Nevermind the Buzzcocks

IAceI

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amstell is the better host, but Lamarr's episodes were funnier. Take that for what you will.

The fact that the show is less funny now isn't really Amstell's fault, it's just the natural order of things. You can never have a comedy quiz show that doesn't get old. Except HIGNFY and Mock The Week, because their humour is based on current events, and current events obviously change. Whereas Buzzcocks is based on music, which while the bands and songs obviously change the general content of the show doesn't. So it gets old.

Plus, the guests Amstell has had to work with, compared to what Lamarr had, have been terrible by and large. The mere fact that Bill Oddie has been on Buzzcocks says it all.

I find it hilarious that as the series continues, someone takes one step further to call out Amstell. It started with just dirty looks every time he spoke to a panelist, and now has Dappy cutting him off mid-sentence to say he sounds like he is being sarcastic. If this continues someone is going to turn the tables and start verbally assaulting Amstell.

I also think the reason the quality of guest has gone down is because of Amstell and the generally direction of the show in these later series. It used to take music seriously, and just mock certain aspects of it while still treating the musicians on the show with respect. Amstell's Buzzcocks seems to be more concerned with insulting guests, nit-picking everything and trying to undermine the musicians. I think that is why now we have guests like Bill Oddie, and before you had Slash. Of course, that isn't Amstell's fault, but he is part of the self-destructing frame of the current show.

• 9 months later...

Watching Episode 1 of the new series now...fuck...the gargoyle from The Enemy is funny. :(

I will say, I'll take a guest host and Noel Fielding as a permanent captain over a gust captain and Amstell as host.

It's still weird to me that Jeremy from Teachers is now famous. :shifty:

Edited by YI

Is it me or has Rhod Gilbert aged dramatically all of a sudden? I was surprised how good he was, I wasn't expecting much, but I wouldn't mind seeing him as a regular host. Although he probably looks a bit too old to be credible for the role now. He's welsh accent seems to suit any barbs he makes at people though.

I still don't get the love of Noel Fielding. He might have been decent in other things but he doesn't make any jokes at all. He just dressed up weiredly, wears some makeup, talks quietly and doesn't seem to have a clue what's going on and that's meant to be funny? In a way he's a bit like Paul Metron on HIGNFY who isn't really fussed about the politics bit of the show, and is more sort of there to have fun now, but Paul makes jokes and generally attempts to be funny. Noel doesn't. I'm worried it's me, because everyone else seems to adore him, and that I'm just not getting it?>

Watched the 2nd one last night. Rhod Gilbert is an absolute HERO! And the age thing is purely because he's cut his hair and you can see he's got a massive receding hairline...I don't think he looked 'that old' though...you're just being silly. :shifty:

And Fielding, I like him, but he's been a bit disappointing as a regular. When he stood in for Bill he was awesome. The Mighty Boosh has went 'off' a bit recently with an over-reliance on the same jokes (Howard will just mention some 'obscure' brass and woodwind instruments and then Vince will dance around in a glittery costume saying something random and retarded), but the 3rd series was still watchable. But the fact Fielding's seemingly going to do a solo tour is fucking hideous news. It'll be terrible.

• 1 month later...

Has there ever been a more unfunny man than Mark Watson?

"I've got a little known fact about Pete Doherty. turns out he's also a musician."

Well done. I've only heard that a thousand times before. And two years after it was in Q MAGAZINE. Q MAGAZINE.

Imagine telling a joke after it was in Q. Dear lord.