MMA News and Discussion Thread

Guest Dr. Potato Head

Just a friendly notice, 48-hour spoiler rule is in effect here as it is elsewhere on the board - we have an EliteXC thread for you to post any thoughts on that show in between now and Monday night. :)

Guest Dr. Potato Head

Lawler/Smith and Carano/Young are both worth watching. Kimbo/Thompson if you like a spectacle, and the other two main card fights aren't worth it.

Torres vs. Maeda was a great fight. Go out of your way to watch the replay when it is on if you missed it (and it should be replayed as they replay them a lot). I'd love to see a rematch for sure. Like DeeJam said, Round 2 will probably be one of the best rounds you'll see in a long time.

That double heel hook was awesome.
Edited by Fitzy

What a battle that was. Faber and Pulver put on a great fight. Two great fights in a row. I think this is the fight of the year thus far. Just great stuff.

I don't know what fight those judges saw, but I don't think Pulver did so little to deserve two 10-8 rounds.
Edited by Fitzy

I didn't hear the judges decision, but two 10-8 rounds is absurd. Great fight. Jens did not seem prepared for the right hand of Faber. It was such an obvious set up, to the point where at the end, Jens was holding his hand up for like 3 or 4 seconds while Faber held his hand cocked, teasing another shot. It was just too fast for Jens to handle. That and some nice body kicks by Faber really overshadowed a gutsy counter fight by Jens. I saw no reason for 10-8 rounds. Faber has got to do something about that set up if he is going to keep showing that right hand off. It's fast off the mark, but it's begging to be countered.

Torres/Maeda was really good. I think Torres dominated to be honest. He threw everything like a killer. Every knee, punch, every shot that landed looked hard and deadly. Maeda stayed noticed with some nice strikes of his own and countering Torres' kicks with the takedowns, but watching it, the whole fight to me seemed like Maeda was trying to throw Torres off and get him to give more than inch. Torres was just not having any and fucking lit up his eye beautifully. Great fight.

Great set of fights. I enjoyed the WEC much more than EXC. Two of the best fights I've seen all year. Edited by Enter Blue Guy

Out of the EliteXC and WEC fights I've only had a chance to get and watch the Torres vs. Maeda fight (complete with random 30 seconds vanishing and adverts - was it cut on TV or was it my download?) Either way - top fucking fight. The double heel hooks were quality. It had all the entertainment of a 'scripted' WWE fight, but all the brutality and realism of a real fight.

Top fight. Will catch Faber, Lawler and Kimbo when I can.

Guest Dr. Potato Head

You know, it was really stupid of Dana White to not take the CBS deal.

I understand his thinking in wanting complete control over the product - but there are two major problems with that. For one, it's not exactly a common request - NO major American sports league has complete control over their televised product. Secondly, when the casual viewer tunes in and sees a MMA show announced by Gus Johnson, with CBS graphics all over the place, it will have more credibility than a promotion-produced event that happens to mention being on CBS a few times, even if that promotion is UFC, causing the casual to stick around longer. Besides, I'm guessing EXC had quite a bit of leeway when it came to determining what they put on the air regardless.

This was just a bad move for UFC - by turning down CBS, White pretty much handed EXC a silver platter from which they could appear on an equal footing to UFC. Had White taken the deal, and thrown on Ortiz/Machida along with one other big draw (Lesnar?), UFC would have been so far ahead of every other MMA company from a mainstream perception point of view that it wouldn't even be funny.

The only cuts in the fight should be after the rounds as they go to a quick commercial during that time.

Probably just my copy then. It did seem a bit shoddy. I may hunt down a better one, I've seen the fight so I don't know if I want to see it again. At the same time it was a fantastic fight so I may come back to it one day. Really entertaining. I guess for all the wanting to see technical fights, the best fights seem to be where they just stand and bang.