The Comic Book Thread (spoilers)

Your Mom

The best part about Avengers Arena is the letters to the editor.

It's literally the most well written ways of saying "Fuck this book and fuck you for killing great characters for a sales boost and a trend bandwagon" I've ever seen. I really hope the backlash to this leads to it being retconned out of existence.

JLU made me love The Question so now I'm starting my first dive into older comics just to get more of him.

Just read the two New 52 Animal Man trades. They were awesome! Does it stay good after issue 10?

Yeah, it does, at least until the end of the Rotworld crossover with Swamp Thing (by the way, if you like Animal Man, chances are you'll like Swamp Thing, which is kind of essential to fully understand and enjoy the Rotworld crossover).

Marvel should just say `fuck it' and do a mini-series called Avengers Avengers: A bunch of members of the team are killed in battle with The Masters Of Evil, so survivors and former members of the Avengers band together to avenge their deaths.

Thinking about reading Justice League Dark but the only characters I know anything about are Zatanna and Deadman. Should I still give it a go?

Anyone got any suggestions of big DC events or stories to read? Or even just runs of characters? I'm looking for guys like Green Arrow, stuff with Deathstroke, Superman, Flash and so on. I've tried and tried to get into Green Lantern: Sinestro Corps Wars but holy shit, too much convoluted, can't deal with it. Not looking for Batman or the Bat family stuff, I've ready pretty much all of it.

I haven't read it yet, but I heard good things about Deathstroke's solo series post New 52.

Frankenstein: Agent of SHADE looks promising. I've got the first issue and I want more. I think they cancelled it after 14 or 15 though.

The Lantern stuff is hard to keep up on. It's easier to do it if you can find the books in a digital format, already numbered in chronological order. They're definitely worth reading, because everything Lantern from Geoff Johns' origin re-telling and on has been fantastic. It does get overwhelming though.

I really liked All-Star Superman. It's a self-contained story, so that makes it easy.

With the New 52 still being relatively recent, I would suggest even just grabbing the first issue from the titles you haven't read and give them a try. Can't hurt really, unless your wallet is as tight as mine.

If I want to read Dick Grayson as Batman what do I need to read?

Thinking about reading Justice League Dark but the only characters I know anything about are Zatanna and Deadman. Should I still give it a go?

Yes! Start from when Lemire started on the book and read it, it is very good. I believe he jumped on issue 9.

Kirkland: I can't remember which one, but I'm pretty sure it was from Batman & Robin pre-DCnU but post Return of Bruce Wayne. I wanna' say somewhere around issue 20. I'm not digging through my comic collection to double-check. However, Robin is Damian, the blue-and-grey Batman is clearly Dick Grayson, and the costume that Bruce is wearing is from the original, heavily-delayed five-issue pre-DCnU run of Batman: The Dark Knight, as well as the ten-issue (okay, technically eight-issue and one special issue) run of Batman Incorporated. Publishing-wise, this is almost two years after DC did Battle for the Cowl.

I'm finishing up Guardians of the Galaxy vol. 2 right now, and I'm so enthralled by Adam Warlock. He's such a tragic figure in the marvel universe. I really hope that he gets some play in the film.

Reading Batman Beyond Unlimited. Jesus Christ the future tech Batsuit's Cowl did not translate well into comics.

Anyone know if DC does a digital download option similar to Marvel Unlimited, where you pay a straight monthly or annual fee and get access to the entire library? I can't see anything on their site like that, but I'm probably just being blind.

Reading Battle for The Cowl. Were Damian and Tim both Robin at the same time? Cause when Oracle catches Damian joyriding he's wearing a Robin costume of sorts and Tim was defo wearing his earlier.

Reading Battle for The Cowl. Were Damian and Tim both Robin at the same time? Cause when Oracle catches Damian joyriding he's wearing a Robin costume of sorts and Tim was defo wearing his earlier.

When Damian arrives, he beats the shit out of Tim to prove himself to Bruce. When Bruce arrives home, Damian is wearing the costume and gloating. For the next bit, I believe that he and Tim were both wearing the costume. I believe Damian was trying to replace Tim, but I'm not sure how long that went on for before Tim just went off and became Red Robin instead. I know that a central part of Dick Grayson being Batman was him having Damian Wayne as his Robin.

The Bat books can be as much of a clusterfuck as the Lantern books. Sometimes it gets hard to follow.

• 2 weeks later...

Reading Earth 2. Only 6 issues in but it might have knocked off Suicide Squad as my favorite.