MMA News and Discussion Thread

I didn't get to see all of UFC 95 (I only got to see the preliminary fights and Marquardt's win over Gouveia, and am depressed I didn't get to see Koscheck KO'd), but I thought the Terry Etim fight was interesting for one reason: the first time he got taken to the ground, he looked like he bored to tears more than annoyed when Cobb was punching him in the side.

Pfff... Leites, Okami, Bisping... :shifty:

Anderson Silva will be retired before he gets to face Demian Maia. And I thought there were no worthy contenders left in the middleweight division :unsure:

There's always "Contenders". What it comes down to though, is how many of them can out-do Anderson Silva? Maia's Jiu-Jitsu is so good that if he could get the fight to the ground, he could very possibly submit The Spider.

Hendo had Silva's number in their fight until he put himself in a bad position and Anderson took advantage of it.

Okami, I believe has a win over Silva already, by Disqualification. In fact, that was his last defeat. I never saw the fight, so I'm not sure how it was going prior to that, but Okami is a very dangerous opponent.

Outside of those three guys, I can only see someone else wearing the belt if Silva retires or just gets bored like he looked during the Cote fight.

That's not to take anything away from Patrick Cote. I really enjoy him as a fighter, and he will get his rematch... but Silva was visibly just messing around in there. I think it was more to do with the fact that he's had little to no trouble in his UFC tenure, and less to do with who he was actually facing.

There's a long list of guys at 185 who could slot in against Silva for the belt, and have a legitimate case as to why they deserve to be there. It's a jam packed division... but like I said... there's three guys I can see unseating him as Champion, and that's just a possibility, not a guarantee. Silva could easily dispatch all three guys as well.

I'm not going to talk about pound for pound shit, because I hate that... but Anderson Silva will go down in history as the most dominant 185 pound fighter in the world.

The Cote fight was exciting for me until the injury. Silva wasn't committing, which was building up hope in me that Patrick Cote would catch Silva with something. I would have marked out. I like Silva, but I have to cheer for the Canadians.

The Cote fight was exciting for me until the injury. Silva wasn't committing, which was building up hope in me that Patrick Cote would catch Silva with something. I would have marked out. I like Silva, but I have to cheer for the Canadians.

I was in the same boat. Silva's lack of interest had me on the edge of my seat, just waiting for Cote to unload with something.

What happened in the fight was unfortunate, but when he's healthy, Cote will likely be given a rematch, probably in a return to Canada. That is, assuming the provinces of Ontario and Quebec don't go through with banning elbow strikes.

I doubt Ontario will ban elbow strikes seeing as they haven't legalized MMA.

Well, then it must have just been Quebec. My memory isn't the greatest... but I remember someone posted that story here, about how UFC in Canada was being jeopardized by ignorant athletic commissions.

If my WMMA games are any indication, Thomson/Melendez should be awesome. :shifty:

Thomson picked him apart in their first fight. It was 25 minutes of Gilbert Melendez being embarrassed by a guy who is just leagues better than him.

It really exposed Melendez's lack of all-around ability. He's just not at that level yet.

I don't see the second fight being any different. Thomson might finish this time, but that's it.

Guest Mr. Plow

Observer notes...

-UFC's 185 division is a complete mess...one idea is to put Okami against Dan Miller, with Okami getting a shot only if he wins, meaning Marquadt or Maia could be in line for the Silva/Leites winner.

-Meltzer pegs the odds of Cro Cop on the Germany show as less than 50%

-The second Strikeforce show (tentatively scheduled for MAy in Tacoma) will see a Lawler match, hopefully Carano and Baroni, and they're trying to put together Feijao vs. Babalu (Babalu hasn't agreed)

-Affliction might be holding a show in June

-Pennsyvania has regulated MMA

-Hasim Rahman is the latest boxer to talk about doing MMA, he wants to fight Kimbo

Holy crap... how long are they going to keep pushing Okami aside?

I understand that 185 is a clusterfuck because of the amount of contenders and Silva's dominance... but at the same time, Okami's been considered the top contender by a lot of people for what, a year and a half now? Jesus Christ.

Holy crap... how long are they going to keep pushing Okami aside?

I understand that 185 is a clusterfuck because of the amount of contenders and Silva's dominance... but at the same time, Okami's been considered the top contender by a lot of people for what, a year and a half now? Jesus Christ.

Personally i don't think he should get a title shot. i mean who has he beat in the UFC thats even been an arms length away from a title shot? Swick and Jason MacDonald not good enough.

