What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

eternal_sunshine_of_the_spotless_mind_ver4.jpg

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind - 8/10

I don't know, the ending was nice. I guess they're meant to be together if they go through the erasing thing, and they still meet, right? Anyways, it took atleast an hour for me to process the flashbacks of the relationship when Jim Carey's character was sleeping. I'm not complaining though. I love Kate Winslet's character. I fucking love her hair, too.

I liked Mark Ruffalo's character, he reminded me of Cedric Bixler of The Mars Volta. Heh. I despised Elijah Wood's character though. I guess that's what they intended, huh? I just thought his character was a bastard for the way he got to Kate's character.

B00005JN4U.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

The Incredibles - 8.5/10 or (***1/2) Well, after two months of release, I FINALLY saw The Incredibles...and it is just as good as I thought it would be. Writer/director Brad Bird helms up a flick that works in many different elements (a satire on the all too known genre of the superhero movie, a homage to 60s superheros, a one-dimensional action flick, and, of course, a great family flick). As a hilarious yet loving flick with AMAZING visual effects, The Incredibles is just what its name suggests...incredible.

Oh, and the Mallrats reference ruled. :D

B00005JNPB.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Elektra - ** (4/10)

When a big budget action movie is dumped in January hell, it's a decent premonition that they have absolutely nothing in the way of expectations for its success. Either that or the film's studio has ludicrously naive hopes for January as a box office draw. While the latter could be true for the Rob Bowman directed Elektra, 20th Century Fox would have been absolutely justified in believing the former. This film is a muddled up emotionless action picture that goes around in circles without managing to progress at any point throughout. Now this is an unofficial spin-off from the 2003 Ben Affleck hit Daredevil (back when he was still making hits), but aside from a few seconds of archived footage, the original film is not even referenced. Instead, we see an Elektra who is supposed to be more reminiscent of the comic book heroin, but in the end fails to tribute either the screen or print version of the character. While Jennifer Garner tries her best to make the poor writing work, she falls sort because she has virtually nothing to work with. Zakk Penn and company have managed to actually make a Garner character seem condescending, dull and quite frankly, a bit of a bitch. Now the action sequences are intense if not exactly enthralling, and they're perhaps the most enjoyable part of the movie (apart from perhaps the salacious camera shots of Garner clad in Elektra's costume which of course only panders to heterosexual males and likeminded females), but they're too few and far between. In the end, this is just another dull, disappointing piece that fails to create identifiable characters like Matt Murdoch or even Elektra herself in the Daredevil film. Thumbs down.

Oh, and what the fuck happened to the Affleck cameo?

B0006419IM.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story - 7/10

Solid comedy, great cast, lots of laughs. I guess you could complain about a lack of character development, but c'mon. Who cares? This movie is exactly what it's intended to be, goofy. A great rental.

B0006A9FKA.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Shaun of the Dead - 9.5/10

:o This is the movie I have been waiting for! A horror movie with a fantastic plot, great humor, and good scares. I don't know if you can actually classify this one into a specific genre, it could be called a horror movie, a love story, a comedy, or like the front of the box says "a romantic comedy with zombies." Whatever you wanna call it, this is hands down the funniest movie I've watched in years and ranks right up there in my top ten favorite movies of all time. There's really not much I can think of that could have made this movie any better, hence the high rating. It's damn near perfect and exceeded all my expectations, this movie kicks all amounts of ass.

B000094FFA.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Blue Collar Comedy Tour - 6.5/10 or (**1/2) Dropped from 8 because Jeff Foxwrothy sucks, it isn't hardly as good as I remember, and ALL of the comic's routines are funnier on their own separate specials (Ron White's "Tater Salad" standup special still has me in stitches). Still, because of White and Engvall, it's not too bad.

nationaltreasure.jpg

National Treasure - 8/10

Damn this was a good movie. My friend called up earlier and asked me if I wanted to go to the cinema with him and another one of my mates. I ended up going but had no clue what we were seeing. They told me this film and I still had no clue what the movie was about. I went in expecting something average and came out so damn happy. I loved the entire movie, yet another great film I've seen of over the last few weeks.

In Good Company: 7.5/10: A Surprisingly sweet, funny movie that feels real, because it does happen everyday. The Cast were all fantastic. They definently know how to spell Chemistry :P .

Edited by Laice_

Army of Darkness

Ash is back in the completly absurd and ridiculus third instalment of the Evil Dead series. A wee bit far-fetched and just plain weird in a few spots, but other then that one of the funniest films ever.

8.5 / 10

Edited by The Hardcore Canuck

6305744564.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

B. Monkey - 6.5/10 or (**1/2) As an indie film fan, to some extent, I can appreciate a well-directed film when I see one. With radiant and beautiful shots, B. Monkey revels in its smart direction. It also shines because of the film's star Asia Argento, who clearly shows that she can act (something XXX didn't exactly show) and can also entrance you with her radiant beauty. Admittedly, the other talents do lost in the shuffle as Asia wows the audience (of men), but B. Monkey is a solid flick, no matter how sucky it sounds.

P.S. I'm waiting for the next movie that ends its love sequence with a different man in the bed in the place of the woman. :shifty:

B00007AJF5.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Barb Wire - 2/10 or (1/2*) Well, in two back to back years, three of the worst comic adaptations in history came to the cineplex. This truely terrible piece of crap starring Pamela Anderson suffers majorly by the horrid performance the busty model/actress shows in the film. It also tries to hark back to the past, as it is quite clear the style of the story is mimicing Casablanca. Unfortunately, the lack of any real talent or fluid dialogue or smart plot averts the homage, feeling more like a cheap ripoff. After that, all that remains is the one-dimesional elements of action and effects. Unfortunately, the fights are bland and the effects fit the same bill. All in all, Barb Wire is just a sad abomination that truly shows how bad the comic adaptation can get.

B0001ATLZY.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

The Cat In The Hat - 3/10 or (*) I hate Hollywood. Only could they butcher a concept so simple as a Cat in the Hat movie. Firstly, the film faces an overabundance of characters that have NOTHING TO DO WITH THE ORIGINAL STORY. Two, none of these new chacarters are written well at all (Kelly Preston's entire purpose seems to just be standing while her cleavage pops out, even though she's supposed to be playing one of the most important characters in the entire movie). Three, the stupid plot additions (including stuff about military school, Japanese parliament, and erections; a.k.a. crap that doesn't belong here) brings the story's trust down a huge notch. Three, Mike Myers harks back to Coffee Talk and his other impressions to play the cat and unfortunately, he goes way too far out in terms of creating stupidity. Four, the acting is weak on nearly every account, as the only performance even done well is Dakota Fanning's performance, and her's is even pretty forumlatic. Unfortunately, that's four too many things wrong, and may not even be worth my time to plunge this grade to a 3/10.