MMA News and Discussion Thread

Before I start, just wanted to say I watched Tibau and Stevenson from UFC 86. Gutted for Tibau but I knew he'd dominate and get caught in a submission, was almost too obvious but Stevenson sunk that guillotine in while being taken down. He's pretty deadly with it.

Now, EXC.

So I only watched four matches. Silva - Eilers, Shields - Thompson, Diaz - Denny and Lawler - Smith. I didn't watch any of the prelims as I wanted to get the matches watched and start discussing it, so I may go back and watch them. Didn't watch the womens fight on the account of I didn't want to because it didn't interest me.

Diaz looked solid but also looked overwhelmed at first by Denny. Although Denny was silly and set a pace too high for him to compete at consistently. He needed to get a win early on over Diaz, Diaz was too good and evaded most of his strikes and then began to pick apart and then finished him off early in the second and celebrated like he'd been crowned king of the world. Egomaniac.

Silva - Eilers was pretty predictable. Eilers done well in the early exchanges but Silva could take him down when he wanted and get away from any of those exchanges if he needed to. Shots to the back of the head which ultimately didn't matter. The commentators were singing Eilers praises that he made it through the first round, but only just as Silva pretty much rearranged his face at the beginning of the 2nd.

And to keep the entertainment going Lawler and Smith came out and just banged. People say it's not as good as their first fight, I can't comment as I don't think I watched it. Either way Smith looked better early on with some nice high kicks but he wasn't hurrying Lawler enough. He needed to get in there and attack after a high kick or a combination of punches. In the end Lawler managed to settle in nicely and start dishing out his own punishment, some knees from the clinch in the end enough to sort Smith out and then he just beat him down from there till the referee stopped it.

I think this event will have done the company could mainly for the excitement. These are the 4 main fights people would really care about and they all were ended inside the time which looks good for MMA as a whole. No boring lay and pray decisions or anything like that, it was all exciting fighting which I'm sure the crowd and viewers will have enjoyed. But we'll wait until some official announcements are made.

Edited by IAceI

EXC

I've only seen the main event and clips of Eilers/Silva.

Lawler/Smith was pretty fun. Back and forth. I really wish Scott Smith would've given the head kicks a rest. It was like every combo was ending with a blocked kick to the head. Who the hell is Robbie supposed to fight next? It'll probably be a rematch against Villasenor.

God, for the sake of mankind, I hope Carano mops the floor with Cyborg so I don't have to see less Gina and more of the Manbeast.

As for the IFL, I hope they got some contracts in the deal. Some nice prospects that could fit in well in the WEC, a few who I can possibly see making the jump to the UFC right away or at least very soon. Nothing has convinced me that Chris Horodecki isn't going to be a huge star in MMA. He's younger than I am and he's already pretty damn good. And he can only get better training with Tompkins at Xtreme Couture. If the UFC locked up this kid up, I well be very pleased.

Also, last night I got home early and ended up watching the replay of UFC 84 on Spike. Amazing presentation. The whole event was trimmed of it's fight and it was replaced by interviews and bacstage footage. It was almost like UFC 84: The Documentary. It was very cool. Not to mention it is probably the best event all year, IMO. I don't remember it being all that, but watching it again with the bad ass presentation has upped the stock of this card about 150% percent. Great event top to bottom.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

84 was awesome. From Carwin's big headshot to Wellisch. Palhares seamless transition into an armbar for the win.

Then on the main card Mendes coming out with big shots early on but Silva getting the victory. Machida evading every attack Ortiz threw at him, picking him apart and then Ortiz with that late triangle. Reljic looking absolutely ripped, picking up the win and the random moment where he just pulled guard for no reason. Wandy's big return to form with a quick victory over Jardine. Then the epic smack talk fest that ended with those memorable running knee and strikes up against the fence from Penn and Sherk being unable to continue.

My favourite event of the year, possibly my favourite event.

You have me wanting to go back and watch it, but part of what made that event was all the history I got that I don't get where I get the fights from - which you told me about. You just get the fight. Part of what made that event so great was Machida being so diplomatic in contrast to Ortiz's American-badass approach of "Rargh I am awesome and will beat you." And the whole history of Sherk/Penn going into it, only for them to apparently go gay for each other when it was all finished <_<

Although my favourite ever pre-fight comments (which I love so much) was Rob Yundt when he stepped in to face Almeida. "I'm gonna go out there and rip his fucking head off." .. Choked out one minute in. Was pretty fantastic.

