Games that took you ages to finish...

PkmnTrainerJ

Guest usual suspect

I remember a game called Broken Sword taking an absolute age to finish. FF7 took awhile, and GTA Vice City always pissed me off because I'd completed all the regular missions but I couldn't get the mob to come down for me because I couldn't be arsed to complete all the frenzy missions and find all the hidden packages.

I rarely beat games. Most games either become too repetitive or too boring within two weeks, and I stop. Games that can keep my attention for longer then that, I usually beat. Shellshock 67' was a short game, I beat it in 3 days.

The only game that has taken me an extended amount of time to beat was Duke Nukem 3D. I was like 10 when I started, and I would just replay each level over and over and over until I got utterly bored with it before moving on. It took me roughly 3 months to beat it.

GTA San Andreas, even though there is so much to do I get bored after 30 minutes anyways because if I do a mission and I fuck up I just can't be arsed to do the same mission again, so I just start riding around the city which gets boring too. I have San Andreas for a long time now, but I never have the urge to complete the game.

God of War...can't finish that because suddenly my cd had a scratch on it, and I was so damn far! :(

I've still not finished FF7. Mainly because I lost it, found it, lost my memory card, lost the game, got PS2, found memory card, found game, lost memory card, lost game.

Recently I found another memory card and the game. So I intend on finishing it.

• 7 years later...

After 24 years of trying with various layouts, finally today I reached Megalopolis (500,000) on Sim City for SNES and got my Mario statue. Only took me to the year 2163, but that's something I can finally cross off my video game bucket list.

Unless you had a good excuse like Kats, how could anyone not blitz through FF VII? That game captivated me like very few have. I remember one night playing until 4am because I couldn't stop! As for games it took me a while to finish, probably desert strike on the megadrive. I purchased my PlayStation not that long after I found a cheap copy of that and it pretty much got put to one side for ages.

I never finished FF VII... power outage while I was on Disc 3 and hadn't saved in a looooooooooooong time forever pissed me off from ever picking up the game again.

That and the fact that, ya know, it's not that good. :devil:

Topics that took you ages to reply to...

On the FFVII front, I think I got to the final crater or whatever and got my ass kicked a few times so I put it down, never to pick it back up again. Then I think I lost my save file and have had a few attempts since then where I restart, stop and then restart again because I don't want to just pick up half way without having the whole story.

Couple of things fitting this idea, MGS3 I got near the end of, never finished and then finally did during one of my 360 RRoD periods. Wanted to do the same with X-Men Legends but it fell victim to the 'restart, never finish' thing.

Also beat Double Dragon II and Super Mario Land 2 on GameBoy after getting a Super GameBoy off eBay when they had one of those free £5 voucher things a few years ago. Had to beat SML2 in one shot too because the battery is dead or something. Odd because other stuff I have like Pokemon are fine. *Knock on wood*

Oh, and I actually tried to finish Chrono Trigger on DS a few months ago after my interest in that system picked up again but I died after making it through quite a few forms of the final boss.

I am yet to get around finishing Shenmue II. I really want to but knowing there is/will not be a shenmue III, I'm not sure if I can be bothered.
Also Assassin's Creed (The first one). I can't get passed the damn horse riding. I've had it since release and maybe a few hours in is as far as I have gotten.

As for games I have completed...Saints Row took me about 6 years to complete butt hat was because I just blitz through the series with full cheats just to see how the stories played out.

I just finished Assassin's Creed Black Flag which was a Christmas present. I say finish, I'm done with the story, there's quite a few side things left to do but it's pretty unlikely I'll do them. It always takes me ages to finish those games. They're fun for the first few days but they're very formulaic. Plus I don't really have a clue what's going in story wise anyway so there's no real desire to get to the next revelation.

• Like 1

Too me around 2 years to complete the Forest Temple in Ocarina of Time, mostly because I was playing on a friends cart and got to a point where I had all but 1 or 2 keys and each time I started playing it was just hunt for which keys I need then got bored and went fishing.

I got passed that section was when I got my own N64 and started the game over and blitzed through the temple.

• Like 1