are all the rest of the GotG roster that was around towards the end of the run? What about The Annihilators, is that still a thing? So many questions. I just feel like some hinting or solving at least one of them was needed. I guess there's plenty of time for that later, but it just seems like forgetting the fans of the previous run in an attempt to bring in new ones.

My other big problem is what the fuck is Iron Man doing in my Guardians of the Galaxy? I get WHY they're doing it, because again, it's going to bring more readers in. But I don't like it. You just know Iron Man is going to take center stage and there's already a bunch of great characters that would easily hold the book up, if you'd give them half a chance to shine. Literally the second half of issue one is pretty much Iron Man. I get why it's happening, but I don't like it at all. If I wanted to read Iron Man, I'd be reading Iron Man.

Pretty sure that's what's written on the cover.

My copy of Guardians of the Galaxy has arrived! It was... okay. It'll be a good introduction for a lot of people. Thoughts in the spoiler for anyone that still hasn't read Thanos Imperative and wants to (because holy shit why haven't you read Thanos Imperative you stupid shit?!)

So, my big problem with Nova and GotG is that there's almost no follow up to the "death" of Peter Quill, Richard Rider and if I remember correctly, Drax too. It jumps in, presumably AFTER Peter Quill has returned from The Cancerverse and surprised his friends and the world by being like HEY LOOK I'M ALIVE AWESOME. There's barely any mention of what happened there. Drax I can deal with, obviously Thanos is back in some capacity and I'm pretty sure the rule is if Thanos lives, so does Drax. But what about Star Lord? How did he get back? Without Richard Rider? Is Rich dead? How is there a Nova Force still? Why doesn't Sam Alexander have contact with the World Mind? Where are all the rest of the GotG roster that was around towards the end of the run? What about The Annihilators, is that still a thing? So many questions. I just feel like some hinting or solving at least one of them was needed. I guess there's plenty of time for that later, but it just seems like forgetting the fans of the previous run in an attempt to bring in new ones.

My other big problem is what the fuck is Iron Man doing in my Guardians of the Galaxy? I get WHY they're doing it, because again, it's going to bring more readers in. But I don't like it. You just know Iron Man is going to take center stage and there's already a bunch of great characters that would easily hold the book up, if you'd give them half a chance to shine. Literally the second half of issue one is pretty much Iron Man. I get why it's happening, but I don't like it at all. If I wanted to read Iron Man, I'd be reading Iron Man.

I downloaded the 6 Marvel Cosmic Events and finished Annihilation and Annihilation: Conquest. I'm currently reading War of Kings so I haven't got to Thanos Imperative yet.

I thought All New Xmen was a really stupid idea when I first heard it, but I just read the first issue and I actually kinda like it. Might follow it in trades

I sub'd it after the first issue. It's freaking great.

Just got done with AOU book 3 and uh, interesting:

Vision .. huh