MMA News and Discussion Thread

I'm not sure which part you think is bullshit.

If it's Ken... well, you don't spar on the day of your fight. He knows better than that.

If it's about Seth and EliteXC... that's just what he claimed, and that sparked an investigation and killed the company.

So, like I said, Ken Shamrock is indirectly responsible for it shutting down.

Yes you do. especially if your on a long losing streak. You go over your last minute preperations, and he was rolling, they collided heads, it's happened. Ken didn't do anything wrong.

I don't remember the story. Was he rolling or sparring? If he was sparring on fight day, he is a dumbass. As far as I know, you shouldn't be punching anything but pads on fight day. If he was rolling and simply bumped heads, then I can understand.

He was rolling i believe. but even still you do. i've fought, and trained and thats what people do. you go light sparring, you may not go all out.

Plus,

Heads can collide, shit happens. Shamrock has scar tissues from many fights and pro wrestling days, he cuts easily, it was purely accidental.

CBS is just mad, because if Ken would have fought and he would have won, the hype train would still be on. but since he lost to Seth, people stopped caring.

Apparently, the tongue-in-cheek stuff doesn't translate well to the internet.

The point I was getting at, was that EliteXC mis-managed itself into closing down, but the straw that broke the camel's back was their appointed star being bitchslapped by a former UFC job guy. Then, when Seth Petruzelli let it slip that they'd told him to stand up, the whole deal just fell apart.

EliteXC and CBS blame Ken Shamrock for the whole fiasco... but only because it's easy to make him look like the bad guy in the situation to people not in the know.

Apparently, the tongue-in-cheek stuff doesn't translate well to the internet.

The point I was getting at, was that EliteXC mis-managed itself into closing down, but the straw that broke the camel's back was their appointed star being bitchslapped by a former UFC job guy. Then, when Seth Petruzelli let it slip that they'd told him to stand up, the whole deal just fell apart.

EliteXC and CBS blame Ken Shamrock for the whole fiasco... but only because it's easy to make him look like the bad guy in the situation to people not in the know.

But what people don't realize, is that Seth Petruzelli is a pretty good fighter. He has pretty good strikes and wrestling. Petruzelli is a tough cookie, he may be wierd but he didn't get a fair shake in the UFC. hopefully they will bring him back after he beats down Doug Marshall.

But yeah, CBS and EliteXC where crooked and dumb. You don't build around a guy with no expierence and no talent. i mean everyone knew he was going to get smacked down by Shamrock/Seth if they watched the Thompson fight, which should have been stopped in the second round.

Kimbo is a joke, and i won't watch him fight unless i'm 100% sure he'll lose.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

The fact that Petruzelli's next fight is against Doug Marshall on a card headlined by a ROY JONES JUNIOR BOXING MATCH is a good sign that he's not a great fighter, otherwise somebody would have capitalized on his star power.

The fact that Petruzelli's next fight is against Doug Marshall on a card headlined by a ROY JONES JUNIOR BOXING MATCH is a good sign that he's not a great fighter, otherwise somebody would have capitalized on his star power.

I Never said he was a great fighter, i said he was a pretty good one. And Seth Still doesn't have alot of starpower. And both Roy Nelson and Jeff Monson are fighting on that card and both of them are top 15 Heavies.

And Roy Jones JR. is a superstar, he is a big name. I personally can't wait for this event.

Right then, we've managed to hold off talking about it pointlessley for longer than most forums, but seeing as Dana White is...

"UFC 100 will more than likely have Georges St. Pierre defending his welterweight title."

So yeah, thoughts? I don't think that, as good as this fight could be and a potential new champion, it'll main event. Lesnar or Mir appearing I'd say was no go, so probably Evans/Rampage in the ME? Of course that all hinges on Jackson beating Jardine. Which could mean we go to Evans/Machida, and I don't think thats a great finale either.

As far as things I'd like to see, Couture should be on there, perhaps a fight with Nogueira. And if Wanderlei/Liddell are healthy, they should be on too. I think we'll see some HOF inductees too; Tank, Hughes, maybe Don Frye?

Edited by ZJ Penn

If Rampage beats Jardine, than it'll be Evans and Rampage headlining over GSP and Alves. If it's Evans and Machida, than it'll most likely be GSP and Alves headlining it.

From what I heard, Couture's next fight is at 205, so he wouldn't be taking on any heavyweights.

Really? I heard the complete opposite. That there were fights for him at LHW (Couture/Liddell IV being one) but he wanted to stay at his natural weight. If a move to LHW is right though, I'd be pumped for Couture/Wanderlei, despite his move to middleweight. That's maybe because I just watched UFC 49 though...

Wandy has become so bread and butter that I have not much doubt in my mind a focused and prepared Couture would eat with milk for breakfast.

Not sure why there has been little to no talk of Nog vs. Couture. That seems like one of the most natural match ups at heavyweight out there. Maybe it's just me, I don't hit up MMA forums at all. Mainly because they are complete shit. It's all whining fanboys, wannabe fighters, and 12 year old pretending to take BJJ. Sucks, because I love good MMA convo.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

Guest Mr. Potato Head

I haven't heard anything about Couture moving to 205. While I think it would probably be good for him career-wise, it would be bad for UFC...at HW, he's got the Nog fight EBG alluded to, maybe a Lesnar or Mir match, and then he can move into a Liddell-like role where he jobs to guys like Velasquez.

I hear rumors of Overeem coming over to UFC. Not many better places for his debut than at UFC 100.

I also disagree with the rumors of every title being on the line, and given recent bookings it looks like that won't happen. I fully expect Light Heavyweight, Welterweight, and Lightweight to be on the line though. Doubtful on the rest to be defended. Almost definitely a no on Heavyweight.

Edited by damshow

Cain vs. the winner of Carwin/Gonzaga, please. The man still standing at the end of that scenario should get Couture, if he is available for a fight around that time.

i guess Gonzaga/Couture II could be good. but personally i think the winner should get Kongo then title shot.

Kongo, really? I've never been overly impressed with Kongo.

All these guys still have something to prove and it makes sense to have Nog/Couture, winner gets Brock/Mir. Realistically, I don't know what the odds are of Couture getting in the mix again or how long he plans on fighting in the UFC, but if sticks around I think he's destined to be in a measuring stick role where he takes on the likes Carwin, Cain, Kongo, or Gozaga pt. II. Then we see what happens to the Natural from there. He's in great shape and nothing I've seen shows that his skills have diminished. Brock is just a beast and was a stylistic nightmare for Randy, but there is no way he keeps fighting for much longer.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy