MMA News and Discussion Thread

Guest Mr. Potato Head

They should be careful about putting Carano against Young - in WMMA, Young's beat her twice. :shifty:

And I'm still disappointed that Kimbo is going to be the public face of MMA.

Not really news I suppose, but just an interesting tidbit I figured I should post..

Former WWE, TNA and ECW wrestler Kid Kash has made his transition into mixed martial arts, as stated in a news item on Rajah.com on March 24. Kash debuted on Friday night in the three round main event of a Premier Sports Group event in Frankfurt, Ky. He lost to Bryan Brown by decision after going the full three rounds.

Add Josh Burkman vs. Dustin Hazelett for TUF7 Finale as well.

And EliteXC offers Emelianenko a four-fight contract.

ProElite, Inc., the parent company of Elite Xtreme Combat, has offered former PRIDE heavyweight champion Fedor Emelianenko a four-fight contract that could put the famed Russian on the first two EliteXC-CBS shows.

The news was first reported by Chad Edward of Nokaut.com, though MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) has learned some additional details about the deal.

Emelianenko's managemenet and EliteXC officials could not be reached for comment.

According to a source close to the negotiations, the deal would call for a base pay somewhere between $300,000 and $500,000 per fight. Additionally, after the two fights (which would air on CBS or Showtime), Emelianenko's next two fights would air on pay-per-view. As part of the deal, he would receive a portion of the PPV revenue, and the "per-buy bonus" would scale as the total number of buys increases.

The length of the contract would run 18 months.

As Nokaut.com reported, EliteXC officials would also have to introduce the fighter as "M-1 Global's Fedor Emelianenko." Sherdog.com recently reported that Emelianenko never actually signed with the recently restructured M-1 Global organization and that the return of a $1.5 million signing bonus would essentially make him a free agent. M-1 Global executives deny the report.

MMAjunkie.com has also learned that the EliteXC offer would call for Fedor's brother, Aleksander Emelianenko, to compete on the same fight cards if terms for a fight contract can be reached. Other Russian Red Devil Fight Team members could also earn consideration for future events.

The first EliteXC-CBS show is scheduled to take place May 31 in Newark, N.J., and Kevin "Kimbo Slice" Ferguson is tentatively scheduled as the night's headliner. However, Ferguson and Emelianenko are unlikely to fight each other if Emelianenko signs with the organization.

EliteXC is just one of many fight organizations reportedly interested in signing Emelianenko (27-1), who last competed in December at the Yarennoka! New Year's Eve 2007 show. There, he defeated 7-foot-2 Hong Man Choi with a first-round armbar.

Jake Shields is off the Strikeforce/EliteXC show this weekend due to a back injury. Drew Fickett will still fight and if he gets past his opponent then he and Shields will meet on June 14 for the title.

Ryan Jensen will replace Evangelista "Cyborg" Santos in the fight with Joey Villasenor for this weekends show.

Phil Baroni will take on Murilo "Ninja" Rua at the EliteXC CBS debut show.

Patrick Cote vs. Ricardo Almeida has been added to UFC 86.

And Mark Cuban said if the Angle/Couture submission match happens, it will air on his HDNet channel.

Edited by Fitzy

At least Josh Koscheck is staying with the UFC though. He has really grown into a solid fighter. His next fight looks to be against Chris Lytle. Should be a good fight.

Anyone catch WEC from last night? Pretty good show overall. Nice to see Brian Stann walk out with the Light Heavyweight title. He continues to improve with each fight.

Nick Diaz is a dumbass. :lol:

I was reading Meltzer's update today and he told the reason why Diaz was not going to be fighting on Saturday (and yeah, that show continues to lose so many fighters every day it seems) because he put marijuana on his list of what medicine he takes.

--Nick Diaz is out of Saturday night's Strikeforce show in San Jose. Drew Fickett, who was to face Jake Shields (who suffered a back injury in training), now faces Jae Suk Lim, who was to face Diaz. Diaz got bounced by the California State Athletic Commission. When he had a list of his meds, marijuana was on the list. The commission didn't have time to go through its procedures, which involve the commission doctor and the personal doctor explaining the just medical need for the drug (having a prescription alone is not enough to clear it) and then the commission doctor making a recommendation, so Diaz wasn't licensed. Mike Kyle vs. Wayne Cole has been added to the Showtime card. The card will also be on PPV if you want to see it and you don't have Showtime, but it would be easier to just order Showtime and then cancel than spend the money for the PPV.

