MMA News and Discussion Thread

I was just coming in here to say how the results of last night will have affected Shakespeare's precious top ten rankings that he seems to hold so much stock in... And he's already done a new list.

That's because I time traveled backwards to before you made the post and beat you to it. :P

But seriously, the top 10 rankings are very helpful. I don't know why some people take issue; it helps to see who should get the next title shots.

I understand why people dislike the P4P rankings, but not the regular divisional rankings... and besides, Sherdog is a very reputable site.

Kongo looked impressive in that stoppage.

Excellent knockout by Rampage.

I was hoping CB would lose that fight. I just don't like him. But he won and he has a shitty voice. :shifty:

Frank Mir being the first guy to stop Nogueira is awesome. He came with something to prove and he proved it, in a huge way. Awesome performance by him and an awesome promo too.

Lesnar vs. Mir II is going to be great. Can't wait.

Did Rashad enter the octagon like a monkey because someone called him a monkey nigger? He said he read about that on some website in a recent interview. :shifty:

Good first two rounds by Forrest Griffin, but a really good performance by Rashad in round three to win the Light Heavyweight title. Dana White didn't look too pleased. :shifty:

What I didn't like was Rashad in the second round when he was up against the cage after taking some shots from Forrest, kissing his lips, and then touches his crotch with them. He can get way too cocky, but does back it up in the end.

Evans vs. Jackson seems like the next matchup, I am sure.
Edited by Fitzy

Guest Mr. Potato Head

MPH fantasy-books UFC through August:

Let's take this division by division.

155 is possibly the weakest division in UFC right now, at least from a marketing standpoint - which is why I'm thrilled to see Diego Sanchez moving down, I fully expect him to wipe the floor with Joe Stevenson in March.

BJ Penn is the current champ, but since he's challenging GSP at 170 on 1/31, he's not going to be defending his title until at least May. In my mind, Penn vs. Sanchez would be a headlining match, maybe even for UFC 100 because of the timing - although it could fall on either side as well.

The guy most deserving of a title shot is Kenny Florian, but timing's working against him - better to feed him somebody he can beat in March or April, and set him up for the winner of Sanchez/Penn (either way another headline match). Maybe Sean Sherk is the ideal opponent - he has a win over Kenflo, and I think Kenny's capable of getting it back. Other names in the mix, albeit lower, are Roger Huerta and Gray Maynard.

Welterweight is obviously spoken for with GSP/Penn on 1/31. There's also a Jon Fitch match on the undercard - he should be able to get a couple more wins and be a top player at 170 again by autumn. Matt Serra's another big name, but rumours have him fighting Matt Hughes at UFC 98 - probably the top match there. This still leave an unbelievable amount of talent, including Thiago Alves, Josh Koscheck, Mike Swick, and Ben Saunders.

185 is a little underrepresented in the near future. Denis Kang makes his UFC debut at UFC 93, and it's looking like Anderson Silva will defend the title against Thales Leites at UFC 97. Michael Bisping's in line for a title shot soon, but first he's coaching the next season of TUF - which likely means a match with the opposite coach (probably Dan Henderson should he beat Rich Franklin) in late June/early July. July will also see the return of Chris Leben from suspension, while names like Yushin Okami and Demian Maia could start getting greater prominence.

205 has a lot of star power, and a lot already booked. UFC 93 sees the aforementioned Franklin/Henderson bout as well as Shogun Rua vs. Mark Coleman. UFC 94 has Stephan Bonnar fighting somebody as well as Lyoto Machida vs. Thiago Silva, Chuck Liddell's rumoured for a fight soon, and that's to say nothing of the four guys who fought last night. Keith Jardine might be in there somewhere too, Liddell wants a rematch although UFC's not in favour.

Lesnar/Mir is going to be big, we all know that. But aside from that blockbuster, there's all kinds of great stuff coming up in the heavyweight division - Big Nog vs. Couture seems likely. Expect guys like Cain Velasquez and Junior dos Santos to get buildup wins and become major players by late 2009.

With all that in mind, here's a look at the next few months of UFC, as booked by me. Obviously there will be bigger undercards.

bold indicates matches officially announced, normal font indicates matches speculated elsewhere, italics indicate matches that are as far as I know my own creation.