Also Leites definitely shouldn't be getting a shot, he lost that fight to Marquart (well he technically won it, but he shouldn't have).

The next shot should be the winner of Henderson/Bisping, because either winner will have a win over a higher ranked opponent then Okami or Leites will hold.

WEC 39: Brown vs. Garcia

Brown is awesome. First Faber and now easily defeated Garcia. One punch knocks Garcia down and he could not recover at all and Brown was just throwing fists and elbows on the ground and then finished him off with an arm triangle.

Also looking good tonight was Damacio Page, knocking out Marcos Galvo in 18 seconds. Good stuff.

Other thoughts: Good fight with Lamas and Palaszewski. Aldo continues to impress in there as well. And as for McCullough vs. Hicks, rounds 1 and 3 were boring but the second round was what the entire fight should have been but each guy was not willing to do much of anything outside of this one round. Also nice to have Todd Harris back on commentary after having to sit through that other guy at WEC 38. Harris is good. I wonder why Frank Mir wasn't there tonight. Him and Harris were a really good commentary team. I didn't mind Jens Pulver, though. He seemed to really enjoy the fights.

Up next for WEC is Miguel Torres defending the bantamweight title against Takeya Mizugaki. Brian Bowles was originally going to be fighting him (was looking forward to that, too) for the title but an injury forced him out.

And it looks like it will be Brown/Faber II for the next featherweight title fight probably at WEC 41.

Edited by Fitzy

WEC 39: Brown vs. Garcia

Brown is awesome. First Faber and now easily defeated Garcia. One punch knocks Garcia down and he could not recover at all and Brown was just throwing fists and elbows on the ground and then finished him off with an arm triangle.

Also looking good tonight was Damacio Page, knocking out Marcos Galvo in 18 seconds. Good stuff.

Other thoughts: Good fight with Lamas and Palaszewski. Aldo continues to impress in there as well. And as for McCullough vs. Hicks, rounds 1 and 3 were boring but the second round was what the entire fight should have been but each guy was not willing to do much of anything outside of this one round. Also nice to have Todd Harris back on commentary after having to sit through that other guy at WEC 38. Harris is good. I wonder why Frank Mir wasn't there tonight. Him and Harris were a really good commentary team. I didn't mind Jens Pulver, though. He seemed to really enjoy the fights.

Up next for WEC is Miguel Torres defending the bantamweight title against Takeya Mizugaki. Brian Bowles was originally going to be fighting him (was looking forward to that, too) for the title but an injury forced him out.

And it looks like it will be Brown/Faber II for the next featherweight title fight probably at WEC 41.

was a good show.

I've been telling people Mayhem is the real deal.

He's going to destroy Faber again, Brown is for real.

I believe Mir wasn't doing commentary because he's so close to his big fight with Lesnar that he's probably too busy

Guest Mr. Potato Head

And as for matches that have been officially announced...

Josh Koscheck vs. Chris Wilson at UFC 98

Ben Saunders vs. Mike Swick at UFC 99 (I'm salivating already)

Randy Couture vs. Big Nog at UFC 101

Also, and this is hilarious, Bobby Lashley's opponent for March 21 has been named...

...it's KEN SHAMROCK.

What the fuck, Kenny?

And as for matches that have been officially announced...

Josh Koscheck vs. Chris Wilson at UFC 98

Ben Saunders vs. Mike Swick at UFC 99 (I'm salivating already)

Randy Couture vs. Big Nog at UFC 101

Also, and this is hilarious, Bobby Lashley's opponent for March 21 has been named...

...it's KEN SHAMROCK.

What the fuck, Kenny?

1) I think Koscheck will handle Wilson, he may not do it quickly but i think he will beat him.

2) Swick will probably KO Saunders Round one or two.

3) I got Couture via UD.

4) Awesome. Tough fight for both, Ken is expierenced and a good wrestler with heavy hands. Lashley is a strong athletic wrestler with minimal expierence. I think either Lashley takes Ken down and goe's Tito on him, or Lashley avoids the ground and we see if he can take a hit.

This is a lose/lose for Shamrock though. If he wins, well he beat a 1-0 fighter. If he loses he lost to a 1-0 fighter. But it will probably make him some money, and get some publicity. If Lashley wins this fight and one or two more i think he is UFC Bound or maybe Dream/WVR. Hell he could definitely get a fight with Affliction with the win.