What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

Sons of Anarchy Season One - 9/10

Absolutely phenomenal show and one I'm glad I picked up after forgetting to watch a number of episodes when they were originally on. Perfect timing to watch it as I can get right into season two which just started a couple of weeks ago. I always enjoy shows with a tight ensemble cast and this is one that really does it well.

• Like 1

What is Avatar? Is it based on some manga/anime or something? All these 'fads' like Naruto and Twilight completely pass me by until the become massive on the internet... and yet still I know no-one that actually likes it.

Anyway...

I watched I Am Legend again last night. Great film. Considering it's Will Smith alone in NYC for most of the film, he still has a lot of lines, as if he's just keeping talking to not go completely insane. I can't imagine how fucked up it would be to be in the biggest city in the world, and yet completely alone (except for your dog), and then having to be inside by dark, then having those awful screeching sounds all night long to keep you company. Then you lose the one the f=thing that's keeping you moderately sane, your dog.

I liked the way how there is very little sound in the terms of background score or music throughout. Take for example, the first time he confronts the mutants when the dog runs into the dark building chasing a deer. There is no sound apart from that emitted by Smith in the darkness. I think it adds a lot more. 8.5/10

What is Avatar? Is it based on some manga/anime or something? All these 'fads' like Naruto and Twilight completely pass me by until the become massive on the internet... and yet still I know no-one that actually likes it.

While there is an Avatar anime and that's being made into a movie by M. Night Shyamalan but it's titled The Last Airbender.

The movie he's referring to though is James Cameron's new movie which was filmed 2 years ago but they've been working with some new technology to make the effects.

Trailer

Anyway...

I watched I Am Legend again last night. Great film. Considering it's Will Smith alone in NYC for most of the film, he still has a lot of lines, as if he's just keeping talking to not go completely insane. I can't imagine how fucked up it would be to be in the biggest city in the world, and yet completely alone (except for your dog), and then having to be inside by dark, then having those awful screeching sounds all night long to keep you company. Then you lose the one the f=thing that's keeping you moderately sane, your dog.

I liked the way how there is very little sound in the terms of background score or music throughout. Take for example, the first time he confronts the mutants when the dog runs into the dark building chasing a deer. There is no sound apart from that emitted by Smith in the darkness. I think it adds a lot more. 8.5/10

I'd hardly call Naruto a 'fad' when it's been around since 1999 and still going quite strongly. :P

Into The Wild - 9/10

It's instantly become one of my favourite films. A plain and simple beautiful film. Quite a sad ending that's for sure, but they did it to perfection. Plus as always, Kristen Stewart in any movie means it's automatically brilliant, so this film could never lose really.

• Like 1

Jackie Brown - 8.5/10

I finally got around to seeing the only Tarentino film I hadn't seen and I wish I had earlier because it was really quite good. It wasn't what I was expecting and it really felt different from his other films but it was a good ride. I kept wanting to see what was going to happen next and all the characters blended together nicely. I hope that whatever film he does next goes back to this type of film, a more modern setting with a creative plot. As good as Kill Bill, Death Proof, and Inglourious Basterds were, they were genre flicks which is great but I think Quentin is best suited with stuff like his earlier work.

Trick 'R Treat- 10/10

I've been waiting for this movie to come out since I first heard about it back in 2006. It was completed in 2007, but didn't get a release date until this year. Warner Brothers will forever regret not releasing this film into theaters out of fear of competition from Saw. It was everything I wanted and more, and its a damn shame Sam won't reach the Halloween icon status he truly deserves. It's going to be required Halloween viewing for me for the rest of my days.

District 9 8/10

It was....different. I felt, I guess, uncomfortable since the moment the main actor started to turn into a Prawn and they were doing experiments on him. The movie was very original and I liked that it wasn't in the US for once (aliens somehow always end up in big US cities), and the "graphics" looked amazing. I was a bit disappointed by the ending though, the whole movie was about him but the Prawns ended up getting what they wanted and he didn't. It was a good movie but not as awesome as I thought. Instead of an impressive action movie it was more a thriller/drama, which was fine.

Trick 'R Treat- 10/10

I've been waiting for this movie to come out since I first heard about it back in 2006. It was completed in 2007, but didn't get a release date until this year. Warner Brothers will forever regret not releasing this film into theaters out of fear of competition from Saw. It was everything I wanted and more, and its a damn shame Sam won't reach the Halloween icon status he truly deserves. It's going to be required Halloween viewing for me for the rest of my days.

Man, I thought that film was pretty poor. The intro alone killed it off from ever being anything special, just didn't end up rating that at all and I'm surprised how highly rated it seems to be by some. Not even the brilliance of Anna Paquin could save that.

G.I Joe - 6.5/10

Not as bad as I expected in all honesty. I was never going to be a huge fan of this, but it had some pretty fun moments and was certainly enjoyable for most parts.

Red Dragon - 8/10

Quite good film here. I'm a huge Edward Norton fan so anything he's in is a big draw for me. I really like how they did Francins Dolarhyde. Ralph Fiennes did a great job in the role.

Seven - 9/10

I had seen the movie before, sort of. Half paying attention with it edited for television. I had stumbled upon the comic books a little while ago but just never got around to seeing the film. Really good stuff all the way through and the whole ending sequence is fantastic.

I'm not sure if I already gave my thoughts on this or not... Fringe Season 1 - 10/10

Absolutely awesome. One of the best shows on TV by far. I watched it when it was on but trailed off about 10 episodes in. I picked up the Blu Ray version of it which is loaded with extra features. The final 8-9 episodes are incredibly well done. Check it out if you haven't.