UFC 93 (1/17):

Rich Franklin vs. Dan Henderson

Mark Coleman vs. Mauricio Rua

Denis Kang vs. Alan Belcher

UFC 94 (1/31):

George St. Pierre vs. BJ Penn

Lyoto Machida vs. Thiago Silva

Stephan Bonnar vs. Jon Jones

Jon Fitch vs. Akihiro Gono

UFC 95 (2/21):

Diego Sanchez vs. Joe Stevenson

Junior dos Santos vs. Stefan Struve

This card is from England, and I'm expecting it to be another "numbered" event that ends up on Spike.

UFC 96 (3/7):

Shane Carwin vs. Gabriel Gonzaga

Chuck Liddell vs. Keith Jardine

Kenny Florian vs. Sean Sherk

I think Liddell is needed to headline this card, and I can't come up with a better opponent for him, unless somebody's willing to go surprisingly soon. Carwin and Florian are expected to win their matches.

UFC 97 (4/18):

Anderson Silva vs. Thales Leites

Forrest Griffin vs. Wanderlei Silva

Gray Maynard vs. Roger Huerta

Demian Maia vs. Patrick Cote

If a different opponent is found for Liddell at 96, bump Jardine back to being Forrest's opponent here in a nice rematch. Not sure where that leaves Wanderlei. Maia is expected to win.

UFC 98 (early May?):

Matt Serra vs. Matt Hughes

Quinton Jackson vs. Rashad Evans

Ben Saunders vs. somebody

This card could probably use a little more depth, but I'm not sure where to get it from. Saunders is expected to win and look good doing so.

UFC 99 (late May/early June?):

BJ Penn vs. Diego Sanchez

Randy Couture vs. Big Nog

Mike Swick vs. somebody

Yushin Okami vs. somebody

Couple jobber matches here, unfortunately. Maybe Swick could be moved back to 98 to face Saunders, with the winner instantly being near the top of the division - but I think that's blowing your load too soon. Two very, very big headline matches.

UFC 100 (late June?):

Brock Lesnar vs. Frank Mir

Cain Velasquez vs. Heath Herring

Josh Koscheck vs. Jon Fitch

Michael Bisping vs. Dan Henderson

Biggest show in UFC history is the idea - TUF coaches fighting, most anticipated fight perhaps ever, Koscheck third from the top, and hopefully Velasquez becomes a star.

UFC 101 (mid-July?):

George St. Pierre vs. Thiago Alves

Shane Carwin vs. somebody

Chris Leben vs. Denis Kang

Silva/Machida loser vs. Stephan Bonnar

This is assuming Carwin beats Gonzaga - otherwise Gonzaga gets a mini-push and that spot. Also assuming Bonnar wins his match. If Penn beats GSP, perhaps more star power is needed - switch Alves and Koscheck if that's the case.

UFC 102 (early August?):

Evans/Rampage winner vs. Silva/Machida winner

Junior dos Santos vs. Gabriel Gonzaga

Maynard/Huerta winner vs. Joe Stevenson

And finally a bit more of a down show. This is assuming Gonzaga lost to Carwin.

This leaves us with Kenny Florian challenging for the LW belt around 103/104, and guys like Maia, Velasquez, and Saunders hopefully well on their way to stardom. What do you guys think? Any loose holes?

UFC 100 (late June?):

Brock Lesnar vs. Frank Mir

Cain Velasquez vs. Heath Herring

Josh Koscheck vs. Jon Fitch

Michael Bisping vs. Dan Henderson

Biggest show in UFC history is the idea - TUF coaches fighting, most anticipated fight perhaps ever, Koscheck third from the top, and hopefully Velasquez becomes a star.

I cannot see Koscheck and Fitch agreeing to fight each other. Unless one moves out of the camp, these two and Mike Swick would not face each other.

