EWB Band 100 III Results

Jook

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hundred Reasons are a big-ish band in the UK, ergo they got some votes by UK members. They've had three generally excellent albums (especially their debut "Ideas Above Our Station" which is probably one of my faves of all time) so I wouldn't exactly tap them in as a "flavour of the month" sort.

That's rather laughable.

Death Cab/WAS should be higher, and who the fuck are the Dears?

I don't see how - Ideas... was class and a huge chart success, Shatterproof is Not a Challenge built on that with some really great hooks in particular and, if you've heard it, Kill Your Own is a brilliant return to the heavier sound of the Fierce Panda EP days.

While I understand music is a matter of personal taste, I find the "laughable" comment even funnier when it's above a demand for a better position for DCFC.

Kill Your Own isn't too bad from the bits and pieces I've heard. But they're so goddamn samey. The first album was alright on the first listen through, but it was jsut the same thing over and over really, and if I remember rightly, there was a bit bit of similar sounding stuff out at the same time.

I'd go for Hundred Reasons being higher than Death Cab, personally, but as Intent was saying, it is a personal choice. The first album quite rightly got lauded everywhere because at the time it was pretty fresh and is full of good songs. Though you are trying to suggest that there was similar sounding stuff out around the same time, I think Hundred Reasons actually missed out in being a little earlier with their best releases, and should/could have been a lot more popular if they came along around the time a lot of the other bands got big.

Oh, and they are excellent live, which I really didn't expect.

And Trivium hate has to be expected, as not only is their generally a lot of backlash against bands that are pimped heavily, but they aren't really THAT good personally (and as far as others are concerned as you can see). I'm a fan, but there are more than 100 bands that I'd stick in here before I even considered Trivium, and that isn't even hyperbolic.

Edited by liamwannabe

Flavour of the weak? They've been around for a good six years, have released 3 albums and countless solo and joint-EPs. They've played the mainstage at Reading and Leeds, and are popular in Europe and Japan I believe.

They're still an EWB flavor of the week. I mean, a good majority of people have already asked who they are. I know this isn't an all-time list or anything, but if you're compiling a list of the 100 top bands, I think that they should be at least somewhat well-known. And I never said America was all that matters when it comes to music so please don't put words in my mouth.

Flavour of the weak? They've been around for a good six years, have released 3 albums and countless solo and joint-EPs. They've played the mainstage at Reading and Leeds, and are popular in Europe and Japan I believe.

They're still an EWB flavor of the week. I mean, a good majority of people have already asked who they are. I know this isn't an all-time list or anything, but if you're compiling a list of the 100 top bands, I think that they should be at least somewhat well-known. And I never said America was all that matters when it comes to music so please don't put words in my mouth.

But don't you think that on a 100 band countdown, even if it is something as trivial as EWB, it's easy to find 100 bands that the majority of people have heard of? Imagine if I had two other people from my city voting on here and we put some local band at number one on all of our lists? I know that's a bit of an exaggeration but we're talking a countdown of the top 100 bands, I could name another 100 bands more well-known than the Dears that would belong on the list. These guys belong on there over the Ramones? Outkast? Fucking Depeche Mode? That's what I mean when I say EWB Flavor of the Month; a handful of people getting a hard-on over one band.

Zero, the point is that some of this stuff is known outside the US. Get over the fact that there's actually a world outside your borders.

Oh get off your fucking high horse. It's a Top 100 bands list. If it wasn't, it would be called, "The Top 100 Underrated/Unknown Bands List." And in my world, or anyone else's, Depeche Mode ranks above some band that multiple posters have replied with "who?"

Zero, the point is that some of this stuff is known outside the US. Get over the fact that there's actually a world outside your borders.

Oh get off your fucking high horse. It's a Top 100 bands list. If it wasn't, it would be called, "The Top 100 Underrated/Unknown Bands List." And in my world, or anyone else's, Depeche Mode ranks above some band that multiple posters have replied with "who?"

Haven't we already had this argument before in the voting thread?

Which is exactly why I hate even keeping on about it. But I just hate when people talk to me like all I care about is what's in "my borders." I don't give a fuck what anyone listens to, but don't go throwing around stupid statements like that.

Top 100 doesn't mean they have to be well-known, either. Somebody has to think they're a good band, and that's it.

Exactly, which is why I don't see why anyone's getting bent out of shape when I call it a band an EWB Flavor of the Month. It's a band that a few people around here lare into at the moment and put them up at the top of their list. Happens every year, but when someone points it out, people get all pissy.

I may think Death Cab are supremely overrated (I loved The Photo Album and then everything else sounded blase afterwards, either because that was the best album they ever recorded or because that was the first Death Cab album I had ever heard. "A Movie Script Ending" is still a legitimately great song no matter what, though), but guh, compared to the Offspring they're fucking Led Zeppelin.

Now, The Ramones not making it in, THERE is an injustice.

I have to agree with Zero on the flavor of the month statement. No big deal really, had I voted, nothing that I would have listed would have made it anyway. My best chance would have been the Dead Kennedys but they probably didn't get much love, shame really.

Though I'm glad some of you slobs had the presence of mind to get Motorhead on this list. :P

This is the problem I have with Jook's breaking-up of the list. I don't mind if he breaks it up, but if he's going to do it in blocks on ten, the maximum length I'd be content to wait during updates is a day. We've exceeded a day now, meaning we'll more than likely have to wait for over ten days to see the finish, and that's just ridiculous. Break it up, fine, but if you have to keep us waiting, keep us waiting for a day and no more.

To me, Zero's argument doesn't make sense. You get a list of England's top bands, and there will be bands in the lower ranks that a marginal percentage of the popularity has heard of. It's the same here. If everybody voted for those who were placed from 100 - 91, they obviously wouldn't be placed from 100 - 91, they'd be in all of the top spots. This is a fair representation of EWB, and thus as the list goes on, more people will be satisfied with the bands listed and their positions.

Edited by Burninating Pesci