The 2007 Major League Baseball Thread

Vendetta

Apparently through last night's game, the Jays have lost a total of 378 man games to injuries. Over 56 games, that means the 6.75 injured players per game. Overbay is just another addition to the pile, although I suppose I'll accept it for the trade off of having Halladay back. Zaun should be back this week too, and I don't mind Matt Stairs at first if he keeps playing the way he has of late. I'll tell you this, it feels good to be in second again. :P

• Replies 720
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently through last night's game, the Jays have lost a total of 378 man games to injuries. Over 56 games, that means the 6.75 injured players per game. Overbay is just another addition to the pile, although I suppose I'll accept it for the trade off of having Halladay back. Zaun should be back this week too, and I don't mind Matt Stairs at first if he keeps playing the way he has of late. I'll tell you this, it feels good to be in second again. :P

Who is going to play first? I don't see them sticking Frank Thomas out there.

You're probably gonna get Matt Stairs.

Ouch.

Why jk? I think they will if they can get some pitching, because they certainly have enough good young position players and while Kazmir is good, he can't start every game for them. They're a team on the rise finally. I see them as last year's Brewers, actually, where they have the young guys up, get some experience and hope that the next year they're ready to take the world by storm, except they happen to be the in the NL East, where it's usually quite difficult to get past the big two.

Edited by Captain Cuntbag

Tampa Bay doesn't have the market to support building a winning ball club. They essentially have to draft them all in the same draft, develop them at the same rate, have them peak at the same time, and then trade them all away and start over.

Then, the Marlins did a similar feat a few years back.

Yeah, but they, like the Marlins, wouldn't have to trade everyone away. Their owner refused to pay some of their contracts, he didn't have to axe everyone under the sun. Saying their market is what causes them to not be able to offer contracts is just a bs excuse and is false. In fact, spending the money to keep a couple of the players, not all as some you should let go like AJ and such, will help build your fan base where you are competing yearly and devoloping loyal fans and not starting over from scratch. It's like having a business, doing well one week then changing your business to something else entirely. You lose all your customers and start from the beginning where as if you just put more into your business and keep those fans it'll grow slowly.

Yeah, but they, like the Marlins, wouldn't have to trade everyone away. Their owner refused to pay some of their contracts, he didn't have to axe everyone under the sun. Saying their market is what causes them to not be able to offer contracts is just a bs excuse and is false. In fact, spending the money to keep a couple of the players, not all as some you should let go like AJ and such, will help build your fan base where you are competing yearly and devoloping loyal fans and not starting over from scratch. It's like having a business, doing well one week then changing your business to something else entirely. You lose all your customers and start from the beginning where as if you just put more into your business and keep those fans it'll grow slowly.

Yeah, but that's not a guarantee. If I invested millions of dollars in a team, I'd want to be guaranteed I wouldn't lose everything. Walking that ever so thin line between building a competitor and financial ruin is hard. Most owners don't even tread the waters with it. I wouldn't, I'd like to see any well-minded businessman who would really.

Well, the Devil Rays hopes have gotten bigger now that they drafted David Price.

Why exactly? Like most draft picks it'll be 2-3 years before they get a sniff of the major leagues and success isn't a sure thing. The MLB draft is probably the most useless draft. If anything it's the best place for trade bait if you are a potential contender to trade for a sure thing.