You have me wanting to go back and get UFC 84 now :@

I'm not doubting that. But the other four matches were the ones I was interested in, so I wanted to get through and watch them so I could get in this thread and discuss.

Then I'll go back at a later date and watch the fights I wasn't as interested in. Thing is I didn't want those 4 matches spoiled for me, I didn't really care who won the womens match or how, so it makes no difference when I watch it or anything.

I was kind of kidding about the Gina thing. I can appreciate women fighting just fine, but SheBorg haunts my dreams. Just so I can sleep at night, I'd much rather have more Gina Carano.

Gina Carano is the perfect face for female MMA. She was the first woman my mom watched fight... and it was good because not only can Carano go, but she's an extremely beautiful woman as well.

We need more womens fights, and hopefully EliteXC keeps them coming, at least one per card.

I wanted Okami too. He probably has as good a chance at beating Silva as anybody right now, he's big and can smother Silva like Henderson did in the first round, but I think will eventually end up getting subbed if it stays on the ground too long... and of course if Okami wants to stand, well, that would be a big mistake. I hope we'll get one or two more big fights, since Cote is gonna get mauled. But I'm really excited for Alves/Sanchez, since it'll almost assuredly determine the next challenger for the Welterweight title.

I think Marquardt is the best shot at 185 to beat Silva. Obviously with a different gameplan than last time. His last fight kind of fucked shit up, but I still think he's the best legit threat at Middleweight in the UFC. I'd say Okami is right after. Okami is one of the few guys at 185 that matches up well physically to Silva.

Still, I can see Anderson beating both.

Anderson Silva is a fighter that I can't really match any other fighter to skill wise at 185. I don't think I could confidently pick against him without seeing his win streak snapped first. Even then, how could a fighter doing the things he's doing now not rebound and be just as good? Possibly in a heavier weight class as well.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

Sorry for the double post, but I have new input.

Stolen from MMANews.com

According to a source over at Cage Potatoe, former UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Quinton "Rampage" Jackson may have a few more problems than just getting arrested:

Rampage thinks he’s God…He had a falling out with his trainer a couple of days before the first arrest. Basically he has lost his mind and is talking very religious and is saying that he is God. This is the main thing I wanted to keep hidden, but with the second arrest and Dana talking it will come out regardless. He needs some serious help. I don’t know if you would call it schizophrenia or bipolar disorder or what have you, but whatever it is, basically it’s become impossible to have a conversation with him. He is delusional.

Do the whole grain of salt deal. I haven't heard this anywhere else but on message boards.

Gee Forrest really fucked up Rampage by taking the title off him.

It's a shame because Rampage is a tank, and without him in the division there's a bit of a hole. He's a good face for the UFC because hes a big bad motherfucker, and quite funny and usually humble. But if he's claiming to be God then, well, maybe not so much?

I can understand how watching the fight for himself may have changed his attitude towards the loss, but to go from being as humble and together as he was when he was on the mic after the fight to what he is supposedly is now... What the fuck?

He was also at Affliction apparently as well. He goes to jail, then the looney bin, Dana White is all worried and saying he may be there for a bit longer, then suddenly he shows up at Affliction and is STILL crazy. Sounds a little fucked up. I really wish there were more details, but a little down time is what Page needs now. The last thing he needs is for this to blow up even more. Rampage news has been fairly scarce since he checked in to get mentally evaluated.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

Thing is Okami is his best shot. But Silva will even stop him so who does that leave for him to fight?

Well, potentially a rematch with Dan Henderson if UFC wants to go that route. And while these guys aren't immediate challengers, you've got Michael Bisping, Rousimar Palhares (Who is unfortunately matched up with Henderson for his next fight...), Demian Maia, and maybe even Martin Kampmann. Plus, I'd imagine the winner of Dean Lister/Thales Leites will be getting a title shot as well. So there's plenty of challengers, they just need to get some more wins and exposure. Hell maybe even Paulo Filho if WEC does indeed toss their higher weight classes. Of course, Silva has said he wouldn't fight Filho since they're friends, but you never know.

Forgot about Hendo. I guess he's the best bet to take Anderson out. I passed over him because it still seems like just yesterday he got beat.

I don't know if Lister deserves a shot if he beats Leites. Never been sold on Lister being a contender. He's a grappling stud, but as a complete fighter, he leaves a lot to be desired. Not that making Jeremy Horn tap inside a round isn't impressive. Again, primo grappler.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy