MMA News and Discussion Thread

Cage Rage 25 Results

1 John Phillips defeats Jake Bostwick: TKO (Strikes)

2 John Hathaway deafeats Marvin Arnold: TKO (Strikes)

3 Giorgio Andrews defeats Ryan Shamrock TKO (Doctor Stoppage - Broken Hand)

4 Aisling Daly defeats Aysen Berik: TKO (Strikes)

5 Henrique Santana defeats Michael Johnson: Decision (Unanimous)

6 Ivan Serati defeats Roman Webber TKO (Strikes)

7 Mustapha al Turk defeats Gary Turner Submission (Strikes)

8 Tom Watson defeats Pierre Guillet TKO (Strikes)

9 Rob Broughton defeats Neil Grove Decision (Majority)

10 Masakazu Imanari defeats Jean Silva Submission (Heel Hook)

11 Robert "Buzz" Berry defeats Ken Shamrock KO

Apparently Shamrock tried to stand and not take Berry to the ground at all, and pretty much got KTFO'd. Since Kimbo/Shamrock is off, who should Kimbo face at the first Elite:XC CBS event? I'd love to see somebody like Mark Hunt or Rizzo step up and fight him. Knowing Elite:XC, they're probably throw Ricco or Cabbage at him.

EDIT: Event will air on Showtime after SHOWTIME Boxing if anybody is interested.

Edited by The Punisher

So, I've got a question based on a conversation I was having with Biggzay. Should Fedor-Couture end up getting signed for UFC, it's arguably the most anticipated fight ever. I can agree with that, but I don't think it'll break buyrate records just because neither man is big amongst casual fans. Not to mention the lackluster performances of other Pride stars lately, I'm sure a casual fan would be more hesitant to buy into the hype machine for Fedor.

So yea, I'm bored and I'm curious what some of you think.

Couture is not big amongst casual fans? It was him coming out of retirement to face Tim Sylvia that gave that a bigger buyrate than it would have otherwise.

Apparently that Melendez fight was never booked. No opponent is named yet for him, though.

EliteXC/Strikeforce: Shamrock vs. Cung Le - March 29, 2008

* Champ Frank Shamrock vs. Cung Le (for Strikeforce world middleweight title)

* Jake Shields vs. Drew Fickett (for first-ever EliteXC welterweight title)

* Champ Gilbert Melendez vs. TBA (for Strikeforce world lightweight title)

* Nick Diaz vs. Jae Suk Lim

* Joey Villasenor vs. Evangelista Santos

* Paul Buentello vs. TBA

* Jorge Santiago vs. TBA

* Paul Daley vs. TBA

I like Drew Fickett, but he's one of those guys I will always see as the eternal underdog. He's mega talented, I hope he beats Shields so the era were Drew Fickett can truly be appreciated will begin. That was kind of exaggerated. I'd just like to see Drew pick up a big win for once.

Also, Gilbert needs to drop his obligation to defend his title and get his ass to Japan ASAP. Like get on the next plane. Because I'm selfish like that.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

Add Roan Carneiro vs. Ryo Chonan to UFC 85 in London. (Y)

Chuck Liddell vs. Rashad Evans

Fabricio Werdum vs. Brandon Vera

Martin Kampmann vs. Jorge Rivera

Ryo Chonan vs. Roan Carneiro

Rumored

Marcus Davis vs. Mike Swick

Also, Ed Herman vs. Demian Maia for UFC 83. Maia's name doesn't mean much, but he's one of the best grapplers in the World and undefeated in MMA, defeated Ryan Jensen at UFC 77. A lot of BJJ enthusiasts have huge hopes for this guy. Hasn't gotten any hype yet. Beating Herman would help.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

I like the Swick vs. Davis match up. If Swick keeps this standing, no matter what the reach advantage is, I can see Davis catching him and putting him down.

