What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

The Revenant is really, really good.. but Tom Hardy stole the show. Amazing performance. Leo shouldn't get an Oscar for being second best in the film, I mean, he still will. Hopefully Hardy lands best supporting actor.

On 1/16/2016 at 17:53, Benji said:

Big Hero 6 is okay, but I can't help but focus on both how unfaithful it is to the source, and the ridiculous amount of whitewashing in it. It may as well just have been made as an original property instead.

I have an issue with this film.

Ending/plot spoilers:

The bad guy. His daughter is alive, trapped. IF HE DOESN'T DO ALL THE BAD STUFF, SHE STAYS THERE. Forever. Unfound, trapped. The fact that he steals the bots, kills the brother, and causes disaster is what saves his daughter. I mean.. it's hard to be mad at the guy.

21 minutes ago, Summers said:

The Revenant is really, really good.. but Tom Hardy stole the show. Amazing performance. Leo shouldn't get an Oscar for being second best in the film, I mean, he still will. Hopefully Hardy lands best supporting actor.

I have an issue with this film.

Ending/plot spoilers:

Hidden Content

Tom Hardy kills it in everything I've seen him in. He should be the next Bond villain... opposite Idris Elba as bond, the first cockney bond :w00t:

• Like 1

Just now, Jericode said:

Elba vs Hardy in a Bond film is something I never knew I wanted to see until now.

I want Big Dris as Bond because he is from the ends. Plus he is well known on both sides of the pond, so that helps. If he was Bond, I would like him to be part Luther, Part Stringer Bell and part Mumbles. I can't think of any other person that could do Bond at the moment. Maybe Fassbender, but I reckon he'd be better as a villain.

Hardy should definitely be a Bond baddy.

• Like 1

saw two movies last night.  Sisters was great, but then again I could watch Tina Fey and Amy Pohler in pretty much anything.

The new Star Wars, however?  not as entertaining for me.  like, it was cool to see the text crawl again and everything but I guess I just wasn't enough of a star wars fan for me to really care about it

A War is one of the best films I've seen this year.

The Assassin was absolutely beautiful, but I want to re-watch it already because some of what was intended was a little lost on me.

The Big Short was a lot better than I expected it to be, and actually had some interesting things to say, and was done in an interesting way. 

Watched The Danish Girl this week and my internal debate between Alicia Vikadner and Domhnall Gleeson for 2015 Film Acting MVP got tougher. Gleeson had four good performances in four good-to-great movies, but Vikander had three really good performances in one good movie (Ex Machina, also one of the good Gleeson ones) and then two well-intentioned misfires (Man from UNCLE and this). I mostly felt exhausted by the end of it. I think Eddie Redmayne is probably the biggest weak link of a pretty weak Best Actor field, now that I've seen all the performances; I think what he's doing here is harder than, say, Bryan Cranston in Trumbo or especially Matt Damon in The Martian, but I dunno. There was just so much of him by himself or him opposite Vikander and only her, and the only times the movie really came alive was when you got the reactions of outsiders, both good (Ben Whishaw's character) and totally fucking horrifying (those. fucking. doctors.).

It does win the award for Most Unintentionally Hilarious Cut to a Dog's Reaction During a Serious Scene, though.  And I hope Vikander wins Best Supporting Actress because even if it's a little category fraud-y, it's not nearly as bad as Rooney Mara being there.

This weekend I'm watching Room, which will round out this month of catching most of the Oscar nominees that I missed. Can't imagine that's gonna include 45 Years, which I don't know if it's playing anywhere in Seattle, let alone a theater I can go to for free.

• Like 1

Like, if there's any way for you to watch 45 Years, you should totally do it, it's vying with Carol for my favourite film of the year, and Charlotte Rampling is nothing short of phenomenal. 

Completely agree with your thoughts on The Danish Girl, especially about Redmayne, and everything about Vikander, except I'm still rooting for Rooney, even if both of them shouldn't be in there. I think a lot of the problems with Redmayne's performance come from Tom Hooper's direction, which feels slightly all over the place, and his performance becomes far too melodramatic in a film which seemed to want a sense of realism. 

7 hours ago, GoGo Yubari said:

It does win the award for Most Unintentionally Hilarious Cut to a Dog's Reaction During a Serious Scene, though.  And I hope Vikander wins Best Supporting Actress because even if it's a little category fraud-y, it's not nearly as bad as Rooney Mara being there.

My new favorite award

• Like 2

Jupiter Ascending is one of those movies where they put most of the good parts in the trailer and the film itself is actually garbage. Its easily the worst theatrically released film of 2015 that I saw. Just glad I didn't actually see it in a theater, or I'd have walked out. Most of the actors must've either been contractually obligated, owed someone a favor or really needed the money.

I was tempted to turn it off after 20 minutes but my annoying completist attitude made me see it out. It looks pretty as per every Wachowski film, but had no depth whatsoever and dialogue so confusing it was tricky to work out if it made sense or not. And Eddie Redmaynes shit Voldemort voice.

I really liked Room. Not sure if it's going to stick with me in a long, lasting way but it's really good. Almost wish I hadn't seen the trailer because it meant that the first act was compelling but dragged a bit because I knew where it was going. Jacob Tremblay was so fucking good, so I'm annoyed that he's not in either acting category you could put him in when there are performances in both (Eddie Redmayne, Christian Bale) that get torched by what this like seven or eight-year-old kid did.

This means that for at the very least the first time in a long while, I have seen every movie up for Best Picture. Whew.