The Mafia Discussion Thread

My favorite mafia to go back and read was Saw mafia. If memory serves, I was the only scum in the game - the way it was set up was that the serial killer was the only one, iirc - and I feel like that was some of my best play in mafia, like, ever.

Of course, everyone should go back and read all of Zan's games - so much effort/detail in the mechanics and roles!

• Like 4

While I enjoy re-reading most games,  there's something about some of the more experimental games that really makes them enjoyable to read. I honestly think part of it is just watching the frustration of everyone playing trying to figure out what exactly they're supposed to do, LOL.  The Duelists might be my favorite experimental game to read back, though I can imagine actually playing it would have had me wanting to read out my hair.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Noah said:

I occasionally re-read all my greatest triumphs, games I ran that were fun to run and classics from before my time/during my time that I didn't play in. That Scrubs mafia was so much fun to read. What was the name of that game where the town got possibly the most undeserved victory ever? Mushroom Kingdom I think, I have fun reading through that occasionally.

I think from memory I didn't enjoy that one. Although I thought my death was pretty well written into it.

I think I remember @Jimmy running a mafia once where I was a bag of cocaine or something. I remember getting super frustrated in that game but that was a pretty cool role.

haha what, really?

1 hour ago, Commander Sheepard said:

While I enjoy re-reading most games,  there's something about some of the more experimental games that really makes them enjoyable to read. I honestly think part of it is just watching the frustration of everyone playing trying to figure out what exactly they're supposed to do, LOL.  The Duelists might be my favorite experimental game to read back, though I can imagine actually playing it would have had me wanting to read out my hair.

It's why I used to enjoy running them so much. 

• Like 2

On 2/18/2017 at 07:42, DFF said:

I do enjoy occasionally re-reading West Wing Mafia: 

How @Sousa and I won that from the odds we had, I don't know. :D

This is probably my favorite Mafia victory ever because you and I scraped and clawed for every inch. It was a flawless manipulation of EWB's ridiculous love of metagaming/roleclaiming. Frankly, that's the game where that sort of play should've stopped because it perfectly illustrated how much it doesn't work.

• Like 2

• Admin

There are some very fun memories of Mafia on EWB. Duelists and LOL were probably more fun for me as I was on the right side of things. I think my favourite is still C-MIL's Wrestlemania Mafia. I don't think @Meacon has forgiven me to this day! And Devil's Rejects was great fun too. 

• Like 1

Metagaming has a role to play, it just shouldn't be the first, foremost be-all and end-all.

Credit to MPH (:o) for the West Wing game - he gave scum a cover character from the main cast, and we used it as best we could. More games should be like that - leave out at least one major role to allow for safeclaims etc.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Benji said:

To each their own, but Mafia is one of the few games where I find metagaming incredibly boring. People get all worked up in it and bicker about it rather than just having some fun.

I'm not going to lie, my eyes were glazing over for 90% of my time in the recent You Pick because the metagaming was not just happening around a wacky random game but was so dull. "We need to figure out who Donald Trump is!" That so, because Donald Trump is not even in the game.

• Like 4

I don't think metagaming is itself a bad thing in Mafia, when it's used appropriately. It's when it gets used as a first line of enquiry rather than a last resort that it goes badly.

• Like 3