MMA News and Discussion Thread

I can't blame Rogers for that, just like I can't blame EliteXC or Kimbo's camp if they don't do it. Kimbo is the star right now, wether his skills back it up or not. He's the one drawing people in. They'll feed him cans as long as they can, and, hopefully, eventually he'll be ready for more 'legit' competition.

Its a rock and a hard place. People want to see Kimbo, and Kimbo needs to be positioned as 'the guy', but its clear he's not the best fighter in the company.

EDIT: Thinking about it some more, it'll be REALLY interesting to see how EXC handles this. They have to figure out how to not have the fight happen while making sure that it doesn't look like they're protecting Kimbo, or having him duck Rogers. If people start to think he's ducking him, then it becomes really hard for them to keep up the 'BAMF' routine, and if they fight, I think Rogers wins.

Edited by DMN

Donald Trump is apparently going to announce that he will be backing Affliction during a press conference tomorrow and will also introduce Andrei Arlovski as the latest fighter to join the promotion (he'll be facing Ben Rothwell at the debut show).

UFC 85 – Official Weigh-In Results

Main Event

Thiago Alves (174) VS Matt Hughes (170)

Jason Day (184) VS Michael Bisping (184)

Mike Swick (170) VS Marcus Davis (170)

Thales Leites (185) VS Nate Marquardt (185)

Fabricio Werdum (247) VS Brandon Vera (228)

Martin Kampmann (186) VS Jorge Rivera (185)

Thiago Tavares (154.5) VS Matt Wiman (155)

Roan Carneiro (171) VS Kevin Burns (170)

Luiz Cane (204) VS Jason Lambert (205)

Jess Liaudin (169) VS Paul Taylor (169)

Eddie Sanchez (244) VS Antoni Hardonk (247)

Link

Also, really interesting quote coming out of a Dana White interview in ESPN The Magazine:

You have no idea some of the stuff that we have planned. I'm going to make an announcement next week that is going to blow people's minds. That deal is done, but my employees don't even know yet. I'm renting out a place next Thursday and I'm going to tell them. Then we'll make the announcement later that day. It's an indicator of where this business is going over the next five years.

Surely it must be a network deal? Makes sense with the talk of "where this business is going over the next five years", as the multitude of free MMA on television may make it hard to maintain the monthly PPV model.

Rumor is that Brett Rogers/Kimbo Slice might happen in the fall. I think thats going to be a real litmus test for EXC. If there's any shady business in that fight, I think that will really hurt them, especially with how the Thompson/Kimbo fight went, and the subsequent interviews with Thompson.

I didn't catch anything to do with that fight. How did it go down? How did the interviews come off?

Didn't see the fight, but from what I've read, there was a point when Thompson had Slice down, and was just pounding him (though not hurting him), and the fight could (and maybe should) have been stopped, and wasn't. There was some shady scoring, and then, afterwards, they exaggerated how badly hurt Thompson was. Thompson did an interview where he came off as a class act, but questioned it. It really seems like a case of them protecting Kimbo.

EliteXC: Return of the King - June 14, 2008 on Showtime

MAIN CARD

• Champ KJ Noons vs. Yved Edwards (for EliteXC lightweight title)
  • Muhsin Corbbrey vs. Nick Diaz
  • Tony Bonello vs. Murilo "Ninja" Rua
  • Wayne Cole vs. Rafael Feijao
  • Dave Herman vs. Ron Waterman

PRELIMINARY CARD (PROELITE.COM)
    • Kala Kolohe vs. Bubba McDaniel (Airs on ProElite.com after the Showtime main card)
    • Mark Oshiro vs. Chris Willems
    • Kaleo Kwan vs. Mike Aina
    • Chris Bernard vs. Lolohea Mahe
    • PJ Dean vs. Dean Lista

PRELIMINARY CARD (UN-AIRED)

[*]Russell Doane vs. Dwayne Haney

[*]Carl Barton vs. Kepa Madeiros

Nothing stands out as must see but the main event could be a good matchup.

Yves Edwards is Jesus, KJ annoys me to no end and really isn't worthy of holding a belt that guys like Diaz or even Edwards would compete for. I'm not a guy who guarantees wins often, but Nick Diaz would tool Karl James in a rematch. Hopefully Yves via head implosion of some sort, leading to Diaz vs. Edwards. Yeah fucking right, like I'm going to spend my Saturday night watching this.

EDIT: And if Yves loses, fuck will I be blue.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

Diaz vs. Edwards would be great. If both win, it would be great if they put these two on the next CBS card as them plus Lawler/Smith II would be one awesome night.

Eddie Alvarez is a guy at 160 who I'd like to see be back once the lightweight grand prix in Dream is finished. Him in there with Diaz and Edwards would make for some good fights as well.

Edited by Fitzy

Dana has got the MMA community on edge with this fucking announcement. Mayweather, Fox, De La Hoya, Vince McMahon... This shit is ridiculous.

Dana says the announcement will change the business in the next 5 years. That I don't if I read TOO too much into, because Dana loves to drop the "5 year" thing in terms of what he's accomplished already in the UFC. Mayweather, seems like a giant pipe dream for now. Unless Floyd is getting some kind of MMA development contract. Vince McMahon? Coincidentally has a press conference scheduled on the same day as Dana, but from what I've heard that has something to do with Crazy Uncle Vinnie's Zillion Dollar Give-a-way. The Fox deal sounds about right, however there is an interesting twist. Apparently Dana has stated the announcement is NOT a TV... Now the rumors are circulating that Fox has purchased UFC from Zuffa. Which isn't as far fetched as it might seem. It's been no secret the Fertitta's always have the UFC on the table for the right price.

I'm too lazy to find the exact quote where Dana says it's not a TV deal, so if anybody can confirm or deny him saying this, go nuts.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

- Regarding the major announcement coming from UFC Thursday that has everyone in UFC nervous, Dana told CNBC that it was not the announcement that Floyd Mayweather had signed with UFC (there was little chance of that happening anyway, although it has been rumored forever), that it was not UFC going into a partnership with WWE (which shoots down the rumors of people who found it more than coincidental that UFC and WWE both had a press conference scheduled for Thursday in New York), and that it's not a TV deal with FOX or ABC/ESPN. I guess that leaves the remaining "major announcement" possibilities as a sale of some sort, the announcement that they're going public, the announcement that they got New York State Athletic Commission sanctioning, or the announcement that they're going public. My guess would be NYSAC sanctioning given the locale of the announcement, but who knows.

Alvarez's take.

I'm not ruling out the Athletic Commission thing, but why they would let it come from Dana and why he would need to gather all his fighters to tell them? I'm thinking it has to have something to do directly with the UFC and it's something they can keep under wraps until they feel like announcing it.

If NYSAC thing was going down, I think we'd hear some serious rumblings of its happening beforehand.

If it is sanctioning, fucking kudos Dana and the UFC for being at the center of this.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy