MMA News and Discussion Thread

For those interested, Quinton Jackson plead guilty to all of the charges (I think). His sentencing has been deferred for a year, and in that time he will have to complete some community service and undergo counseling. If he behaves well, completes his service, and stays out of trouble in that year then it'll be reduced to a misdemeanor and he will only have to pay a fine.

If he gets in some sort of trouble between now and then, he'd likely serve jail time.

Good to hear, in my opinion. Quinton seems like a genuinely nice, well-intentioned guy. Obviously, he's got some mental/emotional issues and maybe a bit of immaturity to work through, but I think he'll grow from this experience and I don't think he'll get in trouble again. He's a great fighter. Even though I was rooting for Wanderlei to knock him out a third time, I have warmed up to him a lot in the past year, and I was happy for him when he won.

Edited by 'Hardwork' Bobby Walker

Guest Mr. Potato Head
CBC, the main national broadcaster in Canada, is airing a major MMA piece tomorrow at 11 a.m. Eastern time during their news segment.

CBC *does* have a two-hour Sunday morning news show (CBC News Sunday), I guess that's what this'll be? I'll be watching, anyhow.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

So the piece was on the lack of health insurance and pensions for UFC fighters (that's what I love about Canadian journalism, fuck the "it's growing so fast!" fluff pieces). They interviewed Couture, Dana (who came off as a total heel, the interviewer even explained after the piece that he deserves credit for making UFC popular and isn't a complete jerk), and Mauro Ranallo (who they claimed has 20 years of MMA broacasting experience). It's worth watching if you're interested in the topic at all - my feeling is that some fighters just need to look at The Wrestler, realize that could be them in twenty years, and have no problem winning public opinion that way.

I'll post a link to the video once CBC puts it up.

Just to give everybody a refresher on what's coming up in the first few months of the new year, here is the projected notable MMA calender for early 09, stolen from MMA Weekly, all in one convenient post.

UFC 93: JANUARY 17, 2009

venue: O2 Arena in Dublin, Ireland

Main Card Bouts:

-Rich Franklin (#9 Light Heavyweight in the World)* vs. Dan Henderson (#7 Middleweight in the World)* in a light heavyweight bout

-Mauricio "Shogun" Rua vs. Mark Coleman

-Denis Kang vs. Alan Belcher

-Rousimar Palhares vs. Jeremy Horn

-Marcus Davis vs. Chris Lytle

Preliminary Bouts:

-Martin Kampmann vs. Alexandre Barros

-Ivan Serati vs. Thomasz Drwal

-Tom Egan vs. John Hathaway

-Nate Mohr vs. Denis Siver

-Eric Schafer vs. Antonio Mendes

AFFLICTION 2: JANUARY 24, 2009

venue: Honda Center in Anaheim, California

Pay-Per-View Bouts:

-Fedor Emelianenko (#1 Heavyweight in the World)* vs. Andrei Arlovski (#4 Heavyweight in the World)*

-Josh Barnett (#2 Heavyweight in the World)* vs. Gilbert Yvel

-Matt Lindland (#3 Middleweight in the World)* vs. Vitor Belfort

-Renato "Babalu" Sobral vs. Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou

-Chris Horodecki vs. Dan Lauzon

-Paul Buentello vs. Kiril "Baby Fedor" Sidelnikov

HDNet Bouts:

-Antonio Rogerio Nogueira (#6 Light Heavyweight in the World)* vs. Vladimir Matyushenko

-Jay Hieron vs. Jason High

-Mark Hominick vs. L.C. Davis

-Antonio Duarte vs. Albert Rios

-Brett Cooper vs. Patrick Speight

WEC 38: JANUARY 25, 2009

venue: San Diego Sports Arena in San Diego, California

-Jamie Varner vs. Donald Cerrone

-Urijah Faber (#2 Featherweight in the World)* vs. Jens Pulver

-Danillo Villefort vs. Mike Campbell

-Jose Aldo vs. Rolando Perez

-Ed Ratcliff vs. Anthony Njokuani

-Hiromitsu Miura vs. Edgar Garcia

-Dominick Cruz vs. Ian McCall

-Scott Jorgenson vs. Frank Gomez

-Blas Avena vs. Jesse Lennox

-Charlie Valencia vs. Seth Dikun

UFC 94: JANUARY 31, 2009

venue: MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada

Main Card Bouts:

