What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

I am going through one of my phases where I watch a shit ton of everything. I have watched through 30 Rock again, and have to say that it stands up to repeat viewing. "Here comes the Funcooker!"

On the movie front I watched Adventureland last night and thoroughly enjoyed it, probably 8/10, I thought it mixed everything really well, I loved a lot of the cast already (Martin Starr and Bill Hader are brilliant), and i thought the mix of in your face comedy from the likes of Hader and Wiig, mixed with the subtlety of the drama involved and the fact that the realtionships weren't straight forward and stereotypical was grwat, and I thought the build was brilliant towards the end, and while that was predictable, it was so in a good way.

I have also just watched Yes Man, again, it was a good film, probably a 7/10, nothing too offensive or mind blowing about the film, but the positive message of the film is well told, and it shows you how a man like that being open to possibility is really a great thing. Carrey is fine in the main role, but the need of him to do stupid faces and voices sometimes detract from the dramatic edge fo the film, but again its always gonna happen with Carrey. Rhys Darby is brilliant though, playing the Murray-esque role form Flight of the Conchords to perfection and raising some nice laughs from me.

Rage - 1/10

Awful, awful piece of shit. I stopped watching after half hour. I love me some arty films, but this? Atrocious and hopeless. Don't bother renting this.

Broken Embraces - 8/10

Good movie. It was a solid film noir mixed with an Almodovar movie (lots of color, strong female characters, homages to classic film). I thoroughly enjoyed it, but it was a bit long.

Dead Snow - 4/10

Nazi zombie film that sounds way better than it actually is. Uninspired, took itself way too seriously and NOT cheesy enough. The visual elements were very strong, some of the shots very well done, but other than that nothing to see her. Also - the subtitles were SO small I could barely read them. Who thought that was a good idea?!

Mary and Max - 9/10

Such a delightful movie. Weird and quirky claymation film about a little girl from Australia that becomes penpals with a fat Jewish New York man with aspergers syndrome. The animation is great, the film is funny and dramatic at the same time and you legitimately relate to the characters. Great movie.

The September Issue - 8.5/10

Documentary about the making of Vogue Magazine, focusing on Anna Wintour (the supposed inspiration for the Devil Wear's Prada). Watch if you like fashion or documentaries, don't watch if you don't like either. I happen to like both and enjoyed the film. Thought it was a great look at the absurdity, self-importance and vanity of fashion, while also showing it's potential for beauty and inspiration. You'll never want Wintour as a boss.

KICK ASS - 8/10. It was a great waste of an hour and I enjoyed watching a film about teenagers where it didn't feel patronising about people around this age. I loved Mark Strong and man, Nick Cage brought it for this one. He was at his absolute best here, I loved Big Daddy. But still, while I did really like it, for me, it wasn't a game changer or anything. Awesome way to spend 2 hours. And holy shit, his girlfriend in the film is fucking fit as.

KICK ASS - 8/10. It was a great waste of an hour and I enjoyed watching a film about teenagers where it didn't feel patronising about people around this age. I loved Mark Strong and man, Nick Cage brought it for this one. He was at his absolute best here, I loved Big Daddy. But still, while I did really like it, for me, it wasn't a game changer or anything. Awesome way to spend 2 hours. And holy shit, his girlfriend in the film is fucking fit as.

I felt a mixed sense of victory and jealousy when he's fucking her in the back alley.

The Number 23 - 8/10

Weird in parts but overall, really enjoyed it. Carey was awesome in this role if you ask me, great stuff.

Cop Out - 7/10

Not a bad film at all, but it wasn't really anything great. It was just a really good film with some good comedy that had me laughing for the majority of the movie.

Stuff I've seen recently... Not much:

Kick-Ass - Disappointed, just because I thought it was going to score a home run. I'm not familiar with the comic book, but to me, this didn't explore the normal kid as a superhero enough. It went a bit Hancock-y, "Yeah, we're bored of the original concept. Let's become a standard superhero film." 7/10

Dr Strangelove - Still a black comedy masterclass. Looks remarkably great in high-definition. 9/10

Clash of the Titans (2010) - I've seen dead hedgehogs on the road that are more 3D than this. 6/10

Meteor Apocalypse - Cheesy SyFy Channel film. Entertaining enough. 6/10

Regarding Kick-Ass, the comic sort of tapers off into that by the end. What with

Big Daddy being murdered, then Hit Girl and Kick-Ass having a ridiculously violent, bloody tango with Genovese and his thugs.

Also, a lot of the first few issues is just Kick-Ass getting the shit kicked out of him trying to be a hero. I don't know how well that translates to film/would translate ¬_¬

EDIT: Augh I just made the mistake of reading a synopsis of the film (FILM SPOILERS)

Kick-Ass appears on a jetpack fitted with gatling guns?! Big Daddy has a "tender moment" with Hit Girl before dying?! Is it even mentioned in the film that Big Daddy made up everything about his life and his wife's life, all because he wanted his daughter to lead an exciting life? The way this synopsis reads, it sounds like I'll enjoy the first half of the film and hate the second half. :(

Cloudy,

I think there's almost a hint that he made it all up. It definitely looks like the story he tells is true, but I think there's a nod to the comic in the sense that - I can't really explain it. But I felt there was just a hint that it could be make believe.

Edited by Split Second

I spent the night between Friday and Saturday at the local cinema at the Ghost of Cinemare movie festival. I watched the following films:

Kick-Ass (USA, 2010)

Quite simply the best movie I've ever seen. Fucking awesome all around, entertaining and funny as shit, the action was top-notch... Just perfect. 10/10

Valhalla Rising (Denmark, 2009)

Very, very strange. I don't think I understood this film at all. Lots of very nice visuals, and the soundscape was awesome, but as for the story and such... I have no idea. I really can't rate this. N/A

Grotesque (Japan, 2009)

Disgusting, but not quite as disgusting as I was led to believe. Just a cavalcade of pointless torture. 4/10

Machine Girl (Japan, 2008)

Not as great as I expected, but still pretty good. Had some laugh-out-loud moments. 6/10

The Last Starship To Venus (Finland, 2010)

Hilariously bad, but it was to be expected, this was a 25 minute scifi film made on a shoestring budget. At least there were boobs! 2/10

The Joysticks (USA, 1983)

So, so, so stupid. But some of the characters were fun, and this one had some nice boobage, too. 3/10

All in all, not a bad way to spend an evening/night/morning. Went to the cinema at half past seven, got home at six in the morning. :)

Edited by Jayzon

Kick-Ass, seven out of ten. First two thirds are very fun and then it turns into a straight superhero movie.

Also, Cloudy;

To be fair, the "tender moment" consists of Big Daddy explaining to Hit-Girl that the reason why the bullets he shot her with didn't hurt as much as the ones Red Mist shot her with was because he used relatively low velocity bullets. So. Tender is sort of a relative term.

• 2 weeks later...

Crank 2 - 3/5

First one was charming (yup, despite the style of the movie there was a naive charm to it), funny, kooky and a tremendous romp.

The second movie improved in one way - Jason Statham was set free to use a (albeit slightly stylised) English accent while in the first it was some poor attempt at an American edge to his voice.

The only other truly groovy thing was the chat show with the overly "Hollywood-imagined" spoof English accents from standard English folk.

There were also a few laughs and ridiculous moments.

However the more violence/more swearing/more nudity stuff just didn't do it for me and so it drops down a notch cos of that. The ending was also stupidos.