Recommend me books

GA!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mary Shelley's "Frankenstein", if you don't mind reading something nearly 200 years old. The english in it may turn some people away from it.

If old/modern english doesn't bother you, read some Edgar Allen Poe. Basically anything from him.

If you like The Wizard of Oz, read "Wicked".

Edited by Rashid

I'll throw in:

'The Belgariad' Series by David Eddings, starts with Pawn Of Prophecy

'A Child Called It' by David Pelzer, this one is quite disturbing, involves non-sexual child abuse. (I felt I had to put non-sexual, damn EWB)

"Hard-Boiled Wonderland And The End Of The World" by Haruki Murakami

"Ulysses" by James Joyce

"A Drink With Shane MacGowan"

"The Great Shark Hunt" by Hunter S. Thompson

"The Picture Of Dorian Gray" by Oscar Wilde

"The Hostage" by Brendan Behan

"Big Sur" by Jack Kerouac

"American Gods" by Neil Gaiman

Just as a handful of books I've read recently, that should serve you well, I reckon. I can't be bothered summing them all up, but you should be able to get a decent synopsis on Amazon or whatever. If not, I could probably provide one on request >_>

For some good adventure books, grab anything by Clive Cussler. He's got three separate series out, and they all have their great points. Don't be put off by the fact that his name was attached to the half-baked pile that was "Sahara" the movie.

Check out Jonathan Kellerman's "Alex Deleware" novels. He has an entire series, about 20 books, out about him. It's about a psychiatrist (Deleware) who is best friends with the only OUT gay detective in California (Milo Sturgis) and their solving crimes together. I haven't read one that I have disliked yet.

Check out Jonathan Kellerman's "Alex Deleware" novels. He has an entire series, about 20 books, out about him. It's about a psychiatrist (Deleware) who is best friends with the only OUT gay detective in California (Milo Sturgis) and their solving crimes together. I haven't read one that I have disliked yet.

Yeah, Kellerman is also pretty good, worth a look.

I suggested Hardboiled Wonderland And The End Of The World to Scummy and now he's recommending it to you.

That would suggest that it is, indeed, a great book.

Most things by Murakami are...I got two more for Christmas so shall enjoy reading my way through them...