-Georges St. Pierre (#1 Welterweight in the World)* vs. B.J. Penn (#2 Lightweight in the World)*

-Lyoto Machida (#4 Light Heavyweight in the World)* vs. Thiago Silva (#10 Light Heavyweight in the World)*

-Karo Parisyan (#10 Welterweight in the World)* vs. Dong Hyun Kim

-Nathan Diaz vs. Clay Guida

-Stephan Bonnar vs. Jon Jones

Preliminary Bouts:

-Jon Fitch (#2 Welterweight in the World)* vs. Akihiro Gono

-Jake O'Brien vs. Christian Wellisch

-Chris Wilson vs. John Howard

-Manny Gamburyan vs. Thiago Tavares

-Matt Arroyo vs. Dan Cramer

UFC FIGHT NIGHT 17: FEBRUARY 7, 2009

venue: USF Sun Dome in Tampa, Florida

Main Card Bouts:

-Joe Lauzon vs. Hermes Franca

-Cain Velasquez vs. Denis Stojnic

-Amir Sadollah vs. Nick Catone

-Mac Danzig vs. Josh Neer

Preliminary Bouts:

-Rich Clementi vs. Gleison Tibau

-Anthony Johnson vs. Luigi Fioravanti

-Kurt Pellegrino vs. Rob Emerson

-Jake Rosholt vs. Dan Miller

-Matt Grice vs. George Sotiropoulos

-Steve Bruno vs. Matt Riddle

UFC 95: FEBRUARY 21, 2009

venue: O2 Arena in London, England

-Diego Sanchez (#8 Welterweight in the World)* vs. Joe Stevenson in a lightweight bout

-Josh Koscheck (#4 Welterweight in the World)* vs. Paulo Thiago

-Nathan Marquardt (#5 Middleweight in the World)* vs. Wilson Gouveia

-Chael Sonnen vs. Damien Maia

-Junior dos Santos vs. Stefan Struve

-Dan Hardy vs. Rory Markham

-Shannon Gugerty vs. Jeff Lawson

-Justin Buchholz vs. Terry Etim

-Troy Mandaloniz vs. Paul Kelly

-Neil Grove vs. TBA

UFC 96: MARCH 7, 2009

venue: Nationwide Arena in Columbus, Ohio

-Gabriel Gonzaga (#8 Heavyweight in the World)* vs. Shane Carwin

-Gray Maynard vs. Jim Miller

-Dustin Hazelett vs. Ben Saunders

-Kendall Grove vs. Jason Day

-Aaron Riley vs. Shane Nelson

-Brandon Vera vs. Mike Patt

-Jason Brilz vs. Tim Boetsch

-David Bielkheden vs. TBA

-Matt Brown vs. TBA

WEC 39: MARCH 1, 2009

venue: TBA in Corpus Christi, Texas

-Mike Brown (#1 Featherweight in the World)* vs. Leonard Garcia (#10 Featherweight in the World)*

-Carlos Condit (#9 Welterweight in the World)* vs. Brock Larson

-Rob McCullough vs. Marcus Hicks

UFC FIGHT NIGHT 18: APRIL 1, 2009

venue: TBA location: Nashville, Tennessee

-Efrain Escuedero vs. Jeremy Stephens

-Junie Browning vs. Cole Miller

WEC 40: APRIL 2009

venue: TBA

-Miguel Torres (#1 Bantamweight in the World)* vs. Brian Bowles (#2 Bantamweight in the World)*

-Jeff Curran vs. TBA

UFC 97: APRIL 18, 2009

venue: Bell Centre in Montreal, Canada

-Anderson Silva (#1 Middleweight in the World)* vs. Thales Leites

-Keith Jardine (#7 Light Heavyweight in the World)* vs. Luiz Cane

-David Loiseau vs. Ed Herman

-Jonathan Goulet vs. Tamdan McCrory

Will go over that in a little bit more detail, some points I've noticed.

Some good looking cards coming up early on in the year. Shows that MMA has a lot of strength and depth now and that's a good thing.

J-Lau fighting soon :)

Maia seems to be going in the wrong direction for my liking at the minute. I want to see him fighting more established fighters as I'm really hoping for a title shot at Silva sometime soon.

Like I say, will go over it in more detail probably when I get a better chance to look and see.

