The 2007 Major League Baseball Thread

Vendetta

• Replies 720
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After that awful losing streak and with a ton of injuries to important players like Roy Halladay and BJ Ryan, the Blue Jays managed to sweep the Orioles with AJ Burnett pitching a complete game with only one run and three hits against him.

Edited by desiredtoe

After that awful losing streak and with a ton of injuries to important players like Roy Halladay and BJ Ryan, the Blue Jays managed to sweep the Orioles with AJ Burnett pitching a complete game with only one run and three hits against him.

To be fair though, it was the Orioles. And I'm a biased Orioles fan who tells everyone before the season starts "We're gonna be better than you think!"

To be fair though, it was the Orioles. And I'm a biased Orioles fan who tells everyone before the season starts "We're gonna be better than you think!"

Thats going a bit far he prove himself last year that he has the potential to be a really good pitcher he is just going through a bit of a sophomore slump right now and if anything he will get sometime in AAA to try and get his game back once Westbrook comes back. I know it isnt entirely the same but Carmona pitched well when he came up at the end of the 05 season and then he completely bombed last year out of the bullpen and now he is playing like one of the best pitchers in baseball, Sowers just needs some more time and he will be ok. It is hard to be unhappy anyways since we have actually been playing good baseball at the beginning of the year for once and we havent even had the team fire at all cylinders yet with various hitter slumping at times throughout the season so far, an along with that we have tons of depth in everything other then the bullpen and the bullpen is looking good so far, needless to say I am happy with how the Indians are playing of course not saying that you aren't.

Thats going a bit far he prove himself last year that he has the potential to be a really good pitcher he is just going through a bit of a sophomore slump right now and if anything he will get sometime in AAA to try and get his game back once Westbrook comes back. I know it isnt entirely the same but Carmona pitched well when he came up at the end of the 05 season and then he completely bombed last year out of the bullpen and now he is playing like one of the best pitchers in baseball, Sowers just needs some more time and he will be ok. It is hard to be unhappy anyways since we have actually been playing good baseball at the beginning of the year for once and we havent even had the team fire at all cylinders yet with various hitter slumping at times throughout the season so far, an along with that we have tons of depth in everything other then the bullpen and the bullpen is looking good so far, needless to say I am happy with how the Indians are playing of course not saying that you aren't.

Josh Hancock's father is an asshole. He's suing the bar that Josh was drinking at the night he was killed for continuing to serve him alcohol when it was clear he was sloshed, and that's understandable. But if I heard right, he's also suing the tow truck company and the driver of the stalled car that Josh hit. Uh, yeah. Good luck with that, cocksucker. I'm damn sure the people that Hancock's vehicle struck when he was driving intoxicated, talking on a cellphone, and not wearing a seatbelt are at fault.

Also another big week coming up for the Indians with a 3 game series against the Red Sox and then a 4 game against the Tigers again. We have been playing like one of the best teams in baseball lately and this week we can prove wheather or not we deserve to be.

Guest lgrsox

Well, giving my grades to the Red Sox thus far would have to go something like this:

Offense

Julio Lugo, SS - D-

Brought in for his offense, and it just hasn't been there. Batting .225.

Kevin Youkilis, 1B - A

He's been just awesome at first with no errors and is leading the team batting .353.

David Ortiz, DH - A-

With little-to-no support with Manny and Drew behind him thus far, Papi is still over .300 with nine homeruns.

Manny Ramirez, LF - C

Starting to come around lately, but he was around the Mendoza line a lot of the season thus far.

J.D. Drew, RF - D-

The only reason he doesn't get an F is because his OBP is still .353 despite having a .234 average.

Mike Lowell, 3B - B+

His offense has been stellar, but his defense hasn't been Lowell-like.

Jason Varitek, C - B

The aging Captain is off to a very respectable .275/.370/.435 start.

Coco Crisp, CF - C-

Has made some great players in the field, but batting .245 might be his ticket out this year.

Dustin Pedroia, 2B - B

The rookie is batting a nice .279 and has only stuck out eight times in 111 AB's.

Alex Cora, IF - B

The epitome of an utility-guy, Cora continues to help this team win everytime he plays.

Eric Hinske, UTIL - C-

Won the Red Sox a game a week or so ago, but hasn't been great otherwise.

Wily Mo Pena, OF - C+

Takes a lot of heat for not reaching potential, but his bat hasn't been as bad as some think.

Doug Mirabelli, C -

Bad offensively, but does his job behind the plate for Tim Wakefield.

Pitching

Curt Schilling - C+

Has struggled as of late, but is still at a decent 3.94 ERA.

Josh Beckett - A

The best pitcher in the AL before his stint on the DL, should come back and do fine.

Daisuke Matsuzaka - B

Has been decent considering the move from Japan to the AL. Looks like the talent we thought he was.

Tim Wakefield - B

He has stuggled a bit lately, but his 5-5 record is more to do with run support.

Julian Tavarez - B-

Has done a fine job as our fifth starter, should be a great addition to the bullpen when Lester returns.

Manny Delcarmen - TBA

Was just called up and has only pitcher one scoreless inning.

Brendon Donnelly - B-

Pitching just fine with a sub-four ERA over sixteen innings.

Javier Lopez - B-

The lefty has done just fine over nine innings, but needs to cut down on the walks.

Joel Pinero - C-

With an ERA over five, Joel leads active Sox relievers in that category.

J.C. Romero - B+

2.35? Yeah, that's J.C.'s ERA. Surprised as I am?

Kyle Snyder - B+

This guy has been amazing thus far over sixteen innings with a 1.65 ERA.

Hideki Okajima - A+

24 K's, 24.2 IP. 1.09 ERA. 0.81 WHIP. .217 OBA. Welcome to America.

Jonathan Papelbon - A

Hasn't been used a ton lately, but still is Papelbon-esque at 1.47 ERA and 12-for-13 in save chances.

Team Grade: A

How could it not be? They have the best record in baseball and it hasn't been a fluke. They are playing well right now without some key players not even working to potential. They have Lester waiting to come back, which will give even more to an already good pitching staff. Manny and Drew seem to be turning around, which will make the whole lineup better. Not to mention, they have distanced themselves from the struggling AL East. It'll be interesting to see if we can continue to do well against the AL Central, starting tonight against Cleveland.

Hey hey, more Sox fans on the board. Awesome.

I'm somewhat surprised with Tavarez performance this season. Before, it's just expected that he was gonna cough up games. (See: yesterday) However, at least he's been doing some solid outings before he gives up the customary four runs. Before, we couldn't even count on that happening.

I think Wily Mo Pena needs more starting time, showcase truly what he is and give him time to become a better player. He's arguably better than Crisp, at least doing better than Drew so far this season. (Drew is still a waste of money IMO).

Alex Cora is a major surprise this year as well. I'm surprised he's doing so well, never before did we see him clutch or hitting well. Good fielder too.

Kyle Snyder ... that kid is good. And Papelbon is God.

I'm somewhat surprised with Tavarez performance this season. Before, it's just expected that he was gonna cough up games. (See: yesterday) However, at least he's been doing some solid outings before he gives up the customary four runs. Before, we couldn't even count on that happening.