Kazushi Sakuraba vs. Kiyoshi Tamura

Joachim Hansen vs. Gesias "J.Z." Cavalcante

Shinya Aoki vs. Eddie Alvarez

Mark Hunt vs. Melvin Manhoef

K-1: Gegard Mousasi vs. Musashi

Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipović vs. Hong-Man Choi

K-1: Alistair Overeem vs. Badr Hari

K-1: Tatsuya Kawajiri vs. Kozo Takeda

Hayato "Mach" Sakurai vs. Katsuyori Shibata

Semmy Schilt vs. Mighty Mo

Bob Sapp vs. Akihito Tanaka

K-1 Koshien Tournament Finals: Winner of HIROYA/Shimada vs. Winner of Kusakabe/Urabe

Yukio Sakaguchi vs. Andy Ologun

Hideo Tokoro vs. Daisuke Nakamura

K-1: Artur Kyshenko vs. Yoshihiro Sato

K-1 Koshien Tournament Semifinals: HIROYA vs. Shota Shimada

K-1 Koshien Tournament Semifinals: Ryuya Kusakabe vs. Koya Urabe

Minowaman vs. Errol Zimmerman

That's the final FieLDS Dynamite!!! card for tomorrow. I'm crossing my fingers that HDNet will be airing this live.

They couldn't get any television or Internet broadcast deal signed so you won't be seeing it live.

Also WAMMA is creating another title, a lightweight title, for the Alvarez/Aoki fight.

--WAMMA announced today that Wednesday's Eddie Alvarez vs. Shinya Aoki match would decide the "first ever undisputed lightweight champion." Undisputed? The belt will be awarded to the winner at a ceremony at a later date. Alvarez is 15-1, and 4-0 as a lightweight and was in two of the best matches of the year already with Joachim Hansen and Tetsuya Kawajiri. Aoki is 18-3 and is probably the current most popular MMA fighter of the Japanese hardcore fan base. WAMMA's press release mentions that in WAMMA's own ratings, B.J. Penn is the No. 1 ranked lightweight. The explanation by Michael Lynch, CEO of WAMMA is that Penn hasn't fought since 5/24 and his next fight is at welterweight so his future in the division is in question, and noted Alvarez and Aoki are ranked No. 2 and No. 3. This would be the second WAMMA title awarded, with the first being Fedor Emelianenko as heavyweight.
Edited by Fitzy

Results from Dynamite 2008:

OFFICIAL MMA RESULTS

* Kiyoshi Tamura def. Kazushi Sakuraba via unanimous decision

* Shinya Aoki def. Eddie Alvarez via submission (heel hook) -- Round 1, 1:32 (for WAMMA lightweight title)

* Melvin Manhoef def. Mark Hunt via KO (punches) -- Round 1, 0:18

* Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic def. Hong Man Choi via TKO (leg injury) -- Round 1, 6:32

* Hayato "Mach" Sakurai def. Katsuyori Shibata via TKO (punches) -- Round 1, 7:01

* Semmy Schilt def. Siala "Mighty Mo' Siliga via submission (trinagle choke) -- Round 1, 5:31

* Bob Sapp def. Akihito "Kinniku Mantaro" Tanaka via TKO (punches) -- Round 1, 5:22

* Andy Ologun def. Yukio Sakaguchi via TKO (punches) -- Round 1, 3:52

* Daisuke Nakamura def. Hideo Tokoro via technical submission (arm bar) -- Round 1, 2:23

* Ikuhisa Minowa def. Errol Zimmerman via submission (toe hold) -- Round 1, 1:01

K-1 KICKBOXING RULES RESULTS

* Gegard Mousasi def. Musashi via TKO -- Round 1, 2:32

* Alistair Overeem def. Bahr Hari via KO -- Round 1, 2:07

* Tatsuya Kawajiri def. Kozo Takeda via TKO -- Round 1, 2:37

* Hiroya def. Koya Urabe via unanimous decision (overtime: 10-9, 10-9, 10-9)*

* Artur Kyshenko def. Yoshihiro Sato via majority decision (30-29, 29-28 and 29-29)

* Hiroya def. Shota Shimada via unanimous decision (30-39, 30-29, 30-29)^

* Koya Urabe def. Ryuya Kusakabe via TKO (doctor's stoppage) -- Round 3, 2:21^

*-K-1 Koshien (under-18) tournament final

^-K-1 Koshien (under-18) tournament semifinal

Cavalcante vs. Hansen was canceled due to Hansen not getting medically cleared.