Which I believe is total crap. Aoki is good, but Penn has proved to be the best, especially after beating manhandling Sean Sherk. He hasn't really done anything to prove he isn't worth of being #1 Lightweight either.

Maia seems to be going in the wrong direction for my liking at the minute. I want to see him fighting more established fighters as I'm really hoping for a title shot at Silva sometime soon.

I think Sonnen is a great opponent for Maia. A solid, all around fighter, good enough on the ground that he shouldn't be quickly subbed by Maia. If anything, Sonnen will be a as much as a test as MacDonald was for Demien (EDIT: even though I don't think Sonnen is crazy enough willingly take it to that mat like Jason did) . Give Sonnen some credit, he did just beat the previously 16-0 Paulo Filho. Though I suspect the new Paulo Filho is some kind of faulty replicate sent from Brazil after the old Filho disappeared.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

Established - as in someone a more casual fan can relate to. Sonnen's good, but I don't think Maia is going to get a shot at the title based off beating him, I meant I want to see him fight some better known fighters so people watching will look and take notice and say "God this guys good, and if he wins another like that then he'll surely be in line for a title shot." Which I don't see happening from beating Sonnen on a typical overseas card.

Then again I guess the UFC are a bit more interested in Leites, then Bisping/Henderson/Franklin to risk Maia losing momentum now when they know that after all that Maia could very well be a big name fighter ready for Silva should he still be champion then. Even if Maia were to lose he would have plenty of time to get back on the winning track, and lets face it he took Submission of the Night 3 times in a row - should he replicate something like that then he's straight back in the mixer even if he's lost. Should he keep undefeated well then I think it's there for him, I think he's one of the very very few people who bring something to the table that I think could legitimately worry Silva in a fight.

Edited by IAceI

Ah, I see what you are saying. I think if Maia can handle Sonnen in short order, the UFC will bump up his competition. You think with Okami, the winner of Hendo/Ace, if Nate beats Wilson, you've got a nice four man eliminator if you throw Demian in the mix too if he wins, but that's a scenario for a perfect world.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

There's a quote from Dana White knocking about somewhere that if Matt Hughes is in the right health, the Serra fight could finally happen at UFC 96.

It'd be long overdue to the point it's nowhere near as big a draw, but still worth a main event slot.

And if Coleman beats Shogun again I'm gonna plotz, especially if it means he gets to fight Liddell.

Actually scratch that...

"Just got a call from Joe Silva and as of right now it looks like I'll be fighting Matt Serra in Vegas on May 23rd. This is not 100% confirmed, but I believe it is going to be on this date."
Edited by ZJ

Hope that quote from Matt Hughes comes to fruition. He's the first fighter I really took an interest in, seeing him just pick people up and slam them on their faces was a massive reason why I kept watching MMA and his career is no doubt winding down. If he were to break in Matt Serra's face .. on my birthday no less .. then that would just be fantastic.

I know people really dislike Matt Hughes, but there's no doubt that Hughes and Serra would get the crowd involved in the run up to the match - would be massive amounts of talk between the two of them and then seeing it translate into the octagon would be fantastic. Shame I usually see the fights on a one day delay and therefore will be a bit behind - but Hughes could make it a good birthday present for me there.

EDIT: As for that video. Some of those replies are fucking ridiculous.

Edited by IAceI

If Hughes wins, Serra has to deliver an array of pasta dishes to Hughes' door. If Serra wins, Hughes has to serve the entire Serra clan a nice, hearty, country breakfast. Mmmm, heaps of raw back bacon.

So basically what Ace said.

Matt Serra reminds me so much of one of my friends. A cocky, little, Italian dude who is obsessed with jits. It's always saved a place for Serra in my heart because of that.

This Wednesday is when the first of three parts of UFC Primetime: St. Pierre vs. Penn II starts. It's apparently modeled after the HBO 24/7 series and not filmed by Spike. I wonder, if this is successful, if they'll continue it with some other big upcoming fights like Serra/Hughes (probably not but these two could use more than just 20 minutes on the regular countdown show). and Lesnar vs. Mir II.

Edit: And for those of you who usually watch the Countdown shows on Spike, for some reason Spike is not airing the Countdown to UFC 93, so UFC.com has it up on their website. But there is an all new All Access with Rich Franklin at 1am Wednesday (well, Thursday morning).

Edited by Fitzy