The Mafia Discussion Thread

I'm trying to think of a way to stop lurkers (or more to the point encourage lynches to get enough votes to go through) for my game when it runs. Ideas I've thought of so far:

• 3 strikes and you're out: Don't vote in 3 day phases and you're auto-killed.
  • Your vote is on yourself by default rather than "no lynch".
  • No lynch limit, just a deadline, whoever has the most votes at that point is lynched. (in the event of a tie either the mayor decides or everyone that's tied is lynched).
  • Alternative voting (but that probably won't eliminate the problem and just make things more confusing).
  • Only 50%+1 of the votes that have been placed would be needed.

Any of those likely to be succesful, you reckon?

Also, as an aside to the alternative voting suggestion, someone needs to run AV mafia, that'd be fun/a nightmare. :shifty:

I'm trying to think of a way to stop lurkers (or more to the point encourage lynches to get enough votes to go through) for my game when it runs. Ideas I've thought of so far:

• Your vote is on yourself by default rather than "no lynch".

Works VERY well matt. Buddy does that in his game. The best part is it helps a lurker get rid of himself.

Also gives mafia an unfair advantage in speedlynching.

Imagine you're final 3. Even if you're obvscum (ugh, at that term), if you're online in time to vote before, you win.

I've never seen you run a successful game without "quirks", Matt. Try doing that before you go reinventing the wheel.

Well, you could have it where it only happens for the first 3 turns or so of the game. Regardless, Ive seen it in action and the first thing poeple do is come on to vote to get it off themselves.

It was also paired with a "you cant unvote only changevote" rule.

While yours is an example that happens in one or two games, lurkers happen in every game. Exceptions shouldnt break the rule for whats become rampant in the three games currently running.

I still think it divulges too much information about the set-up to be truly balanced, especially the lylo revelation part.

If anything, I'd modify it with a deadline where anyone not voting past a certain point is made a self-voter.

The way you guys are suggesting is basically guilty until proven innocent and, quite frankly, lurking, or at least non-voting, can be an underappreciated scum tactic.

Also gives mafia an unfair advantage in speedlynching.

Imagine you're final 3. Even if you're obvscum (ugh, at that term), if you're online in time to vote before, you win.

I've never seen you run a successful game without "quirks", Matt. Try doing that before you go reinventing the wheel.

I've run 2 games (Kingmaker and Metallica), both of which were relatively successful :/ I also ran the mafia tournament which with the exception of a dethy game that got majorly confusing was successful until I disappeared :shifty:

Split lurks, shows up for 5 minutes, goes to a music festival, has 1/2 the posts of the day one lynch and now has a free run to the endgame.

<_<

• Like 1