Gaming Urban Legends

MalaCloudy Black

Keep 'em coming, these are interesting! Any Zelda ones?

Edited by Cloudy Is Niggaracci

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not necessarily an anti-gore stance but the FCC (won't let me be) or whoever it was with Liberman was coming down hard on video game violence

Just to clarify, the FCC has never been involved in anything video game related. They can only influence terrestrial radio and television. While there were congressional hearings about violent video games, I don't believe any laws were ever really passed, but MK coming to the home consoles is what resulted in what is now the ESRB. Of course, it should also be noted that the ESRB was a voluntary move on the gaming industry, not forced by the government.

I remember fishing on one of the islands where you can find the legendary birds, and catching some weird ass Pokemon that don't even exist.

Missingno. Which was on Cinnabar Island, not Seafoam Islands (where Articuno is). (¬_¬)

Pretty much any glitch in the early pokemon games would fuck up your game eventually.

The existance of Totaka's Song in Luigi's Mansion is becoming a bit of a myth.

Go here to see what I'm talking about (it's a long-running easter egg): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLMAgcGA8Dw. There's a second video.

Loads of people swear bloody murder that they heard the tune in Luigi's Mansion (including myself). But no one's ever recorded it. And I haven't heard it recently enough to be sure of it. It's still a great egg.

Of course, it should also be noted that the ESRB was a voluntary move on the gaming industry, not forced by the government.

Yeah, I remember arguing as a kid in Game years ago that those age ratings are purely advisory, and not enforced by law, but not getting anywhere with it >_>

As for the SNES gore code cheat, there was a write-up about it in an old Gamesmaster magazine...I don't know how accurate it was, but I seem to remember something about taping a penny to the side of the cartridge, because the older cartridges that were never released were slightly heavier...which doesn't even begin to make sense.

There's hundreds of FF7 ones...revive Aeris, play as Zack, yadda yadda yadda. They get far more ridiculous than that, too. In Year 7 or 8 me and a couple of friends invented a couple of FF7 "rumours" and tried to spread them online, I don't think we got anywhere.

The Tomb Raider nude code is a big one, everyone used to go on about that. It was a Gameshark code on one of the games, I remember reading, and it made her blonde at the same time as giving her ugly angular tits. It was a sad state of affairs when people wanting to see angular pixellated nudity that badly.

I love reading about the San Andreas ones, I traded in the game a while ago and haven't played it for awhile but was fun looking around before it was revealed to be completely false. I also remember the Sonic thing, but very briefly since I wasn't huge into games back then, I always tried to get to that level.

Not really "urban legend" status, but there were a lot of rumours about the Hideout in Hitman: Blood Money. It died down, then flared back up when the game developers started revealing the game's other easter eggs.

People assumed it would be a weapon stash, or a secret level, or Diana bound and gagged, or the bodies of 47's past targets, or another clone...imaginations ran wild.

Yes and no.

At a certain point of the map you could find a mountain where a beaten up old car would spawn at the top for no apparent reason, and roll down until it hits a tree or whatever. You can drive them, but they can never be repaired. They don't seem to do anything special, but there you go.