The 2007 Major League Baseball Thread

Vendetta

• Replies 720
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I remember correctly, the Cardinals/players helped last time this happened and I wouldn't expect anything less. I know I'm biased, but I really think the Cardinals and St Louis are the best team/city combo in the MLB.

I'm actually suprised, he wanted a the best possible chance to win another ring right? Why not just sign with the Sox, end your career the same place you started it and most importantly, make me happy. I'm pissed now :angry:

So a team with a $195 million payroll can just go out and throw a guy a contract more lucrative than the D-Rays spend in a year without problem? And yet the CBA negotiations went by without mention of a salary cap this year. Oh but don't worry, we can easily deal with the eroding competition and eventually unsustainable markets in 2009. Who knows, maybe by then you'll need a few less votes to ratify the agreement.

No, they spend to be as competitive as possible and still have a chance of HAVING a profit. And for cities that DON'T have a lucrative network TV deal in place, or the comfort of being MLB's most recognized brand, or the biggest market in the league, it's understandably hard impossible to keep up. But hey, there's nothing wrong with that, right? I suppose when the league collapses on the weight of its own inequality in a couple decades, the Yankees and Red Sox can have great seasons... playing each other 162 times. Now THAT's how you build a division rivalry.

Success fills ballparks. If the owners want money, it would be better for them to try and build a successful team, one that at least can try and get to the playoffs every couple of years. The low salaries of teams like Florida and Tampa are more out of neccesity then anything else, they cant afford to put a better team out their.

Eh, owners have the money, they just maximize profits. Steinbrenner does not.

QFT

Nobody understands that. Most owners are incredibly greedy, but Steinbrenner is a real fan. He's willing to spend money on his team to have a good season. Everyone else just thinks the Yankees make so much more because they're in New York. Though the Yankees probably make more money than most teams, all the teams do make an incredible amount of money. It's just that the owners keep it for themselves, instead of reinvesting in their teams.

This is part of it. But the parity between the Yankees, the large markets, and then the small markets is absurd. Teams like Tampa Bay, even if they sold out every game, wouldn't draw in close to the amount of money in a year that the Yankees do. Yankees merchandise is sold in most stores around the entire fucking globe. Steinbrenner does want to win, but not more than most owners. It's just he has next to no finanical concerns with the money brought in from Yankees merchandise alone.

Eh, owners have the money, they just maximize profits. Steinbrenner does not.

QFT

Nobody understands that. Most owners are incredibly greedy, but Steinbrenner is a real fan. He's willing to spend money on his team to have a good season. Everyone else just thinks the Yankees make so much more because they're in New York. Though the Yankees probably make more money than most teams, all the teams do make an incredible amount of money. It's just that the owners keep it for themselves, instead of reinvesting in their teams.