What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

Sorry to Bother You. Great film. If you liked Atlanta then you will like this film. Dark, absurd and a great cast.

On 16/01/2019 at 17:18, Benjamin said:

Bad Times at the El Royale was a ton of fun. Overly long, though, but it had all the stuff that makes a popcorn movie like this enjoyable to watch that you don't really notice the pacing.

I felt the same way. Another film with a great cast.

Widows was awesome. Maybe not my favorite Steve McQueen film, but an incredible cinematic watch for me. A movie with something to say in everything it does.

Well worth the, what, 6 years or something since 12 Years a Slave? Loved it, hope everyone here watches it.

On 21/01/2019 at 23:16, K said:

Fyre Festival on Netflix lmao

I just got around to watching this last night and I have to say, I think I prefer Fyre Fraud on Hulu. It feels like way too much of the first half of the Fyre doc on Netflix is about ass-covering, specifically the Jerry Media guys going "woah hold on we all had reservations about it from the start". Fyre Fraud feels like it had a lot more critical voices, and while I don't love the idea of Billy McFarland getting paid to be interviewed, it had that McFarland interview that I think puts it just over the top for me. 

On 27/01/2019 at 22:36, Cloudo Miedo said:

I just got around to watching this last night and I have to say, I think I prefer Fyre Fraud on Hulu. It feels like way too much of the first half of the Fyre doc on Netflix is about ass-covering, specifically the Jerry Media guys going "woah hold on we all had reservations about it from the start". Fyre Fraud feels like it had a lot more critical voices, and while I don't love the idea of Billy McFarland getting paid to be interviewed, it had that McFarland interview that I think puts it just over the top for me. 

Fyre is produced by Jerry Media, who were the marketing and social media consulting team for the Fyre Festival. They made a documentary about their own shitshow saying how it was completely not their fault. That definitely has me not liking it as much as Fyre Fraud

Although, I really think Fyre Fraud really went overboard with the amount of people telling tall tales themselves, from the bartender at the island who suddenly became Ja Rule and McFarland's best friend, to the weird venture capitalist dude who had a vendetta for some reason against the festival (and really, really wants to go to the Victoria Secret show) and the influencers. I dislike Fyre Fraud as well, though, because like Cloudy said they paid McFarland who should definitely not be getting more money AND attention, which he's gotten through both docs. It probably means he'll actually get out and some way or form be in a better position to start another scam. They also obviously paid the influencers, Billy's girlfriend and who knows who else to be in their documentary. Kinda' sucks that the locals in the Bahamas are the ones who are definitely going to be worse off because of this, and no one is going to rectify that for them.

• Like 1

Venture capital guy (Calvin something? Wells? Walls?) I kind of understand though, he thought something seemed off from the get-go and was trying to alert people to the fraudulent nature of the festival. That much I get.

Also, like I said in the forum that shall not be named, Fyre Fraud has Jia Tolentino who was one of my favorite writers on Jezebel and now is one of my favorite writers on the New Yorker. Jia showing up scored that doc major brownie points for me, it was a pleasant surprise.

Calvin Wells shows up on both docs. 

And I know that Fyre was made by the Jerry Media guys, but I preferred it to Fyre Fraud because they were able to provide so much more insight as to everything that went wrong in more detail than Fyre Fraud did. Obviously, Fyre Fraud didn't have as much access to first hand accounts outside of Billy, but if I'm watching a documentary about the Fyre Festival I want to know as much about the Fyre Festival ordeal as possible. I think Fyre was able to cover that more. However, to their credit, Fyre Fraud made up for lack of festival details with more background on Billy and really leveraged paying him to get us more details on things like Magnises. 

In all, I think watching both of them really gives you the fullest picture and makes for an awesome double-doc.

• Like 3

On 04/02/2019 at 15:18, Ms. Canadian Destroyer said:

BlacKkKlansman was very good. I just don't get why Adam Driver's character wouldn't also talk to them on the phone. 

That's the whole point though, isn't it? It wasn't Adam Driver's story. It was John David Washington's. It's about how, in the face of racism, he masterminded the operation and infiltrated the KKK. Otherwise, it's a completely different movie, I'd say. 

3 hours ago, Jimmy said:

That's the whole point though, isn't it? It wasn't Adam Driver's story. It was John David Washington's. It's about how, in the face of racism, he masterminded the operation and infiltrated the KKK. Otherwise, it's a completely different movie, I'd say. 

Oh, I totally get that. The movie doesn't work if that's not the plot. I mean, it's a true story after all. 

But still, you would think the whole thing might be easier if Adam Driver's character also talked on the phone.