MMA News and Discussion Thread

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Barnett/Yvel

This fight reminded me of Lesnar/Herring in that Yvel was clearly outclassed but Barnett just couldn't finish. Good on Yvel for being such a glutton for punishment, but I'm already looking forward to Barnett/Fedor

Guest Mr. Potato Head

And Fedor/Arlovski

I think they could do a rematch. Arlovski was giving Fedor trouble, that kick clearly stunned him - but he was able to come back and throw a great punch. Awesome.

Overall show thoughts are that it was a great show - if you have any means of watching it, do so. Better than any UFC in months, and it's too bad that Affliction's going to be out of business soon.

Fedor vs. Arlovski

Like Tito said, Arlovski was clearly getting the better of Fedor in the round, it's just those small mistakes that cost fighters. I swear that Fedor is inhuman though. Still, nothing too overwhelming by Arlovski. Just made a bad mistake by trying to get too fancy and got caught. If anything, he should have slowly went in with a pair of jabs instead of trying a fucking flying knee.

Like MPH said, great night of fights. I wasn't disappointed and thought that the show was well put together. Hopefully Affliction can run another show in less than six months, cause I sure as hell enjoyed this one.

I've only seen Fedor/Arlovski, excellent knockout.

Also, that idiot ring announcer claiming Fedor is the undisputed heavyweight champion of the world. Guy, really? I didn't realize he defeated the UFC heavyweight champion and unified the titles.

I'll see the rest tomorrow at some point.

I didn't hear him being called the undisputed champion, just the undisputed #1 heavyweight, and he is. Fedor is the #1 heavyweight; there's no real disputing that. He's beaten six former UFC Heavyweight Champions (soon to be seven) and just knocked out the #2 ranked heavyweight in the world.

If Fedor fights Barnett next, and it's looking that way, he'll beat him. That'll make Fedor the greatest fighter of all time in my eyes, beating #2 and #3... he beat Nogueira when he was #1 and beat him in their rematch, and has been unstoppable.

Anyway, fantastic night of fights. I thought the Vitor Belfort knockout was more impressive than Fedor's, though Andrei being knocked out mid-air was particularly awesome. Great night of fights (though I bet Dan Lauzon's balls are sore...)

I've only seen Fedor/Arlovski, excellent knockout.

Also, that idiot ring announcer claiming Fedor is the undisputed heavyweight champion of the world. Guy, really? I didn't realize he defeated the UFC heavyweight champion and unified the titles.

I'll see the rest tomorrow at some point.

I didn't hear him being called the undisputed champion, just the undisputed #1 heavyweight, and he is. Fedor is the #1 heavyweight; there's no real disputing that. He's beaten six former UFC Heavyweight Champions (soon to be seven) and just knocked out the #2 ranked heavyweight in the world.

I just watched it again and he clearly states WAMMA undisputed heavyweight champion.
Edited by Fitzy

Why would you attempt a flying knee against someone like Fedor? In my mind, Arlovski is the only person who can beat Fedor. Even though he got knocked out tonight, Arlivski has the skills to beat Fedor. He just made a stupid decision. Arlovski needs to stop trying to impress the crowds and just play it smart.

Question about Fedor/Arlovski:

Is it just me, or did that KO punch by Fedor look like it totally missed? I watched it over and over again, and it seemed like it barely scratched Arlovski. Maybe Arlovski has a glass jaw? Or maybe Fedor has so much power in his punches, that he doesn't even need to hit to knock the opponent out. :)

Fedor is clutch. Always. He's a master of countering any early shortcomings with one, swift movement, whether it's striking, from the ground or feet, or just a well timed pivot. It's like his brain is working two steps ahead of his opponent's and doing all the the calculations to find the exact moment to end the fight. He's timing and execution are flawless.

Andrei should get consideration for another shot and showed could very well win if he keeps it in his pants until the appropriate time, but there needs to be Andrei vs. Josh at the very least before either of those guys gets Fedor. Josh looked very meh against Pedro and Yvel, and Andrei had his chance and lost, this time he'll need something more than Rothwell or Nelson to warrant taking a short cut back to Mount Fedor. It only makes sense Barnett vs. Arlovski comes next.

Thank Jesus Vitor knock the jock stank off of Matt "The Law...zzzz" Lindland. Matt is one of the most unlikeable guys in the sport, IMO. Not a horrible human being, but he doesn't give anybody outside of Team Quest much, if any, respect. Vitor was my first favorite fighter, any time he scores a comeback win, I find it very hard to shake the notion that THIS is the time for him to take the next step to greatness. I mean he rarely follows up, but it at least it gives me a reason to yell "MOMMA! WE BACK! WE BACK!" for the time being.

WEC 38 tonight! Come for Faber/Pulver II, stay for Cerrone/Varner. Jose Aldo is on the main card too, he could very well be a big deal in the making. All in all, WEC rarely disappoints in the entertainment department. What they lack in names, they make up for in the fighter performances.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy