The 2007 Major League Baseball Thread

Vendetta

• Replies 720
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Justin Verlander is the fucking man. The guy is so young, yet so good. I just wish the Tigers could get the bullpen going since the rest of the team has played well thus far. The Tigers really have a nice young pitching squad with a lot of prospects in AA, and AAA on top of the regular roster.

That's the unpredictability of a no-hitter or a perfect game. You can go almost two full seasons without having one then within 4 months (Of actual season time: September, April, May and June) you can get three no-hitters and a few near no hitters (Schillings recent no hit bid was taken into the 9th inning with 2 outs).

So Joe Girardi interviewed for the Orioles job today. Hopefully he gets the job, he's one of the few people I think who could pull this team out of their losing mindset.

A loca news station today had a poll who O's fans wanted to be the new manager. Rick Dempsey and Davey Johnson were the top 2. For some reason they didn't put Cal Ripken up there, he'd have gotten like 95% of the vote had he been listed. God bless our casual Oriole fans.

Edited by damshow

Guest Anti-Climatic

I'll be very interested in seeing the Red Sox take on the Padres in San Diego the next few nights. Dice-K takes on Greg Maddux in an interesting match-up tonight, but I think I give the Sox the nod because Dice-K pitches well against NL opponents and the Red Sox will be patient enough with Maddux's stuff.

Wakefield versus Young in game two is a scary thing. If Wakefield can give the Sox six innings of three runs or less, the Sox will be in it. Hopefully the Sox manage to get Young throwing a lot of pitches early.

Beckett versus Peavy in game three, probably the NL Cy Young Award winner versus a top three candidate for the AL Cy Young, in a pitcher's park. I would love to see a pitcher's duel here.

I think the Red Sox take two here, but it could swing either way. I would not be shocked to see this match-up being talked about in October.

Pretty upset Girardi turned us around. Our biggest problem lately has been the fact that we hire the most incompetent managers. We get rid of a good manager (Hargrove) and bring in one of the worst managers in the history of baseball to manage a team that in reality could've fought well into September with all the improvements made. Instead the clubhouse falls apart and we now need to rebuild again after Sam Perlozzo just sat there and did nothing to better the mess Maz made. Now it goes without saying nobody wants to work for our front office, but McPhail hopefully will help change that. I guess now we're going to try and bring Dusty Baker to town.

Kenny Rogers made his return from the disabled list on Friday night. He looked sharp, pitching six scoreless innings, and striking out five batters. The Tigers bats also continued to drive in runs, giving the Gambler some insurance to work with, and the bullpen came in to wrap things up, shutting the Braves out.

It's good to see that Kenny is looking like his old self in such quick fashion. It only solidifies an already excellent pitching rotation.

I'm inclined to agree, especially with a potential MVP candidate in Ordonez. His numbers are fucking sick right now, and he hasn't shown any signs of slowing down. Gary Sheffield has found his touch after a rough April, and the usual suspects such as Polanco, Guillen, and Pudge are playing very well. Plus, Curtis Granderson is playing with much more consistency than last year, and in my opinion could be a potential breakout star next year.

If only we could get Zumaya back though.

Edit - And off topic, I've been meaning to say that the girl in your sig is pretty damn cute. A buddy of mine is a fan of theirs.

Edited by VerbalPuke

Rod Beck is dead. :(

From Yahoo news:

PHOENIX (TICKER) -- Former major league relief pitcher Rod Beck died Saturday at his home in northeast Phoenix, according to the Arizona Republic website.

Beck was 38.

The cause of death is unknown. Police are investigating because Beck was alone at the time of his death, but no foul play is expected.

The righthander was a relief pitcher for the San Francisco Giants (1991-97), Chicago Cubs (1998-99), Boston Red Sox (1999-2001) and San Diego Padres (2003-2004).

In 13 seasons, he compiled a 38-45 record and a 3.30 ERA with 286 saves.

In 2004, Beck dealt with personal problems during spring training and struggled on the mound before being released by San Diego in August.

Beck's best season was in 1993 when he recorded 48 saves, including a record 24 straight for the Giants.

• 2 weeks later...