HHH on UFC:

--True story. On Opie & Anthony, HHH when asked if he ever wanted to do MMA, said he doesn't understand UFC because it looks so fake to him. Not sure if he was tongue in cheek but said he's only seen one show and it all looked phony. He also said Lesnar should have yelled and screamed and been more defiant after his loss to Frank Mir in the promo because it would have gotten more interest in his second match. Well, I guess now we know the show he saw.

And Frank Shamrock will appear on Jimmy Kimmel Live tomorrow if anyone cares.

Edited by Fitzy

World Extreme Cagefighting fighter Leonard Garcia has been arrested as part of an alleged drug-trafficking organization targeted by the Drug Enforcement Administration.

The report comes from KCBD NewsChannel 11 in Lubbock, Texas, the home of the alleged cocaine ring.

Ten of the organization's 13 members, including Garcia, were arrested on Thursday after a four-year investigation into the operation. The U.S. District Attorney's Office revealed that two kilograms of cocaine, drug trafficking paraphernalia, firearms and an undisclosed sum of money were seized in Thursday's sweep.

The drug ring reportedly operated from El Paso to Lubbock going back to 2001.

According to the report, three of those arrested could face up to 40 years in prison and up to a $2 million fine if convicted. Others could face up to life in prison with a $4 million fine.

The 28-year-old Garcia, a former Ring of Fire title-holder, burst onto the MMA scene in a spirited unanimous-decision loss to Roger Huerta at UFC 69. He fought twice more for the UFC before dropping from lightweight to featherweight to compete with the WEC.

He scored a 91-second TKO of Hiroyuki Takaya in his February WEC debut. The victory pushed his record to 11-3.

MMAJunkie posted that Tim Sylvia made the official announcement on Inside MMA that he is leaving UFC and signed with his manager's new promotion. M1-Global is no more (goes back to Fedor's management company) and Cox now has a promotion called Adrenaline MMA that has a show in June. Sylvia and Ben Rothwell are both going to be on it. Sylvia said he is not exclusive to this promotion though.

* Shaw said EliteXC's second CBS special would be in July. Shaw wouldn't say the exact date and said he just got the date this week and is starting to look for a venue, but that the card would be held in a top 20 market.

* Kimbo Slice's opponent on May 31 has been decided but he won't say who until Saturday night as he didn't want to interfere with selling this show. Rumor has it the opponent is Ron Waterman, which is a terrible idea, because he's a good enough takedown guy that he may expose Kimbo, although Waterman is a 290-pound bodybuilder who is slow and Kimbo should destroy on stand-up.

-Dave Meltzer

Anyone just watch that great fight between Frank Shamrock and Cung Le? Fight of the year thus far.

I shall put the results in spoiler tag since it just ended (not sure if it on tape delay or not on the west coast).

Cung Le took Shamrock apart with punches and kicks and did an awesome job at it. Shamrock called it quits after the third round to give Le the Strikeforce Middleweight title. Shamrock broke his right arm due to kicks from Le. Cung Le was the better fighter tonight.

Go out of your way to watch it. Great fight.

Edited by Fitzy

Dream announced that JZ Calvancante and Shinya Aoki will have a rematch for the final spot in the Dream Lightweight Grand Prix tournament. This will take place during Dream 2 on April 29 which has the first round of the Middleweight Grand Prix as well. They also announced the May 11 second round matches, too.

Lightweight Grand Prix Bouts:

-Tatsuya Kawajiri vs. Luis Buscape

-Joachim Hansen vs. Eddie Alvarez

-Mitsuhiro Ishida vs. Caol Uno

-Katsuhiko Nagata vs. Winner of Shinya Aoki/Gesias Calvancante Bout

Why do so many people dislike Matt Hughes? It seems everywhere I go people are ragging on him - I've heard he's arrogant, but is that it? I'm not exactly a UFC insider or anything, and I don't watch much else other than UFC since I'm not exposed to it, I just watch the events and other UFC programs when they're on television.

So why the hate?

My dislike was over the arrogance basically. I'm not sure why, but I was never entertained that much by him either. Don't get me wrong, he is a strong fighter, but he isn't my pick to watch. It may be how he sells himself that alters how I view him in the octogan, but I'm just not into him.

Yeah, just watch some of his season as a coach on The Ultimate Fighter, at one point most of his guys were refusing to work with him, if memory serves