Recommend me books

GA!

Its so telling that my first post on this forum should be about books ^_^

I'm an adament sci-fi/fantasy reader. 600 books in 2 years, so many of them are so amazing, but these are the ones I'd most highly recommend.

'Wheel of Time' series - Robert Jordan

'View From The Mirror' and 'Well of Echoes' series - Ian Irvine

'Sword of Truth' series - Terry Goodkind

Anything by Greg Bear, he is an absolute sci-fi genious!!

The 'Belgeriad' and 'Mallorean' series by David Eddings I totally agree are worth a look

Honestly, if you want to get into reading and you're not sure what you might like of where to start go into an Oxfam/Charity books shop and buy the first rumpled book for a quid that catches you're eye. Thats where I started out a couple years ago when I wanted to get back into books.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of my personal favorites:

The Book of Ralph- It's probably one of the funniest books I have ever read. McNally is quickly becoming one of my favorite authors.

The Virgin Suicides- Worlds better than the movie, which didn't even touch the depth displayed in Eugenides debut novel.

The Catcher in the Rye- One of those essential readings. If you haven't already read it, you'll either love it or hate it. There doesn't usually seem to be a middle ground.

The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven- Alexie's prose is off the wall awesome and he's cynical as all hell.

Pastoralia- Definitely one of the most bizarre sets of short stories I have ever read. Saunders' prose is incredibely unique and he knows when to push the envelope.

Nice Big American Baby- Another set of short stories. Budnitz portrays the magical real in a way where it's hard to question it as a reader. It's a difficult thing to accomplish.

In the Lake of the Woods- I wish more commercial fiction was like this. O'Brien mixes politics and his own Vietnam experience in this one.

Slaughterhouse-Five- I don't think a war story and a sci-fi novel have ever been mixed together so well.

Alive- A great true story about the Andes survivors.

Okay, I'll stop now. Let me know if you read any of these (that goes out to anyone, for that matter). I like talking about these books. I've assigned some them in my book club and they generated good conversation.

His brother is probably one of those people that refers to the actions of his armies commander unit in the first person, quotes Imperial propaganda, and is one step away from thinking he's actually a Space Marine.

Pretty much got it in one. lol. When one's brother, who one once considered and idol and cool, suddenly spends their days in a festering black mess talking to their models and, as you say, refering to the actions of his armies' commander unit in first person and proceeds to dress up as a Space Marine for halloween, one becomes a little...disillusioned. :pinch: Well I shall have to give his books a look just in case. Don't like to miss out.

Oh, and I'm a girl. >_>

I should hope so, I had money on you being Stok's girlfriend <_<

I've read a few of them, they weren't bad. My favorite was one that had a bunch of short stories focusing on different members of the battallion, specifically the one focusing on the sniper. Did Abnett write the Inquisition trilogy(Xenos, Malleus, and Hereticus)? Those were pretty good, I thought. As was Faith and Fire.

How has your brother managed to ruin Warhammer for you? :@

His brother is probably one of those people that refers to the actions of his armies commander unit in the first person, quotes Imperial propaganda, and is one step away from thinking he's actually a Space Marine.

• 3 weeks later...

I want to get back into reading books again, but don't know where to start. So recommend me anything... As long as it isnt Stephen King (been there, done that) or anything with feminist themes naturally. :shifty:

Guest Titocoolace

Anything by Kurt Vonnegut or Donald E. Weslake (or his Richard Stark pen-name) are usually pretty good.

Vonnegut is all over the spectrum, so I'd recommend Bagombo Snuff Box, which is a collection of his short stories. Or just dive into the deep end with one of Breakfat of Champions, Cat's Cradle, or Slaughterhouse-Five.

Westlake is a crime writer. The stories under his name are mostly comedies, while the ones written under the Stark name are more dark and serious.

• 2 weeks later...

anything by will self, can't remember its name but it has a monkey smoking a fag on the front, the story is crazy. about a human who gets smashed one night and wakes up the next day as a monkey but the world is run by monkeys (ie monkeys / humans switch) but he still thinks he's human. funny as fuck!

plus anything by george orwell/peter suskind/anthony burgess/hunter s. thompson all of these are abit populist but thats what i like reading so their!

Apologies if there are any doubles here. Couldn't be arsed reading the thread.

The Black Company - Glen Cook

It - Stephen King

The Death of WCW

The War of the Flowers - Tad Williams

The Gunslinger - Stephen King

Bag of Bones - Stephen King

The Bourne Identity - Robert Ludlum