What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

Guest John Cena

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

8/10. This was a really good movie. I'd heard from friends that it was good and I wasn't disappointed. Jim Carey and Kate Winslet both did a great job

0767808673.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Spice World - 1/10 or (1/2*) Welcome to my bottom 10, precious. Simon and Kim Fuller’s opus of terribility becomes the 2nd film of theirs to be put on the bottom 10 (From Justin To Kelly is #2). The cause of its badness results from atrocious acting from the five leads and good actors (Alan Cumming, George Wendt, Mark McKinney) not being able to save the one-dimensional characters they play. And, for the record, Victoria (Posh Spice) was always the hottest Spice Girl.

B00005JNBQ.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Napoleon Dynamite - ***1/2

Unlike many comedies that satisfy and then dissipitate from memory within hours, there are several bits in this movie that continue to stick with me. Among them some of the dialogue between Napoleon and Pedro, as well as an interesting training session featuring Diedrich Backer, and a Jamiroquai fueled dance sequence. The Napoleon Dynamite character is a one note joke played very well by Jon Heder, but the fresh view of high school suburban life is enough to make this very enjoyable. Interesting comparison; Haylie Duff appears in this film, while her sister Hilary appeared in Cinderella Story. Suddenly Haylie's decidedly less public career doesn't seem so disappointing in comparison. Anyway, thumbs up to a film that's entertaining if a bit flawed.

The Rundown - 7/10

Good action mixed in with comedy...nothing like a monkey humping the Rock to get a laugh or two. Gave me something to do on a Sunday afternoon when The Panthers are getting killed.

Serving Sara - 4.5/10

Meh with a side of blah. Very few laughs, but it was better than the last Matthew Perry movie I watched which was the Whole Nine Yards. As much as I love Friends, none of them really have a successful movie career (except maybe Aniston and possibly Cox with Scream - but those were mainly supporting roles). Another failed comedy, but if I guess it works if there is nothing really better on (which was the case with why I watched it).

Edited by J-Dubb

988278.jpg

Team America-World Police-8.5/10

This was by far one of the craziest movies I have seen all year. As Boulder mentionted there were quite a few belly-bursters in this film and it had a lot of satarical moments in the film. I'd definatley watch this again and buy it on DVD for it's sheer bellybusters.

B00005JM2O.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Kiki's Delivery Service - 8/10 or (***) It has everything a good animated film needs: a good story, beautiful animation, good dialogue, and a good sense of drama. Cheers to Mr. Hayao Miyazaki for this gem.

Now, films I've seen in the past that I don't really want to review again:

B0000897DY.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Cheats - 4.5/10 or (*1/2)

6305364648.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

True Lies - 7.5/10 or (***) May I recommend you to watch AMC sometime for a view of this film?

B00005JNJ7.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Team America: World Police - ***

It is a rare occasion that a film so low brow could also be so politically relevant, but Trey Parker's Team America is one of those rare occasions. According to writers Parker and Matt Stone (That's My Bush, South Park), their research for this film consisted of watching CNN, and mocking whichever celebrity that presented his or herself to be an "expert" on the political climate of America. As per usual, Alec Baldwin was one of the perennial favorites, but the inclusion of Sean Penn angered the "hollywood bad boy", who accused the boys of encouraging people to be "irresponsible". Whether presenting a even handed hatchet job on people in general or using ones celebrity to advance political beliefs despite a lack of qualification (Sean Penn, for instance, has a degree in Speech and Auto Mechanics) is more "irresponsible" is one argument, but you can see that the intention of this film is not to influence the vote, but to entertain an politically ambiguous audience. The humour is (as I said) ridiculously low brow, and a lot of the humour is more based on effective vulgarity, but it's very entertaining on a purely salacious level. Not near the best movie made this year, but one of the most enjoyable. Thumbs up.

<center>28m.jpg</center>

Collateral

I enjoyed this film because it was based around very few characters throughout the film, and had moments of suspense. I also like the plots of this type of film - It's similar to Phone Booth. It had a bizarre (weak) ending, but I thought the film was quite good overall.

6.5/10

*** 1/4

I'm just gonna do the movies I've seen this past week.

Amelie - 9/10 - This is one of my new favorite movies. I liked how everything was realistic enough to kind of relate to but surreal enough not to take it too seriously.

Supersize Me - 7.5/10 - Very entertaining/educating documentary. Really turned me off from fast food (even if only for awhile :P), so I guess it did what it was made for?

Suburbia - 1/10 - Can't really tell you about this movie because I only saw the first 15 minutes. I couldn't watch the rest of it because it sucked so much.

Attack the Gas Station- 8/10. If you need to test how well a culture's film output is (in this case, Korea), you can't look at their action movie output, but rather how well they handle the cheesy teen movie-style fare. This movie passes that test: It's everything movies like Dude, Where's my Car WISH they could be like, and for that, it's a high recommendation for my "Please Yevon let one of my friends have a DVD burner and a spare DVD-R" list.

Saved! - 5.5/10

I was expecting more from this movie and was very disappointed. Very sappy and cliched. The only plus about this movie was Mandy Moore as she did a very good job.

The Manchurian Candidate (Remake) - 7/10

Denzel was good as always, I've never seen the original so I can't compare the two, but this one was pretty good.

Being John Malkovich - 8/10

This is one weird movie...and as absurd and out there as it is, for some reason I really liked it.

To Come Soon: Man On Fire and I finally get to watch Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

White Chicks: 6/10

Usually I'm very extreme in my views of film, putting them in 1-3 ratings or 8-10 ratings, because I have such strong opinions on my films. This film however has entered one of those ranges where you're not sure what to do with it. Sometimes it feels quite witty and amusing and you just can't help but laugh, other times you realise it's another white girl movie with black guys and a lot of fart jokes (I love toilet humour, but this went that bit too over-the-top for a large cinema release).

Donnie Darko: 9.5/10

Like I said... usually strong... BUT... even if I wasn't this would get such a high rating, this film is PHENOMENAL, the DVD Extras are really worth the money. Truly a film that (eventually) earned it's reputation.