Also, on Kampmann vs. Rivera. I assume Okami is getting the next title shot and say he gets beat, I wouldn't be too surprised if Kampmann starts getting consideration for the number one contender after that. That's how thin the division is thanks to Anderson's dominance. Rich Franklin said even he doesn't want another rematch with Anderson because it's played out (or so he says). No sign of Lindland, Rich isn't going to get another shot at Anderson, too early for Marquardt to get another shot, Almeida could string together a few wins a earn a shot, but really, after Okami, a win for Kampmann should put him there with Cote for the next contender. Not that either guy is a serious threat to Silva. Both guys fit perfectly into the mold of fighters Anderson Silva destroys inside of 5 minutes. Marquardt should follow soon, if keeps winning. Then if Anderson Silva is still standing and Lindland isn't there... I'm stumped, unless somebody I'm missing puts strings together a few impressive wins.

That's just random thoughts from my head.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

Heh, Cro Cop goes can hunting at the DREAM event. He's fighting Pancrase fighter Tatsuya Mizuno. This is instead of Yoshihiro Nakao, which at least would have been a notable match up. Unless Mizuno hits the ring with a 5 iron (pun intended), this should be a glorified heavy bag workout for Mirko. Yay. Not really. Ah, Mirko, you're home, buddy. Back to Japanese glory!

Also, Gilbert Melendez will fight Gabe Lemley. Gilbert, get on that plane now. The Lightweight Grand Prix is waiting with open arms. Please.

Interesting replacement for Rashad Evans against Thiago Silva. Antonio Mendes, who's posted an impressive 9-0 record fighting in 2007 fighting in Europe. He hasn't fought outside of Europe or Brazil, so no big names on his resume, but everybody's got to start somewhere.

All of that news courtesy of Sherdog.

Finally, Zuffa has launched mmafacts.com, a site to promote MMA using facts, stats, and other info in an effort to get the sport regulated in the state of New York. Pretty cool idea actually. I haven't taken that close of a look at it yet.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

It is short notice, so I'll give Strikeforce the benefit of the doubt. But yeah, there had to be somebody out there more deserving or more interesting that would have jumped all over this fight.

I don't know if DREAM was hoping Melendez would take a spot in the tourney, maybe the rumor was overblown, but there are only 14 participants scheduled for the Grand Prix this weekend. Caol Uno is the other odd man out, who is injured, so I don't know whether they plan just plug somebody into the next round or I've heard rumors of having the 8th bout on another card too. Whatever, I'm just waiting for JZ vs. Aoki. First fight since Liddell vs.Silva that I've been counting the days for. Not that Liddell/Silva was that long ago, but I can't think of any other fight I've felt like has taken forever to happen in a long time.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

UFC 85 is looking alright, but I am looking for that defining match up. I could see this one being on Spike TV, because there is...

a.) No title match.

b.) More than likely a #1 contenders match

In other words, the same set up as Cro Cop taking on Gonzaga. A big name against a decent name, but not a huge name.

Kind of random, but a guy on Sherdog made this awesome highlight package for the Misaki/Akiyama fight from New Year's Eve. I think it's amazing. I love these type of highlights, rather than a bunch of clips of guys getting KO'd set to metal or rap. The story is Akiyama is a former judo stand out, he has huge heat in Japan for greasing up before fights (against Sakuraba) and as well as in judo bouts. Misaki is kind of a prick himself sometimes, but for the most part is a popular fighter coming out of the GRABAKA camp. Misaki doesn't like Akiyama for his lack of ethics. Akiyama, simply doesn't give a shit. It's put together very nicely. As much as MMA has succeed by separating itself from wrestling in North America, Japanese eat up the showmanship aspect of it, as do I.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4ka87_be...onflict-a_sport

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

UFC 85 is looking alright, but I am looking for that defining match up. I could see this one being on Spike TV, because there is...

a.) No title match.

b.) More than likely a #1 contenders match

In other words, the same set up as Cro Cop taking on Gonzaga. A big name against a decent name, but not a huge name.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy