The 2007 Major League Baseball Thread

Vendetta

This is completely irrelevant to the argument. You already acknowledged that most teams cannot keep pace with the Yanks, and therefore are disadvantaged in putting together teams to compete. It's not just the Yanks either, it's small markets vs. large markets. So if Tampa can never hope to compete for a playoff spot barring some kind of miracle, how much of a fanbase do you expect them to build? Or KC? Or Florida? Or Pittsburgh? How about being a middle market franchise in the AL East with the two biggest markets, Boston and New York? Predictability doesn't inspire excitement. Constant defeat stifles support. And giving teams like the seven major league franchises with a payroll of over 100 million dollars a head start towards the playoffs is BAD for baseball. A salary cap is needed, and they chose to ignore that problem at the CBA negotiations last year.

• Replies 720
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Meh, I just said other owners have the money to do so but chose to run it like a business. The Yankees market themselves very well. I think the revenue sharing they do is plenty and a salary cap is not needed. Only thing that is needed is for general mangers not to fold to absurd asking prices by the players, outside of that, I don't agree with a salary cap. Parity created by it is BS.

Meh, I just said other owners have the money to do so but chose to run it like a business. The Yankees market themselves very well. I think the revenue sharing they do is plenty and a salary cap is not needed. Only thing that is needed is for general mangers not to fold to absurd asking prices by the players, outside of that, I don't agree with a salary cap. Parity created by it is BS.

Well the agents run up the price more than "large market teams". However, the "small market teams" being ran by multi-multi-millionaires don't want to spend that much because it will limit profits, instead of winning. AOL/TW would be an example, they literally said 2 years ago they won with 65 million so they were going to cut to 60. Unlike when Turner was there and they had a healthy payroll to keep everyone around and together.

As you said, no reason to continue the argument. I say no to a salary cap, one day it may happen (as with a playoff system in college football). You say yes to one. Who cares? Seriously...

Is that the largest single season salary in baseball history by chance?
Edited by ACCBiggz

How about being a middle market franchise in the AL East with the two biggest markets, Boston and New York?

Baltimore says hello. Spend about $90M and still really really suck.

I do agree, both New York teams, the Cubs, and the Red Sox thrown around too much money. Then again, blame Scott Boras for a lot of this.

How about being a middle market franchise in the AL East with the two biggest markets, Boston and New York?

Baltimore says hello. Spend about $90M and still really really suck.

We have to overpay for our players, look at this offseason. We spent a ridiculous amount of money on some above-average (at best) relievers. We wanted to be assured we'd get them. The same goes for a lot of contracts this offseason, teams that can't freely sign any free agent have to overpay for the ones that actually become available. Of course, we also have the problem of idiotic management from Flanagan and Duquette. Let's spend more money on raiding the foreign markets for talented young players I say.

Edited by damshow

Igawa yeah, but Dice K's still doing pretty well. He's had some growing pains, yeah, but if you didn't expect any, then you don't know what you're talking about.

And I'm sure Igawa will be fine in the end, especially since the Yankees rotation is a mess at this point.

Here's a schedule. The Giants schedule, to the All-Star Break. It's very likely Bonds will hit his 756th home run sometime during this schedule.

When? Who knows.

May 10-13: @ Colorado

May 15-17: @ Houston

May 18-20: @ Oakland

May 21-23: Houston

May 25-27: Colorado

May 29-31: @ NY Mets

June 1-4: @ Philly

June 5-7: @ Arizona

June 8-10: Oakland

June 11-13: Toronto

June 15-17: @ Boston

June 18-20: @ Milwaukee

June 22-24: NY Yankees

June 25-27: San Diego

June 29-July 1: Arizona

July 3-5: @ Cincinatti

July 6-8: @ St. Louis

If Bonds doesn't have it by the Boston series, or in the Boston series, he's getting it for sure by the Yankees series, which is in S.F.

Imagine if Bonds jacks 756 off Roger Clemens.

But Josh Beckett is a staff ace, you shouldn't expect much less from him. I get the point, but it's not the same thing considering Beckett's 7-0 with a 2.51 ERA so that doesn't really prove anything in relation to Dice-K 'cause 3 runs doesn't usually cut it.

I don't think Dice-K's doing too bad. 4-2 with a 4.80 ERA. It's his first season, you have to expect some growing pains. He's going to get better as he adjusts more to the league.