Also for those who have Time Warner cable, you might be without Spike TV starting at 12:01 am tomorrow as Viacom and Time Warner were not able to come to a deal.

http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.com/

Results from Dynamite 2008:

OFFICIAL MMA RESULTS

* Kiyoshi Tamura def. Kazushi Sakuraba via unanimous decision

* Shinya Aoki def. Eddie Alvarez via submission (heel hook) -- Round 1, 1:32 (for WAMMA lightweight title)

* Melvin Manhoef def. Mark Hunt via KO (punches) -- Round 1, 0:18

* Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic def. Hong Man Choi via TKO (leg injury) -- Round 1, 6:32

* Hayato "Mach" Sakurai def. Katsuyori Shibata via TKO (punches) -- Round 1, 7:01

* Semmy Schilt def. Siala "Mighty Mo' Siliga via submission (trinagle choke) -- Round 1, 5:31

* Bob Sapp def. Akihito "Kinniku Mantaro" Tanaka via TKO (punches) -- Round 1, 5:22

* Andy Ologun def. Yukio Sakaguchi via TKO (punches) -- Round 1, 3:52

* Daisuke Nakamura def. Hideo Tokoro via technical submission (arm bar) -- Round 1, 2:23

* Ikuhisa Minowa def. Errol Zimmerman via submission (toe hold) -- Round 1, 1:01

K-1 KICKBOXING RULES RESULTS

* Gegard Mousasi def. Musashi via TKO -- Round 1, 2:32

* Alistair Overeem def. Bahr Hari via KO -- Round 1, 2:07

* Tatsuya Kawajiri def. Kozo Takeda via TKO -- Round 1, 2:37

* Hiroya def. Koya Urabe via unanimous decision (overtime: 10-9, 10-9, 10-9)*

* Artur Kyshenko def. Yoshihiro Sato via majority decision (30-29, 29-28 and 29-29)

* Hiroya def. Shota Shimada via unanimous decision (30-39, 30-29, 30-29)^

* Koya Urabe def. Ryuya Kusakabe via TKO (doctor's stoppage) -- Round 3, 2:21^

*-K-1 Koshien (under-18) tournament final

^-K-1 Koshien (under-18) tournament semifinal

Cavalcante vs. Hansen was canceled due to Hansen not getting medically cleared.

Also for those who have Time Warner cable, you might be without Spike TV starting at 12:01 am tomorrow as Viacom and Time Warner were not able to come to a deal.

http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.com/

Yeah, MTV, VH1, Comedy Central, Nickelodeon, Spike TV...

FUCK YOU TIME WARNER

Man, Mousasi and Overeem showed why they get so much hype.
Edited by Master Shakespeare

Yes!!! So I still get my UFC fix on Spike TV.

So, I saw the KO that Manhoef got on Mark Hunt and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be to be quite honest. For a man who could take Cro Cop's high kick and not fall down, I think that's pretty weak by Hunt but shows just how strong of a hitter Melvin is. To be quite honest, I forgot all about this card until I saw the results this morning which sucks, because it looked like a pretty kick ass card.

Sakurai, Sapp, and Minowa all winning is goodness in my eyes. I love me some Mach Sakurai, Bob Sapp, and Minowaman. However, I am getting quite sick of Cro Cop who hasn't really been the same in my eyes since PRIDE shut down. The Gracie Hunter going down sucks ass as I am a pretty big fan of Sakuraba, but that's the way MMA goes and Aoki vs. Alvarez result really doesn't surprise me.

Overeem is Jesus!

I'm all for bad guys making things interesting in sports, but Badr Hari is a total douchsicle. I barely even care about K-1 and that fight was easily most satisfying outcome of the night. Probably even better than anything that happened last weekend too.

Fuck you Badr Hari. You got manhandled by a man with 5 pro kickboxing fights. Its funny because now they get to fight again in 09 under MMA rules. HA! I'm hoping Alistair guillotines the living fuck out of him. Hari is such a cumdumpster that the fact that Overeem is a horse compared to him means jack shit.
Edited by Enter Blue Guy

I'm not an Overeem fan, nor am I a Badr Hari fan. However, the win for Overeem can't be a bad thing because he is starting to look like a real force at heavyweight, and beating a great kick boxer at his own game only helps. Here is to hoping that Fedor and Overeem meet up in late 09 (after Fedor beats Arlovski and Barnett).

Manhoef hits like a tank. Good to see Cro Cop pick up a win, hopefully HMC doesn't kill himself as a result. Still, I think Cro Cop is going to have to hang them up soon. Another fight with Overeem at some point is unavoidable, and Overeem is going to crush him, I hate to say.