Football Manager 2007

Dan

Second season with Spurs (after signing Benayoun from West Ham) and we had a realistic start, winning every home game and losing every away for the first 12 games (including a great 2-0 victory over Liverpool on the opening day).

Unfortunately I've had a rocky run of a few bad results and have slipped back to midtable after getting up to sixth after a few away draws.

Luckily the board decided we'd be fighting bravely agaisnt relegation this year for some reason so my job's safe!

My aim is to get back into Europe after we lost on penalties to Valencia in the final last season and could only manage 8th in the league....I keep drawing Chelsea and Arsenal away in the cups too and have been conceeding last minute goals away from home....grrrr...

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Fortunately just beat the Gooners 2-1 at home to end the slump. I was winning 2-0 (Berbatov got both) until the 80th when they got a penalty to make me stress for the last ten plus four minutes of time added.

We'd lost 1-0 to Man U at home, 1-0 to Bolton away, beaten Charlton 1-0 at home, lost 2-1 away at Villa then 1-0 away at Wigan so glad to pick up THAT win on Boxing Day before a trip to Birmingham on the 28th and Liverpool on the 31st.....If we can beat Birmingham I'll be happy...

I could only draw 1-1 away against Birmingham....BUT beat Liverpool 3-2 away to complete a league double over them this season! Tasty! 7 points out of 9 over Christmas/new year....that'll do for me!

Edited by ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster

My game gets worse and worse. I'm still with Sheff Utd in the premiership (Third season) having just got them back up again. At the end of September, I was fourth. I'm at the end of January now. And I'm 20th. 5 points adrift and counting. My team simply cannot win. I made a load of signings in the window to try and turn things around, and despite some good players coming in, it's not turning things around. And this is a squad that has Giggs, Makalele and Pires unable to get a game. Well, Pires makes the od sub appearance, but he rarely makes the bench.

Any ideas how I can motivate these fuckwits back into performing. Everyone (except my newest loan signing) has poor or very poor morale. I even set up games with the reserves, youth team and a tour of Aruba (In which they won each game comfortably 4-0+) and still no luck sorting out their morale. If you take a team on a paid holiday to Aruba and they still aren't interested, what the hell else can you do?

My game gets worse and worse. I'm still with Sheff Utd in the premiership (Third season) having just got them back up again. At the end of September, I was fourth. I'm at the end of January now. And I'm 20th. 5 points adrift and counting. My team simply cannot win. I made a load of signings in the window to try and turn things around, and despite some good players coming in, it's not turning things around. And this is a squad that has Giggs, Makalele and Pires unable to get a game. Well, Pires makes the od sub appearance, but he rarely makes the bench.

Any ideas how I can motivate these fuckwits back into performing. Everyone (except my newest loan signing) has poor or very poor morale. I even set up games with the reserves, youth team and a tour of Aruba (In which they won each game comfortably 4-0+) and still no luck sorting out their morale. If you take a team on a paid holiday to Aruba and they still aren't interested, what the hell else can you do?

What tactics are you using and what are you telling your teams before the games?

I got to the point where I would say nothing to the team before the game, or even give a comment for the media on our chances in the upcoming match. No matter what, some people always got screwed up and played badly (I'm looking at you, Tommy Wright :shifty:). I would give half time and post-match talks though, depending on the situation.

The absolute best teamtalk I've found is "You only need one more goal to win this", which seems to make them all perform a hell of a lot better each time I used it. Unfortunately, as far as I can tell, it's only available to you when you're drawing in a cup game, so no use in the league. <_<

And as for horrendous streaks without being able to get a win, I had a 12 game one. My breakthrough win came, bizarrely, when I accidentally placed a midfielder (Jimmy Smith, AMRC) in one of the Striker positions without noticing. He never scored or had any part in the goals, but got a rating of 8 and we started winning...so I left him there. >_>

Edited by stokeriño

Tottenham's new hero - the Icelandic winger Emil Halfredsson! He's been in the squad in previous Footy Managers but on Handheld there's no reserves so he was put in the first squad with Jamie O'Hara and he's keeping Matty Etherington out of the team.

Also, how good is Harry Worley of Chelsea in the PC version? I got him in on loan to cover defensive injuries then bought him proper as he looks to be developing nicely...

Guest Ringley Whitford

What tactics are you using and what are you telling your teams before the games?

Tottenham's new hero - the Icelandic winger Emil Halfredsson! He's been in the squad in previous Footy Managers but on Handheld there's no reserves so he was put in the first squad with Jamie O'Hara and he's keeping Matty Etherington out of the team.

Also, how good is Harry Worley of Chelsea in the PC version? I got him in on loan to cover defensive injuries then bought him proper as he looks to be developing nicely...

I was using 4-4-2A but it stopped working, so I switched to a 5-3-2, which never took with my side so I moved on to 4-3-1-2 and still nothing. I even tried 4-5-1 for a while, but they aren't responding to any changes I make. Currently I'm using a 4-1-4-1 and it looked promising, I held Newcastle to just 1-0 and Liverpool to 2-0 and picked up a draw away at Reading. Then I got hammered in quick succession 4-0 (By Norwich), 5-1 (By Middlebrough) and 3-0 by Spurs.

I've had ot experiment with what I've been telling them before the games, but usually it's 'You can win this' and 'Do it for the fans'

Edited by Farmer Reil

I was using 4-4-2A but it stopped working, so I switched to a 5-3-2, which never took with my side so I moved on to 4-3-1-2 and still nothing. I even tried 4-5-1 for a while, but they aren't responding to any changes I make. Currently I'm using a 4-1-4-1 and it looked promising, I held Newcastle to just 1-0 and Liverpool to 2-0 and picked up a draw away at Reading. Then I got hammered in quick succession 4-0 (By Norwich), 5-1 (By Middlebrough) and 3-0 by Spurs.

I've had ot experiment with what I've been telling them before the games, but usually it's 'You can win this' and 'Do it for the fans'

I finishes fifth in my second season in the end which was nice. Chelsea won the league, Man U second, Liverpool third, Arsenal fourth....

Start of third season I just bought a Paraguayan striker Acuna who everyone in the squad seems to think is the man. The fans waited outside to cheer him on when he arrived...Better be worth it at £11m....

What do you do when two big signings are failing to score?

I've bought Tevez and Michael Owen for about £38m combined, and they have scored about 3 goals in the Premiership between them. Tevez has scored twice in 16 appearances, where as Owen has scored 1 in 8.

Lucky enough Darren Bent has been amazing, just like last season and he's clearly going to be my top goal scorer this season.

Yeah, and did I say I'm Reading with a fantastic new Arabian owner with plenty of money? :D

I'm so glad that FM2007 can play on Mac as well as PC, because I'm about to spend a week away from my desktop and PS2 in York, with only my girlfriend's Mac Powerbook to entertainment myself.

FM WILL SAVE CHRISTMAS~! >_>

What do you do when two big signings are failing to score?

I've bought Tevez and Michael Owen for about £38m combined, and they have scored about 3 goals in the Premiership between them. Tevez has scored twice in 16 appearances, where as Owen has scored 1 in 8.

Lucky enough Darren Bent has been amazing, just like last season and he's clearly going to be my top goal scorer this season.

Yeah, and did I say I'm Reading with a fantastic new Arabian owner with plenty of money? :D