Old MLS

Green Demon

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MLS approves "Beckham Rule"

This really is pretty big news for the MLS, this keeps in place the salary cap sorta, but it will allow teams to be able to go out and get the big name players if they so choose. This is be called the Beckham rule since there are a couple of teams that are looking to make a bid for Beckham when he becomes avalible and this new rule makes it possible for them to get the big name players. Hopefully teams put this to good use and go out and get some highly talented players to for one thing improve the league and hopefully get the league more popular.

The MLS is definitely a league on the rise, at long last. I was a huge fan back in the early days when my team (DC United) were the best of the best. I've casually followed it the last few years, but it's definitely improving by leaps and bounds. It'll never have the tradition of most leagues, but it can definitely put on some entertaining matches and have a deep league. Now if only we can create a promotion/relegation format with the rest of the American leagues.

The promotion/regalations format at the current moment wouldnt work to well, they would still need more teams for it to work that well and still I dont know if it would work as well in the US.

On another note it is sorta old news but the US team accepted an invitation to play in the Copa America tournament this summer. It will be nice to see the team play some competion tougher then they usually play in Confacaf, since the only time they usually play tougher teams are in the world cup.

• 4 weeks later...

US to Broadcast '08 European Championship

This may not have alot to do with the MLS but I still think that it is pretty cool. As far as I know this is the first time that the US is broadcasting the European Championship in a while and is defiantly the first time they are showing every game on one of the channels atleast. Hopefully they will countiue to show soccer that isnt just based in the US like they mostly do with the occasional Champion Cup match.

You know why they should have relegation?

So Montreal can move up :shifty:

I'd approve of relegation, because I think it forces teams to stay active and not just so lazy that they make money and stay in a rut (see Chicago Cubs).

What, so the leagues stay the same every season?

Yeah. There isn't a major sport in the US which deals with relegation and I think the MLS doing so would add something different and could possibly make the action more intense as teams could break if they don't do well. Of course, we'd have to set it up for a few years down the line just to make sure teams are given the benefit of the doubt for a few seasons.

MLS is getting pretty interesting with the youth developmental program and the 'Beckham' rule. Now, I just need to be able to actually watch the games.

• 1 month later...

ESPN.com

MADRID, Jan 15 (Reuters) - Brazilian striker Ronaldo is surplus to requirements at Real Madrid, club president Ramon Calderon said on Monday.

Coach Fabio Capello has already said David Beckham, who is leaving at the end of the season to join Los Angeles Galaxy, and Italian striker Antonio Cassano do not feature in his plans for the rest of this campaign.

'The situation with Ronaldo is different to that of David Beckham as he still has another year left after this one,' Calderon told radio station Onda Madrid.

'But he is going to be inactive because the coach has made it clear he doesn't count on him, and it would surely be better for the club and him if he went if there are offers. If not, he will stay with us.

'We have to find an exit that's good for him. I know sporting director Predrag Mijatovic has had conversations with some clubs, and that the player also has offers. But we'll have to wait and see whether it will be now or in June.'

Ronaldo has only started three league matches under Capello this season, scoring once, but appears to be another victim of last week's decision to blood youngsters in the side.

He missed Sunday's 1-0 win over Real Zaragoza with an injury.

Press reports have linked the Brazilian with moves to Italy, Saudi Arabia and the United States.

• 2 months later...

They looked alright, just out of shape and undisciplined. The former will almost certainly improve as the season progresses, while the other will be up to Johnston. Either way, it's probably a better than average expansion franchise.